iOS 8.1 Code Hints at Retina HD Display for New iPads

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the iPhone 6, Apple debuted a new display technology called Retina HD, which resulted in wider viewer angles, higher resolutions, higher contrast and a thinner display. Developer Hamza Sood has now discovered frameworks within iOS 8.1 Beta 2 that contain '3x' assets that point to higher resolution displays in the new iPad models.

While the assets don't confirm that Retina HD displays will be on the new iPad models, it does suggest that Apple is looking at introducing the feature. Currently, it is unclear as to which iPad models would receive Retina HD displays, although some rumors have pointed to the rumored 12.9-inch iPad Pro sporting a higher resolution. Apple did include a Retina HD display with the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus, as the larger device received a higher resolution than its smaller counterpart.

Apple is expected to debut the new iPad Air (and potentially the next generation iPad Mini with Retina Display) at a media event on October 16 in its Cupertino campus. The company is also expected to introduce new iMacs, with at least the 27-inch variety coming with a Retina Display. It's also likely Apple gives a full overview of OS X Yosemite before its public launch.

Article Link: iOS 8.1 Code Hints at Retina HD Display for New iPads

joshwenke

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
It's actually pretty cool to dissect the iOS content and see what's behind it, like all the graphics that go into the operating system.

joshwenke

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
Just don't destroy the Mac Mini by removing all upgradeability so you can make it thinner. The dang thing is small enough. WE NEED FUNCTION, not FORM all the time :)
If only the Mac mini was an unreleased iPad, your post would be so much more applicable to this article.

joshwenke

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
Oh, so this is why the iOS updates are so huge! Because they have high-resolution graphics for everything taking up space, even if we don't have the new iPad. Genius :)

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
Looks like my 12" iOS/OS X combo iPad/Mac Air is gonna have a retina display.

clunkmess

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
California
I'm pretty darn happy with my iPad Air. They are going to have to do a lot more than better resolution to make me want to upgrade!

brendu

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2009
USA
I'm pretty darn happy with my iPad Air. They are going to have to do a lot more than better resolution to make me want to upgrade!
I feel the same way about my iPad 2. I can't justify paying for a new iPad when mine works fine and its a third tier device behind my iPhone and MacBook respectively.

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
Oh, so this is why the iOS updates are so huge! Because they have high-resolution graphics for everything taking up space, even if we don't have the new iPad. Genius :)
16GB has been too little space for me even in the iPhone 4 era. :confused:

deepbluecea

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
The original iPad was 132dpi, and the Retina iPad 264dpi. Extrapolating, a 3x "Retina HD" iPad would be 396dpi, which is nearly an exact match for the 401dpi used in the iPhone 6 Plus.

So it wouldn't surprise me if the iPad Air 2 were to get an ever-so-slightly smaller display (9.6") at exactly 401dpi, with a 3072x2304 "Retina HD" resolution. This would exactly mirror the situation with the iPhone 4/4s/5/5s/6 (326dpi) and Retina iPad Mini (326dpi) sharing the same resolution.

jterp7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2011
Just don't destroy the Mac Mini by removing all upgradeability so you can make it thinner. The dang thing is small enough. WE NEED FUNCTION, not FORM all the time :)
what i'd love for it to have, are the options of the imac, just without the display.

12.9 ipad MAX with 6plus because getting old and needz biggur screenz:)

bigandtasty

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
QUOTE: Apple is expected to debut the new iPad Air (and potentially the next generation iPad Mini with Retina Display)

Funny, I didn't think iPad mini's had screens...:cool:

nperei

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Gonna stick with my iPad Air and I happy with it and notice the Safari have been so stable with iOS 8. Safari crash once a while with iOS 7.1.2. So which is nice. but wait for 8.1 hope that will fix multiple guesture, control center.
Interesting about Rentina HD for iPad. I love my iPhone 6 plus it is just perfect size.
I guess my dad want to upgrade his iPad 2 it is getting really slow on him. :eek:
Enjoy what you have they alway will be upgrade for better. If u can afford or need it then get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.