iOS 7 performance on iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by HMI, Aug 11, 2013.

1. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

How is the sluggishness/response time and battery charge/drain time for iOS 7 on the iPad 3?

Any other thoughts or comments on your experiences with the performance or use of some features?

2. cschmelz macrumors 6502

Runs great. I waited until Beta 5 to update and so far I've been VERY happy with the performance.

I'm not 100% happy with the look of the dock and such compared to how nice beta 5 looks on the iPhone 5 but I'm sure it will come around yet.

3. dsh3 macrumors 6502

dsh3

I tried beta 1+2 one my iPad 3. gen, and it was horrible. The keyboard couldn't even keep up with me writing, and everything was sluggish and very unresponsive.

With beta 5 it is SO much better. Definitely not on par with my iPhone 5, but certainly usable without any major performance issues.

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Agreed. I've found iOS7 to be much smoother on my iPhone 5, but b5 is the first beta I've actually left on my iPad 3. It's fairly smooth, and aside from on occasional lockup, pretty reliable. Multitasking is still slow, though.

5. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping they don't disable blur on the iPad 3 come GM time.

6. HMI thread starter macrumors 6502a

HMI

I know there are other similar threads, but....

I'm going to bump this one anyway, because I want to know about iOS 7 GM performance on the iPad 3 specifically.

Please keep the conversation limited to just iOS 7GM on iPad 3

Thanks!

7. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

8. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

Thinking about upgrading my iPad 3 to iOS7 to see if I can tolerate it before I make a final decision on whether or not to upgrade from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5S. Have a question and thought I'd post it here rather than starting a new thread.

Screensavers - Can we have them in iOS7 or are we stuck with one animated looking default?

Thanks

9. AaronMT macrumors regular

AaronMT

I have the GM with a fresh install on my iPad 3 and the entire OS is sluggish and slow. It takes roughly ~12 seconds to pop a thumbnail up to set a wallpaper and ~8 to ~10 seconds to actually set it.

I'm not sure how this passed Apple performance testing and quality control.

10. HMI, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

HMI thread starter macrumors 6502a

HMI

Wow.

Did you use iTunes or OTA?
    Any other features you care to comment on?

I'm guessing they designed iOS 7 for the iPhone 5S/iPad 5, then tweaked a hobbled version of it to work on the iPhone 4/iPad 2, and just decided that anything between those two extremes should work, and they can just keep turning features on/off and fix bugs during updates. Not sure.

I'm planning on doing a clean install as a "new device" through iTunes tomorrow, then, like Kim, seeing how well it performs before deciding to go back to iOS 6 or not.

11. poplars macrumors newbie

Yikes, i certainly hope that isnt the case. I was hoping for better performance on my ipad 3 from ios 7, should i just stick to 6 and jailbreak it when possible? Or possibly jail break and tweak ios 7 to perform better on the ipad 3 specifically?

Can anyone else comment on ipad 3 performance on ios 7?

12. HMI thread starter macrumors 6502a

HMI

I believe you're referring to the animated wallpaper, and, to my knowledge, users are limited to the options that come with iOS 7 itself. Adding your own customized animated wallpaper might not yet be possible, but for those who choose to jailbreak, I imagine/assume Cydia might resolve that in time. To be fair, This is purely my conjecture, as I can't answer definitively at this point.

13. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

They did.

14. Septillion macrumors member

Septillion

Nothing particular with the performance, only looks not as good as other devices. Translucency is gone. Maybe forever.

15. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

The sluggishness seemed to have gone away after a couple days. I dont notice it anymore. Maybe just me *shrug*

But iPad 3 battery life still rocks

[​IMG]

16. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Battery is great. There is a slight delay when selecting certain things e.g wallpaper. There is also a slight delay on teh keyboard when going from letters to numbers.

None of this shoudl put you off though.

17. poplars macrumors newbie

That kind of does piss me off though. I expect flawless response out of my ipad, i feel like that should be something apple should be striving for, to maintain that seamless performance.

18. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I've been running the GM on my iPad 3 for the past week and while general functionality is fine, I have experienced crashes that reboots the entire OS. Really annoying.

19. Teste macrumors 6502

20. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I have not had any lag or performance issues on my iPad 3 with the GM except for the wallpaper delay. The GM is light years ahead of the last beta, which still had major crashing problems.

But, there are certainly iPad annoyances. The animations are still slow. The lack of transparency on the Control Center and Notification Center panes is grating. The ridiculously small folder windows are...ridiculous. (iPad folders should be 5 x 3, not 3 x 3). A few other interface elements look like they blew up the iPhone version.

But overall, it's worth the upgrade. I expect they'll address a few of the cosmetic issues by the time they release new iPads.

21. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I am nervous to update my ipad 3. It majorly drags on ios 6.

22. Droidrage729 macrumors 6502

I have ios 7 gm installed on my iPad 3 and 4 and have no issues on either device at all. Runs just as smooth as it does on my iphone 5.

23. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Your iPad3 shouldn't be dragging/lagging with ios6. Is your device filled nearly to capacity? That will slow it down. I have the 64GB models (iPad3 & iPad4) and it runs as smooth as silk on both of them.

I'm holding off on the update on all of my devices (5) until I hear more feedback and possibly see an update (or 2). By then some solid information about performance should come to light.

24. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I might restore it when I update to iOS 7 tonight. Maybe that will help.

25. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

Just updated, iOS7 iPad 3 64gb wifi.
    So far, it's not as snappy as I'd like, but it's still quick enough for me to wonder if it's just my perception.
    I'm curious what other users are experiencing.