Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Is 8.4 coming anytime soon or will iOS 9 be put in its place? I thought 8.4 was going to be released this month...

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Apple Music doesn't go live until the 30th, and Apple said 8.4 would be available at (or around) the same time (it would have to be before, or on the 30th). 9 won't be around (finalized) for another good few months (September, maybe even October), when the new devices get released.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Apple Music doesn't go live until the 30th, and Apple said 8.4 would be available at (or around) the same time (it would have to be before, or on the 30th). 9 won't be around (finalized) for another good few months (September, maybe even October), when the new devices get released.

Thanks for the info...

frozentoast

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
If both Apple Music and Beats 1 are premiering on the 30th it would make sense for a software update to appear at least 24 hours prior. Perhaps with a countdown timer in–app and on Apple’s website.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If both Apple Music and Beats 1 are premiering on the 30th it would make sense for a software update to appear at least 24 hours prior. Perhaps with a countdown timer in–app and on Apple’s website.
Not sure that would be a great user experience to provide and update and then show that a big feature associated with it still requires some waiting rather than it already being available.

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
i can wait a few more days.. that way if there is any glitches or anything like that they can be fixed

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
yeah i dont think it would be smart for two updates to appear within a 24 hour period

frozentoast

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Not sure that would be a great user experience to provide and update and then show that a big feature associated with it still requires some waiting rather than it already being available.
Expectations have been set with the date mentioned repeatedly. Having a large user base prepped with the latest software building overnight anticipation would certainly make more of a splash. The countdown thought is taken straight from how they set the tone with keynote streams.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Expectations have been set with the date mentioned repeatedly. Having a large user base prepped with the latest software building overnight anticipation would certainly make more of a splash. The countdown thought is taken straight from how they set the tone with keynote streams.
I understand what you are trying to say, but companies generally don't see it that way, and often can see something like that as a negative. When people get something new and try out various new things, if something isn't ready or isn't good in some way quite a few of the more typical users often won't even bother returning to it, or at least not until sometime later when they might remember or care about it again for some reason. This kind of loss of eyeballs on a new product can cost a company since if that product was ready and working it's likely at least some number of those users would start using it and stay with it and/or recommend it to others (instead of seeing that it's going to be there tomorrow and not really bothering to check it out later on as most typical users don't care enough). How big of a loss something like that is in reality is questionable and is likely different for different companies/products/services, but the overall approach and how it is seen by most companies remains with that in mind basically.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Yes I think 8.4 will release on 30 June and Apple Music will be immediately available once it's installed. (It's not impossible that 8.4 could come earlier/later but I think that would also mean Apple Music comes earlier/later imo, i.e. 8.4 and Apple Music come together).

Users are updated to iOS updates, and the updates have notes which can alert them to Apple Music launching. If it happens a day after, it isn't as easy to draw their attention to it...

Plus, not only do Apple want people using Apple Music, they want people on the latest iOS. Those interested in Apple Music but not iOS updates and who might otherwise put off an iOS update will now update for Apple Music. Because the update and Apple Music will be strongly assoicated by everyone... if their friend installs the update and says 'Apple Music still no available' they may lose interest.

dinepada

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014
Perú
GM will be launched 24 hrs before the release for all iOS users, this happened before with iOS 7

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
According to TechCrunch, Beats 1 will start broadcasting on June 30th at 11 am Eastern, 8 am Pacific. So Apple will need to release 8.4 on the 29th or sooner to let people upgrade before Beats 1/Apple Music go live.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS 7.0 GM was released only 1 day before public release
That's a slightly different type of scenario with a .0 release though. With the more minor releases there have been some without any GM at all. So while the possibility of it coming out 24 hours before the public release is there, there's nothing to really indicate that it's likely, let alone will actually happen (especially given that there are other similar if not even more likely possibilities, like no GM coming out at all).

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I'm not sure there will be a GM (gold master) release of iOS 8.4. Typically Apple does not do GM releases of point releases - they just push them out. The concept of a "gold master" comes from the process of Apple creating a "ready-for-distribution" version of the .0 releases that is sent to the iPhone manufacturing process for installation on the new iPhone models.

For (many/most/all) other versions of iOS (.1, etc), Apple simply goes through the beta process until it's ready, then it's just "released". In practice there is generally no difference between the GM version and the GA (generally available or "released") version, despite the difference technically with labeling.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Whenever it is I will the ready, I am anxious for Apple Music as my 6 months free with Spotify is almost up. So another three upcoming months for free on a music service, thank you Apple. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.