iOS 8 Beta 1 Battery thread

Knockoutjosie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
544
141
Post your Battery results for Beta 1.
Will keep this thread updated through out the day
1. post the device you have
2. what Ios you are running
3. if you have any settings turned off/on
 

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
820
0
NY
Oh dear lord and so it begins...Ill bite though.Beta 1 always SUCKS when it comes to stability and battery.Youre welcome
 

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
48,584
17,222
really? its been three hours since it came out and there is already a battery thread. I guess somebody has to do it...
It's only been about an hour actually, since it didn't come out until after the keynote ended, and that only ended roughly a little over an hour ago.
 

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
1,341
48
With respect... what is the point of a battery thread with a beta release. It is likely to change with each iteration

By the time it reaches public release nobody has bad battery these days any more from "normal" operation.

Very occasionally apple will release something that reduces battery.

Generally people get around 6 hours usage and a day of standby. You wake up, use your phone, get home, put it on charge.


If you are using your phone in bright sunlight with the GPS on and iTunes match and you happen to be in a low signal area or travelling and using your phone, your battery is going to blitz fast. if you install a dodgy app or something that uses background battery, same thing.

But in general i really don't see the point of these battery threads. In 99% of cases it is user error or due to using phone features. In the other 1% its a defect.
 

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
2,506
1,043
On The Interweb Thingy!
From full charge I jumped in my car and drove 30 minutes to work with the navigation running.

Upon arriving at work you could have fried an egg on my phone and the battery was at 38%.

I use an iPhone 4s.
 

btsvchris

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2014
91
0
IOS 8 Beta 1 Battery thread

The battery usage feature is one of the, propably the best new feature IMO. Why does Facebook use 55% of my battery? :O
 

deranged58

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010
23
2
The battery usage feature is one of the, propably the best new feature IMO. Why does Facebook use 55% of my battery? :O
time to relook your priorities? :p
i'd not be that fuzzed up about this currently though.. i'm thinking a lot of these apps would be using up quite a bit of battery life as the whole OS as a whole stabilises :)
 

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
775
233
i have no idea for battery life so far because today will be my first full day running it but calendar is using up the most with a lot of background activity but background app refresh is completely disabled and i only have 3 calendars running which are push and i completely exited the app...just annoying...
 

VSMacOne

macrumors 601
Oct 18, 2008
4,697
1,423
The battery usage feature is one of the, propably the best new feature IMO. Why does Facebook use 55% of my battery? :O
Facebook has always been a battery hog. Check your Background Refresh and turn Facebook OFF because it doesn't really make good use of that feature.
 

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
200
20
With respect... what is the point of a battery thread with a beta release. It is likely to change with each iteration

By the time it reaches public release nobody has bad battery these days any more from "normal" operation.

Very occasionally apple will release something that reduces battery.

Generally people get around 6 hours usage and a day of standby. You wake up, use your phone, get home, put it on charge.


If you are using your phone in bright sunlight with the GPS on and iTunes match and you happen to be in a low signal area or travelling and using your phone, your battery is going to blitz fast. if you install a dodgy app or something that uses background battery, same thing.

But in general i really don't see the point of these battery threads. In 99% of cases it is user error or due to using phone features. In the other 1% its a defect.
Why shouldn't Apple be able to get more battery usage with only software improvements? They did the same thing with OS X Mavericks and it worked really really good and everyone got more usage time out of their MacBooks.

@Facebook is pretty bad coded and therefore it need a lot of battery. Just check your CPU usage when Facebook is running with background refresh on.
 

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
775
233
So far ive been using my phone a lot with LTE and i think apple fixed their carrier modem drivers because my 5S is already running a lot more efficiently on LTE, almost iOS 6 like efficiency on LTE compared to iOS 7 where it just ate up battery on LTE, i used to get outstanding battery life iOS 6 when on LTE...

For a first beta not bad at all, also all LTE
 

Attachments

Last edited:

CanesDrew

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
271
182
Memphis, TN
IOS 8 Beta 1 Battery thread

10% usage with 2.5 hours off the charger and 45 minutes of screen on time. Granted most of that is on WiFi but still. That's not bad. We will see how the rest of the day goes.

 

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
775
233
10% usage with 2.5 hours off the charger and 45 minutes of screen on time. Granted most of that is on WiFi but still. That's not bad. We will see how the rest of the day goes.

Image
definitely really good battery life so far, to me it seems like the whole OS is running a lot more efficiently then iOS 7...
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.