iOS 8 Adoption Rate Hits 72% As Android Lollipop Distribution Reaches 1.6%

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Most people haven't updated to lollipop because it is still not widely available . Not only does the phone manufactured control when to update android for their phone but it is also by country.

The article even states this but of course all people hear is "android is crap and no one wants to update their phone because android is crap.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
Visit site
The ever smaller bunch of people who won't admit that Android is a joke compared to iOS. But for some reason keep posting on MacRumors instead of Android sites or Google+ (which will be finishing off Facebook or Tweeter any day now).
It is a very odd behavior really....go over to forums where you don't have an interest or outright dislike the product, but have not purchased it, then spend your time and energy posting there day after day. If you go over to Android forums (or WP forums), for the most part you just don't see it the other way, cause, who'd want to waste their time like that?

Course there could be some AstroTurf-ing going on (paid posting sponsored by competitors...wouldn't be surprised to see Samsung on that kind of choice path), that might explain a good chunk of what we see here.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
(c) Google Play Services and Support Libraries make version less relevant
(d) The vast majority of Android users couldn't tell you what OS is on their device because they don't care, don't really use it that much and only have it because the guy in the carrier store told them they needed a smart phone, and should buy "this cool Moto."

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
It is a very odd behavior really....go over to forums where you don't have an interest or outright dislike the product, but have not purchased it, then spend your time and energy posting there day after day. If you go over to Android forums (or WP forums), for the most part you just don't see it the other way, cause, who'd want to waste their time like that?

Course there could be some AstroTurf-ing going on (paid posting sponsored by competitors...wouldn't be surprised to see Samsung on that kind of choice path), that might explain a good chunk of what we see here.
So, people that have Android devices can't have Apple devices?

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
The number suggest either:

(a) Android users are satisfied with KitKat and scared of updating to Lollipop because of fears of Google and/or bugs.

(b) Android users have gotten frustrated with the Android experience and stopped using their devices before Lollipop.
Neither;

Android doesn't roll out it's updates the same way that Apple does. When Apple is ready, the update goes out universally to all supported platforms.

This is not how the Android model works.

When Android releases their new version, google follows the following strategy
First, this is for Nexus devices only. this does not apply to any device that is not a "google play edition" device or a nexus.

Google does a staged rollout. they'll randomly select 1% of the population of a given device to receive the update within the first few days. then if there are relatively few issues, they will gradually increase the numbers that receive it, so that over a course of weeks, the new update is rolled out.
http://www.androidauthority.com/how-android-updates-roll-out-force-clear-gcf-318744/

secondly, this does not apply to any Android device that uses a customized version of Android. So basically, any sony, Samsung, HTC, ... well, Any device thats not a nexus basically. These devices all will only get their updates from their manufacturer rolls out the new update. This often is slower than Google. First the manufacturer must get the final code for the new version, Then they must redo, port, or update their own customizations to the new version. and then it can be rolled out to their customers.

SO, google's slow rollout of 5.0 doesn't prove anything you claim it does. Other than this is a slow staged rollout and the 3rd party android device makers are ridiculously slow at getting their updates out

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
(d) The vast majority of Android users couldn't tell you what OS is on their device because they don't care, don't really use it that much and only have it because the guy in the carrier store told them they needed a smart phone, and should buy "this cool Moto."
And then you can explain what has to do your rant with my answer.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
This just proves that Android isn't as popular as iOS
That's misinterpreting the data.

Apple being closed and promoting a culture that keeps many users craving the latest Apple has to offer immediately and free, it's customary for users to update. Nothing new about this.

Conversely with a number of Android handset makers free to offer products of varying configurations and OS versions, there's a lot of choice.

Those tech enthusiasts that are skilled know that newer is not always better, nor does it make existing computers, smartphones and tablets that are working well, operate any better than they do in their current fast, stable and reliable setup.

Even within Apple many users prefer an earlier version for its particular features and benefits.

Newer is only relevant to Apple in its constant drive to obsolete and then sell new hardware in their predetermined schedule. A brilliant strategy that's carried them to astronomical success.

----------

This mirrors the average Apple buyer as well.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Well partly true. Perhaps it's simply that the vast majority of Android users don't care. Why? Because OS updates are handled differently on both platforms.

But this is something that has been explained over and over again.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
Visit site
So, people that have Android devices can't have Apple devices?
No, I have a Nexus myself to develop on....but if you watch the comments you'll see some of the same names just consistently pouring hatred on Apple and its products here and at some point you just have to wonder why they spend their time here - as its not something you see over on the droid\WP forums (for the most part) - however astroturfing (which Samsung, for example, has done in the past) would explain some of it quite well.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
I literally just installed Lollipop on my Nexus 7 last night. It's not a bad upgrade, but it's still not quite as refined as iOS 8. I don't enjoy using it. I feel like I'm fighting with the UI and apps more than using them. The Twitter app, for example, is just better on iOS. It's intuitive, switching accounts is easier and simpler, everything just seems to be where I need it to be.

