iOS 7 Overall Opinions

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by BuCkDoG, Aug 4, 2013.

1. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

So after 4 Betas and around 2 months of testing, whats everyones overall verdicts and opinions concerning the next version of iOS. I personally think it is a welcoming change and a much needed facelift to the platform, but there is still much more room for growth and improvement.

2. andaman-sea macrumors newbie

Overall score: Mediocre

iOS 7 is a list of harshly completed ideas.

It's being presented as more simple than its predecessor, yet is more confusing due to its excessive simplicity. Though it does retain most, if not all of the same usability as the previous version.

The biggest change is the color palette, which is now limited to candy toned hues and isn't that exciting to look at no matter how many times you look at it.

Other problems include things like: random slow downs, random crashes, and an overall glitchy interface.

Either Apple puts this into overdrive before final release, or it will be a boring ride until iOS 8.

3. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I think it quite nice. The design is fantastic. What I hope to see of the app switcher updated. Right now it's a bit slow to switch between them. I'd rather see the paging effect come back than the current scroll. Other than that I'm happy.

4. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

I love it. Beta 4 has been very stable for me. I think it looks very modern and elegant, although I know many do not like it. The way the phone sort of themes itself around your wallpaper of choice is fantastic.

As for new features, Control Center is extremely useful, Siri is improved, and the default apps getting a fresh coat of paint makes them great to use. Expect a ton of negative responses in the thread though...

5. batting1000 macrumors 604

I really like it. Just hoping that the battery life gets a lot better when it's released (yes, I know it's in beta right now).

6. Deasnutz macrumors 6502

It's not really bringing anything new to the table.

It's got uniformity issues.

The usual Apple intuitiveness isn't quite there with some of the changes, but I guess that should be expected since they fired the creator of IOS and are in a more desperate position to please shareholders.

They are more geared towards a younger (kids) market, then battling for the pro and premium base (they've already lost to Google).

The future is now the Google Play Edition devices.

7. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

IMO iOS 7 is there just for the sake of it. I know everyone was expecting a facelift and complaining about the stale look of iOS 6; but what we have is totally uncharacteristic of Apple. By making OS flat they could have still kept the color and tone of iOS 6. Instead of focussing on unnecessary visual aspect of the OS, they could have focussed on core features for ease of use. Features such as quick reply OS wide, quick transition between Apps and quick sharing between Apps etc. (There are good threads around those fearures).

8. kidtachyon macrumors member

I love it. Things change and that's ok. I would hate to go back to iOS 6.

9. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I do not have iOS7 yet but have been following this forum quite closely. I really like it and am excitingly looking forward to being able to download it.

If I get it with my new iPhone (5s or 6) then I'll be ecstatic!

10. maxosx macrumors 68020

Unlike many others, I'm not bored nor do I dislike iOS 6. Actually I quite like it. When it comes to iOS 7, I'm trying to accept its pastel colors & less than attractive icons. That's being kind and avoiding a stronger description of my disappointment.

Features & functionality aren't anything compelling either, so I'll avoid it as long as I can. I'm keeping my iPhone 5 which will be the first time I haven't upgraded to the newest iPhone. Taking a wait and see approach I can only hope that Apple gives us something better this time next year.

11. JohnGrey macrumors 6502

JohnGrey

I agree completely on skipping this iteration if the final retail retains the current character of iOS7. Perhaps iOS8 will inspire me again. I'm probably going to go with the Nexus 5 to match my new 7.

12. nitromac, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013

nitromac macrumors 6502

It just feels unfinished. And unnecessary.

Sure, it's a new design but that got old within ~5 minutes of use. Control center is nice I guess, no complaints there. However getting to the lock screen (after the phone's been on standby) takes like an entire second longer. I don't know if it's a beta thing but by the 4th version you'd think they'd have figured it out. And the blasting of colors to your face gets really annoying when using it for a while.

There are some god awful icons that need a redesign (settings, app store, itunes). And it's pretty hard to see them and read the text because the shadows from ios6 are gone. I understand it's supposed to be a flat look but at least make it only subtle. It makes it a ton easier to see what the hell I'm pressing.

I don't know, it just feels like a photoshop contest of iOS6. The small handful of new features is cool but apart from that it just feels like the same thing. Just more annoying.

EDIT: It's also very awkward looking on anything other than an iPhone 5. It makes my 4S screen look absolutely tiny with the larger/rounder icons.

13. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

So far I like it!

I wasn't boring with the look of previous iOS's but it doesn't bother me the change either and after a couple of weeks using it you become accustom to it.

Aside from crashes and some performance issues normal to beta stages, I don't have a problem with it.

I think that once it's released and developers start to update and release the apps to match the look it, it's going to look uniformly and way better than now.

14. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

I think when people say: iOS is stalled, hey are not only meant for the exactly same set of icons for past 6 years. Yes the icons are feel old and outdated comparing with new flat design, but icons are just part of it. When people saying iOS is stalled, it means that we have exactly same way of using iOS for past 6 years. The old way of operating might be good when iOS is still relative new and the app centric approach might be easier for people to adopt, but it gets in your way quickly.

While iOS brought us completely new looks and new icon design, i am not going to debt about he design. New control centre certainly brings convince and faster to complete some basic operation. Notification helps you see your today's weather and schedule in one place. New Siri interface looked nice and clean, it completes more tasks than before. Auto app Audrey is great and new multitasking switcher is great.

While these changes and improvements are welcome, but iOS 7 still keeps old way of using iOS 7. I have hard time calling iOS 7 a modern mobile OS. Even though iOS 7 gets a new skin, but way of using iOS 7 still kept the same. This has not changed since 2007 and it will probably keeps the same in the future. It is really sad to me.

15. MindsEye macrumors regular

Haven't tried it yet, but it seems to be a decent step in the right direction. Especially in comparison to the joke of an update iOS 6 was.

Yeah facebook, twitter, maps and siri are just swell but i feel these should be "in addition to" features instead of being placed at the the forefront. I'm so glad Apple did a 180 and one of the major focuses (as any new OS should be) was on the numerous improvements made to the functionality.

Things like control centre, multitasking, notification centre, folders and smaller things like being able to check/control app data usage, live icons and automatic app updates have me cautiously optimistic for the future of the OS.

16. fabytmHD, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013

fabytmHD macrumors regular

I actually like it.While I was not bored with iOS 6(I could've easily used it for a few more years), after trying iOS 7 beta, it feels hard to go back!That, to me means that I enjoy the OS!The features that have been implemented(iCloud KeyChain, Control Center, Automatic Updates, AirDrop, Siri and a few more) are really helpful.

Also, I find myself using stock apps more and more!I used to never use the stock weather app on iOS 6(I used the App Store Yahoo Weather app).Now, I mostly use the iOS 7 Weather app, I started using the camera app more, Safari, Apple Maps, Notes and Compass(which is awesome).

Overall, on a scale from 1 to 10, I'd give it a solid 9!

17. Luuthian macrumors member

I think it's fantastic. Is it revolutionary? No. But it didn't need to be. It's evolutionary, and that's all iOS required.

iOS7's new icons are debatable when it comes to their appeal, but everything else received a brilliant facelift. Multitasking finally makes sense and Safari is better than ever. The quick options were a great idea and the new pull down "today" bar is actually useful for once.

I could talk about other, finer, details, but why bother? The phone does everything well that a phone needs to do. And with the new features it's made those simple things even better. I honestly don't know what people were looking for. Widgets were never going to happen, and honestly wouldn't bring much to the table, and a larger screen size isn't really necessary.

The new icons are weak, but overall I think iOS7 finally made my phone feel fresh again.

18. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

I love it
    I dont' think i wan't to go back to iOS 6.... (except for the music app... that needs a lot of work in iOS 7)

besides that. iOS 7 > 6 in my humble opinion.

19. dontpannic macrumors 6502

dontpannic

Really? You're listing those as things you don't like about iOS7?

The fact is, these problems will not be present in the release version of the operating system, so you don't really have the right to complain about those issues.

20. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Something I noticed the other day... If you swipe the icons rather than the previews, it scrolls much faster. If that's what you mean by slow, at least.

21. andaman-sea, Aug 5, 2013

andaman-sea macrumors newbie

It runs like a tub of lard compared to the fluidity of iOS 6.

Rearranging icons within folders have just been made incredibly difficult.

And really, adding a control panel doesn't count as a big update.

I can see why some people like it, but it's not like it works better than iOS 6 and I'm not clawing my way past people in the Apple store to demo it.

22. iapplelove macrumors 68030

iapplelove

I have been using ios7 since beta1 also and I am on the side of meh. I like some of the new features but wasn't one of the masses begging for a massive iOS overall . I didn't think ios6 was stale . Sure it could have used some tweaking but over all ios7 hasn't blown me away

23. Gymgenius Suspended

I really like it.
    I wouldn't revert to 6.1.4 - which seems 'old' to me now!

24. TwoBytes, Aug 5, 2013

TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

It feels unfinished, no uniformity within OSX or iOS(!), white hurts my eyes, bright colors for kids. Too much txt instead of icons compared to iOS6. The biggest pita is taking away functionality.

Wish they left iOS6 and just added the new bits like control centre

25. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Design-wise (fonts, menues, etc.) I like it a lot, I just wish for a darker option and black or white symbols in the settings menus, as well as a better set of stock icons, because I still find their color composition does not fit at all.