iOS 8 Beta 4 As A Daily Driver?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by matthew2926, Jul 21, 2014.

1. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

Well, somebody had to start this thread...is beta 4 stable enough to be a daily driver? My personal opinion so far is yes but I want to hear what you guys think!

2. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

yes

but i went back to 7.1.2 again, waiting on devs of transit 360 app to fix their crash after viewing a bus stop's routes, its usable still but i dont like the crash & i dont have a vehicle so..if an update was to come out tomorrow & fix that crash, id start using beta 4

3. moomanjohnny macrumors regular

moomanjohnny

I think it is. I am running iOS Beta 4 on my iPod touch and Beta 4 on my

iPhone 5 and it doesn't have that many bugs. I have been using it as a "daily

driver" and it works almost exactly as 7.1.1 did, the animations are faster so it

feels faster. The speed and performance depends on what device you have,

the iPhone 4s and iPad 2 run iOS 8 with lag, so I went back to iOS 7, but if you

have an iPhone 5 or higher, iPod touch 5, iPad 3 or higher, I would recommend

using it. I have tested iOS 8 on iPod touch 5, iPad 2 and 3 and 4, iPhone 4s and

5. They all worked pretty good. Some apps do crash, but not as much as they

did in beta 1. So if you decide to update, make sure to backup your iDevice

through iTunes before updating, so if something goes wrong you can go back . :)

(remember iOS 8 Backups do not work on iOS 7)

Best of luck,
    Johnny

4. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

Beta 3 started out good but had a lot of little bugs you'd notice through out the system.

Beta 4 seems to have fixed the bugs which the best I can say were Bluetooth related.

I've officially installed it on my wife's iOS devices, and not much to complain about just yet. Time will tell though.

5. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

6. zemaker macrumors regular

As long as you don't use it to make phone calls, there is a lot less crashing compared to beta 3...however the Phone app for instance still freezes once in a while and you can't receive/place phone calls. I would not use it as my daily driver iOS device.

7. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

Well.. I can say that its 10x better than beta 3 so far... I would make that jump

8. PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

Gosh NO.

I can't say any beta has improved over the previous for me. At least in beta 3 I regained access to the LTE network... But I had to reboot my iPhone 5 at least 5 times today with beta 4, just doing casual stuff and a little bit of development.

9. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

I have it on my iPad mini and it's running pretty smoothly. There are a couple glitches here and there, but nothing major so far.

The only thing that upsets me is the fact that photoshop touch still isn't working...

10. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

I love this game.

No hold off for the Gold Master. Even if this version is a step forward. The next update may have a fatal bug.

11. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

The iPhone 4s and iPod Touch 5 have the same processor, it should run the same on both of them.

12. cschmelz macrumors 6502

Some of the new apparent bugs in Beta 4 are a bit troubling. I tried to create a new contact out of a new SMS message (from a new number obviously) and that failed miserably (the Done button wasn't there despite reboots/etc)

Animations and Messages flow better and the app store works better but I have also had to reboot both my iPhone 5S and iPad Air several times since the update!

13. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

It blows my mind there are this many bugs even in established apps (native ones). You would think since the code base has been set for years and there were no/minor changes that it wouldnt be that buggy but it is.

I guess that makes you think about all the work that goes into these if reworking just little things causes such instability.

14. Antgb84 macrumors 6502

Seems okay here. No crashes or resprings. They did make something worse though instead for whatever reason like when quick replying to a message; can't type in numbers.

15. fardeenah macrumors regular

its slow on my 4s , reverted back to 7.1.2. even the calculator loads takes 1 sec more to load and is noticable

16. Porsupah macrumors member

Porsupah

I'd say no. WiFi on the iPad Air still dies fairly frequently, and random restarts or app crashes occur a few times a day, where b3 was rather better - there, the main cause of reboots was the app switcher.

That said, it's still quite happily usable, just occasionally annoying.

17. krizko macrumors regular

18. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Honestly, it's become my daily driver lately and beta 4 seems to be even more solid for me. Except that it broke Tweetbot Settings and animations are slower. But those are not deal breakers.

19. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

I've never dropped from 100% to 89% battery in 25 minutes... this happened with beta 4...

the first 25 minutes were terrible it felt like a really old phone, on how slow the animations worked... I just couldn't believe how unpolished it is for a "beta 4" which is supposedly close to final version (5S)

went back to 7.1.2 and my jailbreak thanks but no thanks... this is not ready for prime time at all.
    left my phone unplugged last night at 100% it is still at 100%

20. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Not that I've seen. In fact it fixed the issue I had where iTunes match would crash and go black just after the first portion of progress bar filled up.

21. krizko macrumors regular

22. PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

I totally get the same feeling. The Music App hasn't changed a bit in iOS 8 if we compare it to iOS 7, and yet it presents so many bugs and crashes. Even as a developer, I don't understand this.

23. VacTacks11 macrumors member

It is.

Most of the bugs have been fixed. The apps that I rely on finally work properly without workarounds.

There are a few bugs still (the quick reply-bottom keyboard row bug stands out), but otherwise it's a pretty solid build.

24. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

That's how it is after an update. You have to give the phone a few hours or days because there are some background stuff going on, like indexing spotlight and what not. Ios beta 4 is much more stable.

25. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Off topic: I suppose it's good to have a thread like this to keep the same question from cluttering up other threads, but... It seems lazy. Folks should read the threads and decide if <insert something broken here> makes it unusable for *you*. Folks that say it's fine as a daily driver, but it's not fine if you need <insert what must work here> and it doesn't. /soapbox