Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
You guys must really never work in the corporate world. Apple never announced iOS7 release date but they do have internal timeline when to complete iOS 7. Is it that hard to understand or just being ignorant?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
This is what I call professional journalism.

Straight to the point, "yep".

Professional journalism? That's an oxymoron.

He's just saying how he sees things. He could be right. But he is only a journalist. And just like any rumour it's up to the reader to believe it or not. I will believe this one. But I certainly won't say it's confirmed. Only the direct mouth of Apple can confirm things.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
How many of his "yep" and "nope" comments have been accurate in the last year? I am guessing that if this guy has a 100% track record, then Apple is feeding him this information. If Apple is not giving him information, then they are not doing a great job of figuring out his circle of friends in an attempt to stop the leaks.

I wish someone would ask him if the new Mac Pro will be introduced at WWDC! ;)

As far as I know, it is generally understood that he receives info directly from the source. I can't remember a time in the past 5 years when he's been wrong. He opens his mouth a lot less often than most, but he's always 100% accurate. Clearly he's in the know.

brianc34

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
This dalrymple dude is annoying. He can't do more than 1 word? It's not cool anymore. I guess that's his "brand" or whatever, but give me a break. At least act like you care about your readers.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
This dalrymple dude is annoying. He can't do more than 1 word? It's not cool anymore. I guess that's his "brand" or whatever, but give me a break. At least act like you care about your readers.

It is either that or the mindless rambling of "analysts" that live in candy land. I'll take a simple confirm/deny any day of the week. The fact that he doesn't have to write a 300 word essay to defend it tells you that he probably knows what he's talking about.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009

He does do more than 1 word. He writes responses to articles and even does product reviews on his site.

The 1-word "Yep" or "Nope" are just when he's directly confirming/denying an Apple rumor based on inside information. Going into more detail in those cases could probably get someone in trouble.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I didn't even know Slash was working on OSX in the first place! He doesn't seem very pleased at being moved onto iOS though. :rolleyes:

Tastic Bycrom

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Obviously they need more people, though, if they keep pulling from other projects to work on iOS.

:eek:

There's probably enough overlap of skills & technology that OS X & iOS engineers (or more likely their entire team) can shift without much pain. We've heard rumors of shifting priorities before. Probably normal for them.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
this is obviously a controlled "leak" to get people to talk about it without actually giving anything away while it spreads like fire on the social media. i mean, its free viral marketing, what more could they ask for.

ElTorro

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
very sad that Apple, the largest tech company in the world is struggling to release two OSs. Clearly they are messing up in a big way if these are getting rushed out the door.

I agree. It is sort of natural for a small company to reallocate resources from one project to another to accelerate the development and let the other project slip. But for something of the size of Apple with virtually unlimited resources (cash-wise) not to have sufficient staff on the product that generates 50% of their revenue is almost ridiculous. Sounds like this company is still being run as it was a small startup.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I agree. It is sort of natural for a small company to reallocate resources from one project to another to accelerate the development and let the other project slip. But for something of the size of Apple with virtually unlimited resources (cash-wise) not to have sufficient staff on the product that generates 50% of their revenue is almost ridiculous. Sounds like this company is still being run as it was a small startup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month

Simmias

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
gotta love all those controlled leaks

Yup, funny how All Things D gets exclusive quotes from unnamed Apple sources just days before Tim Cook makes a headline appearance at their conference, and just weeks before Apple unveils iOS 7 at WWDC. Total coincidence, I'm sure.

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
Too bad Apple doesn't have the cash to hire additional engineers. :rolleyes:

(yes, I understand it takes time to get new employees up to speed and productive, so it wouldn't help right now; but they've had years to work out this particular issue)

Gah, beaten by 2 minutes. :(

I am a software dev pm and my engineers like to say to me, "it takes 9 months to give birth to a child but if you have 9 mothers, you still can't give birth in one month."

There is a point if maximum efficiency where any additional resource produces zero net gain (marginal utility = 0) (diminishing marginal return).

Because Apple has so much money, I have to assume that they already reach this efficiency point since that is the state where Apple maximizes its profit (assuming wage is negligible in comparison to the value of an on time delivery).

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Start the hype machines! :) I'm excited for any updates.

Concerned about 10.9, they must have the 'preview' under control and be confident they can push iOS7 out and get back to finishing 10.9 in time for release. Well one would hope so anyway.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It can be late if they can't ship the next iPhone with it or they have to delay the release of the iPhone because of the update.

This is 100% an argument of semantics. Nevertheless, the next iPhone also cannot yet be delayed as the consumers haven't yet been told a release date. We don't know Apple's internal schedule, nor should it matter to us consumers. If Apple promised that the next iPhone would come out by Aug 15th, and something caused it to come out on Sep 15th, then it would be a delay. However, right now, any date Apple gives us would be the first date we hear and is therefore perfectly on time. Same for iPhone shipping with iOS6. If Apple announces that the next iPhone ships with iOS6, we have no way of knowing that wasn't the plan for months now.

tito2020

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2011
Guess the share holders are pressuring them to speed it up or it will be to late.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
If only apple had enough money to hire more engineers :(

Good grief! Hiring more painters to put 6 coats of varnish on my livingroom floor won't get it done any quicker. Software development consists of a series of events, not parallel. A critical path needs to be followed, each step dependent on completion of the previous. Throwing more people at it would only result in something akin to the Apple Maps app.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
All I want to hear is with iOS 7 you can now set third party applications as default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.