iOS 8 another battery drainer

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by TsMkLg068426, Sep 18, 2014.

1. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

When will :apple: learn, do Developers really test things out or do they just have fun with the new features and not worry about important things like Battery life.

2. cynics macrumors G4

More features use more power then less features. No way around it. If you can do something you couldn't do before it has to use more power.

I've found so far using iOS 8 like I did 7 and disabling and not using anything new or different nets me similar battery life to iOS 7.

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

After the iOS7 debacle, did you really expect anything different? I fully expected bugs, battery drain and frustration...and hence I'm sticking with iOS7. I will never again do a full, new iOS update on an older iPhone. Once bitten, twice shy and all that.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My battery life with iOS 8.0 is roughly the same as it was with iOS 7.1.2. Even with BT and Background app refresh on a handful of apps, it doesn't seem to cause a problem.

5. EJ8 macrumors 6502a

EJ8

You can't really speak for everyone. Perhaps you have battery issues with it. But I have no difference.

6. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

Also faced the same thing but I reset all settings and now it's much better

7. Nozuka macrumors 68000

8. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

To be fair you bought an iPhone 5s with iOS 7 (or 5 with iOS 6), the operating systems those phones were built for. Apple made no promise of performance on future iOS versions for old hardware.

If a new OS comes out built for newer hardware that can handle it better then either keep your older device on the OS it came with or take responsibility if you took a chance upgrading and it didn't work out for your hardware.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Battery life seems to be about the same as in iOS 7.

Of course the first few days especially with app updates on top of the OS update we are using the phone more and more trying things out, configuring things, etc., so clearly that will result in faster battery drain even if it seems like you weren't really doing anything different.

10. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

My first full day of iOS 8, the battery on my iPhone 5 actually seemed much better than before. I'm not sure if iOS, carrier update, or some combination of the two helped.

I'm recalibrating the battery now to see the mAh capacity.

11. benish7 macrumors newbie

12. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

My 5s seems worse. Rest network settings.

Doesn't matter as my 6+ will be in hand tomorrow.:D

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

They knackered your phone so go and buy another phone from them :)

14. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

I agree with you 100 percent! I find that the phone works best with the software it came with! Sure this isn't always the case, but in my experience, nothing can beat the first OS the phone has :)

15. zosokm macrumors regular

I have updated iOS 8 on my iphone 5 16 GB using iTunes and it works fine. I like the new gray scale mode. When I was down to battery life of 25% I switched to gray scale mode and it seemed to prolong battery life .Has anyone else noticed this?

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Grayscale won't really do anything for the battery as iOS devices use screens that take up the same amount of power whether they display a dark color or a bright color or only some colors and not others.

17. CrzyP macrumors regular

Give it a couple days. The battery should stabilize by then. That was my experience when I installed GM last week.

18. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I have a 5 and the battery drain is really a big concern.
    Hopefully this gets better soon: either with an update or some people will figure out what hidden background things are going on now with iOS 8 that were not there before.
    About providing more features with less energy is not simple good engineering but they key for innovation.
    Understandable the game of forcing new hardware by slowing things down when there are real things that justify it but with iOS 8 I haven't noticed any new things worth the battery drain.
    I will double check about the battery replacement program that was going on a few weeks ago. Have any of you gone through it?

19. Zxxv Suspended

Your holding it wrong

i.e. your playing with it more :D

20. OzzyOzman macrumors member

Yeah noticing that my battery is draining at an alarming rate now....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. dj9928 macrumors member

What apple should do in this case is then allow you to revert, they upgrade you and cripple your phone hoping you'll buy a newer model

22. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I thought my iOS 7.1 battery life was poor. Until I updated to iOS 8 and found out how much worse it could get.

23. Altis macrumors 68020

This is it. Allowing you to revert would let people continue to use their devices as they worked before, until the new features/devices warrant an upgrade.

Crippling older devices (by the way, they still sell these "old devices" as new, such as the 4S until just this month), and allowing no way to revert back is simply dirty.

24. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

I wanted to make sure, so I did some tests on my 5S. Restored to factory new phone as iOS 7.1.2 and iOS 8. Left screen on doing nothing and used the stopwatch to measure how long between each % drop.

On average iOS 7 was about 7m40s, iOS 8 was 5m40s. This is with all the default settings, however they intended us to use it.

----------

Supposedly it's better on the 4S:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/09/battery-life-updating-ios-8.html

25. jcal0820 macrumors member

jcal0820