Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sandmoose

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
Its missing a direct link for purchasing an Android!!!

So, from those developers out there that have their hands on the beta, what features would you say are still missing from iOS 7?

I personally don't think there is that much left to add, whether it be to a future update or a major update like iOS 8. The list so far is as follows:
  • The option to "Delete All" mail in folders other than Trash.
  • The option to "Delete All" texts.
  • A Street View-type of technology in Maps.
  • Multiple accounts on one iOS device.
  • Quick Reply.
  • iMessage audio.
  • A "Clear All" option for Notification Centre.
  • The ability to delete pre-installed apps.
  • A file system or centralised area for documents.
  • Plug-ins for default apps.
  • A "Progress Centre" to monitor updates, downloads, music playing etc.
  • An option to close all apps at the same time.
  • The option to turn off the 3D Home Screen view.
  • Manual selection of options in the Control Centre (e.g. turn on hotspots).
I'm sure I'm missing a lot and I'm sure some of the above will be met with some cries of derision, but feel free to discuss.

EDITED to remove NFC since it is a hardware feature, not a software one. Also added everything mentioned so far. :)

Its missing a direct link for purchasing an Android!!!

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
For me,

1. TouchPal, Swype or similar system-wide slide keyboard.

2. Location service, data, LTE toggles in control center.

3. Bluetooth device connection within control centre itself.

3. Weather info in notification centres should be brought back.

4. Ability to start/pause/skip/go previous music player from anywhere including not having to switch on the device using hardware buttons.

Kindakrazy

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2012
California, USA
Just a few things here:

1. Ability to customize the control center. I don't know about you fellas but having a link for the stop watch in there is pretty useless for me. I would much rather be able to turn off 3G/Location Services/LTE (separately) from here than going straight to settings.

2. Quick Reply! Holy balls. Whoever thinks this is a useless feature has never used it. I recommend if you have never used biteSMS to go youtube a video of it. It is not about saving an extra second it is about making the use of your device seamless.

3. Better APIs for Siri. Having Siri use google maps instead of apple maps and the ability for her to search through spotify was probably the best thing about jailbreaking.

Would be nice to not have to jailbreak (AND wait for a jailbreak :( ) my phone to have some pretty simple things.

YeahBuddy

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2011
Boston, MA
how come you can't search in safari, it drives me INSANE?!?! I play poker and other card games and I go look in standings for my friends and have to scroll though thousands of names instead of just typing in a search bar for their name... how is this not real?

In the unified search bar on iOS 7 or just the search bar in older versions of iOS, at the very bottom will be the "On this page" results.

joemeetsjane

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
perth
that funky iTunes Sharing folder that all individual apps let you export data into? make that globally accessible by all apps and a dedicated "files" app.

the app developer will specify what sort of file formats their app will access/view and that's it. basically the native "photos" app but for files. clutter and headache free.

oh yeah. and quick reply!

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
Shadows and gradients to separate the UI from the content. I mean there's too many strong gradients on the icons and not enough in the apps.

EG:

Attachments

• Mappy.png
    Mappy.png
    762.6 KB · Views: 177

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Shadows and gradients to separate the UI from the content. I mean there's too many strong gradients on the icons and not enough in the apps.

EG:
Definitely quite a few small things of this nature would make a HUGE difference in how much more refined/nicer things will actually look like compared to how they are in iOS 7 currently.

thuchu1

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
Auburn Hills, MI
Delete all texts would be nice. Also, iMessage audio. Not Facetime Audio. I want to respond at my convenience. I also don't want to use voice memos (which are nowhere to be found).

iMessage audio? So like a voicemail, but without calling and risking them picking up? I really don't get where this fits in.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iMessage audio? So like a voicemail, but without calling and risking them picking up? I really don't get where this fits in.
Skype just made this one of their bigger features--and it works cross-platform too.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
So, from those developers out there that have their hands on the beta, what features would you say are still missing from iOS 7?

I personally don't think there is that much left to add, whether it be to a future update or a major update like iOS 8. The list so far is as follows:
  • The option to "Delete All" mail in folders other than Trash.
  • The option to "Delete All" texts.
  • A Street View-type of technology in Maps.
  • Multiple accounts on one iOS device.
  • Quick Reply.
  • iMessage audio.
  • A "Clear All" option for Notification Centre.
  • The ability to delete pre-installed apps.
  • A file system or centralised area for documents.
  • Plug-ins for default apps.
  • A "Progress Centre" to monitor updates, downloads, music playing etc.
  • An option to close all apps at the same time.
  • The option to turn off the 3D Home Screen view.
  • Manual selection of options in the Control Centre (e.g. turn on hotspots).
I'm sure I'm missing a lot and I'm sure some of the above will be met with some cries of derision, but feel free to discuss.

EDITED to remove NFC since it is a hardware feature, not a software one. Also added everything mentioned so far. :)

Delete All, Close All: Fair enough
Street View: Dream on
Quick Reply: Not Lock Screen
iMessage Audio: You mean a phone call?
Delete Pre-Installed App: LMFAO!
Progress Center: Not needed at all
More options for control center: Agreed.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida

Think heytell - built right into iMessage. Not a voicemail message, but a conversation that you can tend to at your leisure.

Tap/Hold.
Speak
Sent.

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
In iTunes - Why do we still see music on our phones in excel spreadsheet mode? I would like to see album view w/artwork to know what's on my phone.

In iPhoto - Why can't I simply drag and drop what photos I want to appear on my phone the same as I do with any song? Why all this sync BS...

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
I am amazed at how many people want quick reply. I have tried biteSMS and I never got into the quick reply option. I guess if it was built into iOS 7 I would probably use it, but I don't see it at the top of my needs.

I would REALLY enjoy a file manager.

macdevon

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
I would give my two thumbs up to having some creative way to have multiple accounts/ switch between a work and non-work mode.

In calendars, I'd love the ability to do custom repeated events as well as system wide to have on a per calendar basis the ability to choose whether or not a shared calendar populates notification center, shows as a conflict, etc.

digitalove

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
In the lock screen - while playing a song - you can't control it, you can just control the volume.

I'd like to control the timing of the song directly from the lock screen.. would be so useful. I wonder why they didn't think about it..

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
I am amazed at how many people want quick reply. I have tried biteSMS and I never got into the quick reply option. I guess if it was built into iOS 7 I would probably use it, but I don't see it at the top of my needs.

I would REALLY enjoy a file manager.

I agree...I deleted biteSMS. It was kinda cool, but I preferred to engage in the conversation so I always open the messaging app, resulting in TWO apps open using precious RAM (iPhone 4s), just to do one thing.

No one ever texted me something that required ONE text...

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
I agree...I deleted biteSMS. It was kinda cool, but I preferred to engage in the conversation so I always open the messaging app, resulting in TWO apps open using precious RAM (iPhone 4s), just to do one thing.

No one ever texted me something that required ONE text...

So very true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.