Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doublex14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
PA
After updating yesterday afternoon my battery on my iPhone 6 was as normal if not better; but then today it randomly dropped 22% without me even using it. It's now draining at a faster pace and I'm worried if I should go back to 8.1.1 or if that will even fix this. I'm going to drain it, turn it off, then charge to 100%. How is your guys' battery?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
After updating yesterday afternoon my battery on my iPhone 6 was as normal if not better; but then today it randomly dropped 22% without me even using it. It's now draining at a faster pace and I'm worried if I should go back to 8.1.1 or if that will even fix this. I'm going to drain it, turn it off, then charge to 100%. How is your guys' battery?

it takes a few charge cycles after an update for the battery to settle.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Might have some app or service that went into a weird state, as occasionally can happen. Have you tried restarting just in case to terminate some stuck process or something else along those lines?

doublex14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
PA
Might have some app or service that went into a weird state, as occasionally can happen. Have you tried restarting just in case to terminate some stuck process or something else along those lines?

Yes and it somewhat improved. I'll drain it and charge to full though

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I usually do a hard reset after every update to clear any potential stuck processes and clear any little quirks/bugs that mighy of came up in updating, has been working great for me, been doing this for a while now too and updates have been very good for me

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I have never heard this before. What sources are you using?

Here you go:

http://www.appledystopia.com/how-to/calibrate-iphone-battery/

"Battery calibration accomplishes two things: it conditions the battery and helps the software calculate the range of battery life. One should calibrate the battery once a month and after every major iOS upgrade. If you upgrade iOS and notice diminished battery life, try calibrating the battery before anything else."

http://www.zdnet.com/article/poor-battery-life-after-installing-ios-7-1-try-these-simple-tips/

"When updates are installed onto iOS device it seems that the battery calibration data is wiped, and this is partly to blame for the rash of battery complaints following update."

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Here you go:

http://www.appledystopia.com/how-to/calibrate-iphone-battery/

"Battery calibration accomplishes two things: it conditions the battery and helps the software calculate the range of battery life. One should calibrate the battery once a month and after every major iOS upgrade. If you upgrade iOS and notice diminished battery life, try calibrating the battery before anything else."

http://www.zdnet.com/article/poor-battery-life-after-installing-ios-7-1-try-these-simple-tips/

"When updates are installed onto iOS device it seems that the battery calibration data is wiped, and this is partly to blame for the rash of battery complaints following update."

I've read the attached links. There may be an issue with the battery level reporting for some users but I don't think its a systemic issue with iphone that requires a recalibration once a month.

I still suspect many of these articles are only written to generAte web traffic.

Thanks for the links

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
The statement above is a popular myth that's false.

Apple.com has all the Tech Support Information needed.

Here's one pertinent link:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

My iP6+ battery life is up between 8% to 12% increase in run time.

Where exactly did you see anything in that entire article about how a battery acts after an iOS update? There is nothing stated there to support your claim.

Were you expecting a "by the way, sometimes when you update your iOS your battery may take a few days to stabilize" entry admitting that Apple has an issue? No company does that.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Apple moved away from specifying anything specific about it as they did before, but the general idea behind it isn't really a myth, it's just it's generally not something that would need to come up as often as some believed or might still believe: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/battery_calibration

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Pretty sure my 6+ battery is draining quicker since the latest update. Need another cycle to make sure.

Sal09

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom
Battery life on my 6+ has gone up a notch since the update. It was tremendously good before but now its even better. Yes my usage is low for today but still the battery is holding up pretty good :)

Attachments

• IMG_0074.PNG
    IMG_0074.PNG
    232.5 KB · Views: 395

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

Clean install or OTA? MY 6+ is draining faster after an OTA update. My previous two updates have been done OTA with no battery life impact.

----------

Battery life on my 6+ has gone up a notch since the update. It was tremendously good before but now its even better. Yes my usage is low for today but still the battery is holding up pretty good :)

Those stats are nothing special for the 6+ compared to what I was getting with 8.1.1
Of course usage varies from person to person.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Clean install or OTA?

No matter if it's my newest iPhone, iPad or MacBook Pro, I always choose to wipe it completely, perform a clean install and start fresh.

I backup my devices daily, and also maintain complete images. Although obviously it's laborious to start fresh, I'll purposely wait until I have time to do so since I have lots of patience and always have ideas regarding modifying my setups.

That's one of the reasons I love my Nexus 6 Android, that's an OS that offers endless possibilities. Each time I try something new it results in better productivity.

I'm five hours into a very busy day on my iPhone 6+ and thus far I'm positively thrilled and very impressed with both battery life and a bug free version of iOS 8.1.2. (12B440). :D

thedru13

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
After the update my battery life is horriable in my ip6+ i usually am fine with no charge the entire day streaming pandora on and off and google hangouts, email and text messaging.

today after leaving my phone on my desk streaming pandora for about an hour I was down to 8%. I was shocked. Never has this happened. My phone was burning hot as well.

So something happend after that update.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
After the update my battery life is horriable in my ip6+ i usually am fine with no charge the entire day streaming pandora on and off and google hangouts, email and text messaging.

today after leaving my phone on my desk streaming pandora for about an hour I was down to 8%. I was shocked. Never has this happened. My phone was burning hot as well.

So something happend after that update.

Definitely worse for me. I'm heading for approx a 2 hour reduction in runtime this charge cycle.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Mine is much worse than that. Also the phone feel like it's going to burst into flames.

Sounds like you definitely need to do a fresh install via iTunes.
I'm loathe to do likewise because I wasted hours with iOS7 doing fresh installs to cure battery drain and had zero positive results.
It bugs me when some people report improved battery life! Mine was superb on iOS8.1.1 but now it's mediocre.

thedru13

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Ok so when you say fresh install meaning do a set up as new phone then not restore from backup? I did that the last time I had an issue around this where I just started brand new only synced my contacts that was it. The thought of starting from scratch again makes me very cranky.

Sounds like you definitely need to do a fresh install via iTunes.
I'm loathe to do likewise because I wasted hours with iOS7 doing fresh installs to cure battery drain and had zero positive results.
It bugs me when some people report improved battery life! Mine was superb on iOS8.1.1 but now it's mediocre.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.