iOS 8.4 Removes Home Sharing for Music

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 1, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Just a day after the release of iOS 8.4, which includes Apple's brand new music service Apple Music, many users on both the MacRumors forums and Apple Support communities are finding that the update removes Home Sharing for music on iOS devices. This breaks the ability for users to share their iTunes Library over Wi-Fi from their mobile devices.

Apple yesterday updated a Home Sharing support document to note that Home Sharing on iOS devices is only limited to video. Thus far, Home Sharing for music still appears to be available for both Mac and Apple TV. Additionally, while the Music page in iOS' Settings once listed a Home Sharing option prior to iOS 8.4, the option is no longer there in the new Apple Music settings page in iOS 8.4.

As pointed out by AppleInsider, the release notes for iOS 8.4 beta 4 mentioned that Home Sharing and Genius Mixes were "not currently available", offering the possibility that the feature could return in future versions of iOS.

While the possibility of Home Sharing for music returning on iOS devices is there, it's unclear whether Apple would return the option for non-subscribers of Apple Music. The music service includes the ability to sign up for a $14.99-a-month family plan, which allows access for up to 6 people.

Article Link: iOS 8.4 Removes Home Sharing for Music

2. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

3. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Don't worry; they've more than accounted for the absence with extra clutter!

4. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

That's a dick move Apple. Not everyone wants to stream with your service, some of us like to stream the media locally.

5. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

If this is a ploy to encourage people to subscribe, then **** *** Apple!

6. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

Assuming these features will later reappear, what is it with Apple shipping software that is both missing features that later appear, and riddled with functional flaws in the features that do make the early debut.

7. citi macrumors 65816

citi

What does Apple music have to do with the fact that I OWN all the music that is in my computer so I should be able to share it with anyone in my HOME? It's not like I can share outside of my network. Stupid.

8. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

GAWD DANIT GAWD DANIT
    GREED STRIKES AGAIN
    THANKS APPLE :)
    I love how you are becoming more and more greedy just like you did the Mac Mini and soldered parts.

9. cmaier macrumors G5

I suspect it's coming back and the code just wasn't ready yet - obviously the app is pretty much rewritten from scratch.

10. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Deeply cynical move from Tim Cook's nickel and diming Apple.

As a couple, one could freely share one's treasure-hoard with one's wife with Home Sharing. Thank you, Steve Jobs.

Now, Apple want you to pay $20,000 (over 100 years) to do the same thing.

11. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

Well, that's it then. End of the line, iOS. Ebay here we come.

12. davefree11 macrumors newbie

I like my macs, but Apple's greed and lack of innovation made me switch to an android phone a year ago....I've never looked back. not a single regret.

13. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

Granted, I seriously doubt Apple as a company will be around in a 100 years, or at least have anything to do with music...

Still, $2000 over 10 years is a lot of dough.

14. WordsmithMR macrumors 6502

WordsmithMR

Wow this really sucks. Recently moved back home and we loved Home Sharing. My sister listened to my music all of the time. Hopefully it is just temporary due to coding, but if not, we may need to ask Taylor to make another letter. (Doubtful since I guess artists profit from it.

15. wlossw macrumors 65816

wlossw

16. brewcitywi macrumors 6502

I have iTunes Match....why wouldn't that allow me to play music from multiple devices??? Does anyone know?

17. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Hey, good idea!

I forgot about Taylor Swift.

We should, indeed, ask her to overturn this ******** move from Apple. She seems to be the only common sense that Apple listens to these days.

18. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Plus, with the new match, uploading your songs then downloading them, you'll find they have DRM on them.

We've jumped the shark, I think.

19. patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

It also removes iTR stations so if you enjoy your collection you've built up over the years take screen shots before you update to Apple Music.

20. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I suspect you never tried Beats Music. It looks very much like that. If they re-wrote it, that's really bad news, since they botched it if they did.

21. RangerXML macrumors regular

As long as Home Sharing for Music isn't removed from my Apple TV I won't be pissed, but I can picture people who just use their iOS devices with AirPlay in their homes, if I just did that I would be pissed.

I should mention that there are songs that iCloud Music and Match won't pick up because they are not in the iTunes library so I have a lot of grey spaces in my library.

22. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Truly, Apple have not only jumped the shark, but also had its guts for garters.

23. seamer macrumors 6502

seamer

Yes, giving your money to another company for a previously free feature will surely teach Apple a lesson.

24. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

Because you are not download your version. You're download the Apple Music version. Your Library before AM should remain intact as long as you didn't delete your original copies.

25. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

I thought Apple had removed DRM from their songs? Or did they add that back in?