Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Dear Apple, please fix the dropping wifi issue with iPhone 6. Thank you.

Not just 6, I am no more than 1-2m from my router, no interference from other neighbours etc and I'll just randomly drop WiFi and it will switch straight to 4G without letting me know which will chew through my data in no time while watching Youtube, it needs sorted.

I really hope iOS 9 cleans up iOS and gets it running really really sweet again. 8.0.3 is pretty good but there are issues that need addressed urgently.

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
You are taking it backwards...
No one is opening threads to say how good iOS 8 is. No one.
But there are some serial complainers basically storming every thread containing the words "iOS 8" to let us know how bad it is.
So in this scenario I find quite normal that people reports all ok on my device.
Because iOS 8 surely isn't perfect, but it isn't the garbage some drama queens are describing lately.

And you and a few others decided to save us all from these complaining people by spending a lot of your precious time stating the opposite. Thanks man, great work. I still think we would see far less complaints if Apple would fix more bugs, but thats just my humble opinion.

Last edited:

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Exactly. They won't release iOS 9 before the iPhone 6S, which they won't release before October/November because of the cycle in the US with contracts. That's how they've done it for a while, as that's where they get a good chunk of their money.

Exactly. Their patterns are very clear and there is no incentive for Apple to make a change.

London Lad

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
UK
These comments on the ios 8.x wi-fi bug do make me laugh.

There is a bug in ios 8.x that is causing various problems with wi-fi. Its been well documented and proved HERE

It's an ios software bug or code error. It's nothing to do with hardware, routers, apps or anything else. Every ios8.x user has it but some don't know they have it because its masked by the use of cellular data in good coverage areas.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
These comments on the ios 8.x wi-fi bug do make me laugh.

There is a bug in ios 8.x that is causing various problems with wi-fi. Its been well documented and proved HERE

It's an ios software bug or code error. It's nothing to do with hardware, routers, apps or anything else. Every ios8.x user has it but some don't know they have it because its masked by the use of cellular data in good coverage areas.
You are saying they are still connected to WiFi but end up using cellular data at times making it look like they don't have any WiFi issues when they actually have WiFi issues?

London Lad

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
UK
You are saying they are still connected to WiFi but end up using cellular data at times making it look like they don't have any WiFi issues when they actually have WiFi issues?

Sort of. One of the symptoms of the current bug is that the ios can take a long time to re register with a WAP after dropping contact with it or another one, sometimes many minutes. during this time the phone will use cellular and providing its a fast cellular connection like 3G or 4G the user probably won't notice. This is starting to make the national press in the UK as peoples cellular data bills are going through the roof. This seems to happen a lot more but not exclusively on clustered WAPs or in homes with multiple WAPs.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sort of. One of the symptoms of the current bug is that the ios can take a long time to re register with a WAP after dropping contact with it or another one, sometimes many minutes. during this time the phone will use cellular and providing its a fast cellular connection like 3G or 4G the user probably won't notice. This is starting to make the national press in the UK as peoples cellular data bills are going through the roof. This seems to happen a lot more but not exclusively on clustered WAPs or in homes with multiple WAPs.

Well, having dealt with a number of iPhones and iPads with iOS 8 I haven't noticed anything like that. I certainly pay attention to whether or not WiFi is connected or how fast it might connect when I expect it to be connected and haven't come across mobile data usage during times when the device is showing that it is connected to WiFi.

While I don't doubt that issues of this sort can exist and likely do exist for some people given their configurations and environment and perhaps other factors, but it doesn't seem like this is something that can be said to exist for everyone or even close to it.

London Lad

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
UK
Well, having dealt with a number of iPhones and iPads with iOS 8 I haven't noticed anything like that. I certainly pay attention to whether or not WiFi is connected or how fast it might connect when I expect it to be connected and haven't come across mobile data usage during times when the device is showing that it is connected to WiFi.

While I don't doubt that issues of this sort can exist and likely do exist for some people given their configurations and environment and perhaps other factors, but it doesn't seem like this is something that can be said to exist for everyone or even close to it.

Its a bug in ios 8.x therefore it certainly exists for everyone who runs ios 8.x. If it effects them in day to day use or not is another matter. This is not the only symptom of the bug. I part own a mobile phone insurance repair centre and we 'see' hundreds of phones a day. Please at least read the wifried link I posted above.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
I am being extra patient as I wait for 8.3. It's hard to imagine anything sooner actually fixing the myriad of problems.

Presently Apple seems to be hyper focused on the Watch which is understandable.

Yet that said, Apple may, or may not be in over it's head with more projects than they have the staff to handle. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, but the rather poor showing of their flagship products performance is very revealing

The Apple that I respect and have patronized for many years, generally turns out much more polished, properly performing versions of iOS.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Its a bug in ios 8.x therefore it certainly exists for everyone who runs ios 8.x. If it effects them in day to day use or not is another matter. This is not the only symptom of the bug. I part own a mobile phone insurance repair centre and we 'see' hundreds of phones a day. Please at least read the wifried link I posted above.
And yet there are still many many users who aren't affected by it either. Like I said, I'm not denying that there can be an issue somewhere, but I'm trying to point out is that it's not one that affects everyone or even most. As is the case with quite a few other issues.

Micool1

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2014
I'd be surprised if 8.2 comes out this week. It will probably be released right after the event next Monday, as it might contain some info about Apple Watch features they might be keeping secret for the event. Also if it was to be released this week it would probably have been released yesterday or today.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'd be surprised if 8.2 comes out this week. It will probably be released right after the event next Monday, as it might contain some info about Apple Watch features they might be keeping secret for the event. Also if it was to be released this week it would probably have been released yesterday or today.
While the event next week adds some information as to making an educated guess, the part about an update not being out yesterday or today doesn't really imply much as it can just as easily be released on a Wednesday or a Thursday (and even Friday, even if less likely out of all the other options).

Micool1

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2014
While the event next week adds some information as to making an educated guess, the part about an update not being out yesterday or today doesn't really imply much as it can just as easily be released on a Wednesday or a Thursday (and even Friday, even if less likely out of all the other options).
Yeah my main point was the part about the event. I added the part about not releasing yesterday or today because, in the past, updates seem to have been released on Monday and Tuesday the most, but yeah it's not impossible that it will come out on another day of the week.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah my main point was the part about the event. I added the part about not releasing yesterday or today because, in the past, updates seem to have been released on Monday and Tuesday the most, but yeah it's not impossible that it will come out on another day of the week.
I don't recall the thread at the moment, but in one of the (many) past threads about potential release dates of an update someone looked at a number of past updates and what days of the week they fell on, and from what I recall days like Wednesdays and Thursdays were fairly similarly likely as Mondays and Tuesdays.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
And you and a few others decided to save us all from these complaining people by spending a lot of your precious time stating the opposite. Thanks man, great work. I still think we would see far less complaints if Apple would fix more bugs, but thats just my humble opinion.

Since I know some of the serial complainers have an agenda, yes, I'm taking that seriously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.