Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released iOS 8.4.1 to the public, roughly six weeks after releasing iOS 8.4 with the new Apple Music service and one month after first seeding the first iOS 8.4.1 beta to registered developers for testing purposes.

Today's iOS 8.4.1 update is Build 12H321 and can be downloaded over-the-air through the using the Software Update tool in the Settings app on iOS devices.

ios_8_4_1.jpg

iOS 8.4.1 is a minor update that includes under-the-hood performance improvements, bug fixes, and security updates. Throughout the testing period, no outward-facing changes were discovered in the beta, and Apple's release notes specifically mention only Apple Music improvements and fixes.
This release includes improvements and fixes to Apple Music.

- Resolves issues that could prevent turning on iCloud Music Library
- Resolves an issue that hides added music because Apple Music was set to show offline music only
- Provides a way to add songs to a new playlist if there aren't any playlists to choose from
- Resolves an issue that may show different artwork for an album on other devices
- Resolves several issues for artists while posting to Connect
- Fixes an issue where tapping Love doesn't work as expected while listening to Beats 1
It's likely iOS 8.4.1 will be one of the last updates to the iOS 8 operating system. iOS 9, iOS 8's successor, has been in testing since June and is on track to be released in the fall alongside new iPhones. iOS 9 builds on the features introduced in iOS 8 and adds both new content and underlying performance improvements.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 8.4.1 With Apple Music Improvements and Bug Fixes

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
I bet the bugs I've had since IOS 8.0 / Sept 2014 haven't been fixed yet. But that's ok, just keep fixing the new bugs. Screen orientation working properly on a stock text app I understand is way too much to ask almost a year after release.

I've learned to like the freezing effect of the stock keyboard as well. I consider it a feature you don't even have to turn on: Auto Pissed Off.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Hoo-hah.

I await reports of this with trepidation. Until I am sure that iTunes doesn't mess with metadata or music even with Apple Music turned off, but with iTunes Match turned on, I shall stay on 8.3.

Reactions: tubular

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Same here.
The curated playlists are great and much better than the Spotify ones. Discovery of new music through the playlist recommendations is far superior to Spotify.

The interface is a bit more complicated than what we are used to from Apple, but I have no problem with it now. So overall, like it a lot.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
As in Apple fixed a security issue?

This "security issue" is akin to calling BURGLERS-R-US and telling them your house is ready to be burglarized, then letting them in by breaking your own lock.

If a user has to install specific software and run it in a specific way to jailbreak their device, I don't call it "patching a security issue", sorry.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
This will be good for the rest of my house that is not interested in (crazy enough) to do beta software.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This "security issue" is akin to calling BURGLERS-R-US and telling them your house is ready to be burglarized, then letting them in by breaking your own lock.

If a user has to install specific software and run it in a specific way to jailbreak their device, I don't call it "patching a security issue", sorry.
I wasn't saying something about jailbreaking itself, I was referencing whatever exploit existed that allows for a jailbreak to work. Sure a jailbreak uses that for what it does, but something else can use it as well potentially as inherently it's a bug of some sort that can be exploited.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
Finally when I load a tab in safari the preview is not the apple developer page then reloads to the page it's supposed to be on.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
In my personal experience, iOS 9 beta 5 is more stable than the current release of iOS 8. What does that say about 8? Or 9?

Reactions: coolsean20
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.