However, my experience with Android is just that, my experience. Some folks prefer the Android way of doing things, and that's good. It means more competition and that's never a bad thing. I want both OSes pushing each other to innovate. Heck, I hope Microsoft pushes the envelope too.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
No, I have a Nexus myself to develop on....but if you watch the comments you'll see some of the same names just consistently pouring hatred on Apple and its products here and at some point you just have to wonder why they spend their time here - as its not something you see over on the droid\WP forums (for the most part) - however astroturfing (which Samsung, for example, has done in the past) would explain some of it quite well.
You're free to find those comments in this thread. Or perhaps you can see the same hatred in the comment you quoted. But it seems that it only counts in one direction

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
You're free to find those comments in this thread. Or perhaps you can see the same hatred in the comment you quoted. But it seems that it only counts in one direction
want to see something amusing.

Go to the thread about the release of the Samsung Galaxy Gear, then go to the Apple Watch thread.

Galaxy gear thread: 1 day battery? THATS UNNACECEPTABLE!
same people
Apple watch: ONE DAY BATTERY? THATS ENOUGH! YOU DONT NEED MORE, APPLE NAILED IT!'

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
It was turd on my Nexus 6. So much so, that I got rid of it for an Xperia Z3 on KitKat.

Being on the bleeding edge of Android isn't all milk and honey.
Lemme guess. Lollipop broke an important app you used a lot, aimrite? It killed a lot of root required apps on my wife's Nexus.:mad: Still, it has a lot of nice features (better battery life being the Missus' favorite) that make up for killing those apps she doesn't use. (I use them though.:() She won't let me roll back to KitKat.:(:(:(

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ
This is the Google problem in a nutshell and to me the weakest link in the Android model. There is a price to be paid when you try to be too many things to too many people and you allow carriers to dictate your terms. Bad idea.
...and I happen to think that this is one of Google's strengths... at least from a customer's perspective. Because there is a spread of Android versions out there, developers must carefully consider whether or not they really need to develop to the latest version of Android.

I have a stack of Android handsets at different versions of Android, and it is very interesting to see just how much of the newer software the older models can utilize and how well they run.

In contrast, my iPhones have become slower with each update of iOS. And often times the update is "required" because some of the apps that I use have required the latest version of iOS.

With iOS, I'm pushed into a corner to the point where I have to buy a new device (because of reduced performance or app incompatibility). With Android, I can continue using the device at a particular level of performance until I decide otherwise. A bit ironic considering that the iPhone hardware is better made for longevity.

Disclaimer: this is my experience only. I'm sure that there are others with the exact opposite experience.

eac25

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
... somewhere under the rainbow ...
"The vast majority of Android users are still running KitKat..."

But the table says 39.7% are running KitKat. This would be a "plurality".

Perhaps the "vast majority of Andriod users" wish that their carrier and phone manufacturer would let them upgrade to KitKat.
Please learn basic math. If you look at the table in your own article, the majority of users are on Jelly Bean (44.5%), not KitKat (39.7%).

Also, Lollipop and iOS 8 isn't exactly an Apples to Apples comparison. Lollipop was released in November while iOS 8 was released in September. So iOS 8 has been out for twice as long as Lollipop.

That doesn't justify Lollipop's abysmal adoption numbers, but it is a factor in why iOS 8 has a higher adoption rate than Lollipop so far.
Please learn basic English. The table in the article clearly states that KitKat + JellyBean = 84.2%, which is a vast majority. The article itself says "The vast majority of Android users are still running KitKat [...] or even Jelly Bean...", which signifies that one should add the numbers together.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Wondering why anybody needs to know about Android adoption rates etc.
in this forum. I don't do Android, but I wish those users eternal happiness.

I like my Apple products and even the 4S with os8 is still fine.

Don't have all the issues people bring up with os8, but I may not be using all the smart features.

For the occasional hick ups, I can't even tell if they are Apple related or app related. Restart and done.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
Yeah...like many Apple users know what version of iOS is on their iPhone.

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
It wasn't a rant. It was an answer to your inaccurate "reason."
its not entirely innacurate.

Google has moved the core of their services to an App model, rather than built in directly into the OS.

This includes the Photo and camera, Google now, email, browser, Calender, phone, clock, Contacts, Docs/sheets, Google Drive, Fit, Keyboard, etc.

these are all able to be replaced, upgraded independently of what version of Android they are running on. This gives google the ability to provide many of their services and software backwards to older devices, even if those older devices don't run the latest version of Google.

That means, your Android 4.2 phone, might be forever stuck at 4.2 because Sony decided that after 6 months, they weren't going to update your phones OS anymore, But, you still have access to virtually all the google services that someone on 5.0 gets. This renders knowing what version of Android you are on, to be less important.

Where, on the other hand, most of Apples applications that are shipped are bundled into the OS itself and often do not get updates till the OS gets updated.