iOS 8 Concept - Interactive Notifications

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by samjohnbeck, Dec 29, 2013.

1. samjohnbeck, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013

samjohnbeck macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Just made this concept video and thought I would share it with you.

The first video here looks at how Interactive Notifications, or 'Quick Reply' could easily be integrated into the next operating system update. Look forward to seeing your thoughts on the concept!

I'm planning on making a couple more videos in the near future.

2. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

It's an impressive concept. But even more impressive is the style and art in that video. Great work!

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Let me see if I understand this.

-Notification banner pops
    -User clicks the banner which in turn opens the app responsible for the notification.
    -User does what he/she needs to do and then presses home to return to the app they were working in.?

So you're basically eliminating the step in which the task switcher is activated and the user clicks the previous app they were in. It's a great idea.

If I play Devil's advocate for Apple I would say "The home button's functionality will cause confusion because in this case it does not take them to the home screen".

4. samjohnbeck thread starter macrumors newbie

Not quite! The messages UI is more of an overlay on top of the current app. Once the message is sent, the messages UI is automatically dismissed - the user never has to use the home button or think about multi-tasking :)

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

So the overlay wouldn't have the full functionality of the app itself?

6. samjohnbeck thread starter macrumors newbie

Precisely, the overlay only displays the messages that has just been received. The top left button 'Messages' would link to the messages app itself. Once a reply is sent, the overlay automatically dismisses itself. The original app (in this case, Maps) is always behind the overlay.

7. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I like how that works. Once you press send you are returned to the app you were previously in. If it's an overlay... how about something like how os x handles iMessage where when you press reply your message box is smaller so you are still seeing what you were working on. May not be great on the smaller iPhone screen though.

Nonetheless, great video. Looking forward to what you create next!

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

So this means that every notification would have to be coded with a overlay trigger. In your example pressing "reply" on to the message banner opens the messages overlay.

I would imagine at times that I would receive a work e-mail, press the reply button so that I can see 10 lines of the e-mail itself but if I don't want to reply from there if I press cancel would that dismiss the overlay?

You're definitely onto to something and I like the idea I'm just thinking ahead.:D

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

This is a smart evolution of the notification banner, I really hope something like this gets implemented in iOS 8 or in a 7.x release.

10. samjohnbeck thread starter macrumors newbie

Email is a little different to messages. The action may be worded as 'Options' instead of 'Reply'. Tapping options could display 'Reply', 'Delete' and 'Cancel'. It may not be practical to actually reply to email from within the notification banner.

Thanks for your feedback, certainly worth considering all eventualities!

11. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Love it. Apple would need to add an API to allow third parties to trigger an action to hook into their apps.

I'm still hopeful that quick reply is coming in 7.1. iOS in the car has something like this already so I think the infrastructure is there for stock apps, just not exposed just yet.

12. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Wow that's impressive. I really like the clean UI look. Definitely something Apple like. One quick question - I notice that from the lock screen. How would one dismiss that "quick reply" area in home screen or in-app?

13. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Not much of a concept, Jelly Bean already introduced interactive notifications in Android a while back.

14. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I think we can all say without a doubt this will be an iOS 8 feature. This is one of the coolest features I've ever seen. Excellent work! :D

15. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

great video ... keep it up! let's hope they implement this soon :apple:

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

What is your point exactly? You're discrediting a concept because someone else already came up with it? If Apple thought like you we'd be using Palm Treos still.

17. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

iOS 8 Concept - Interactive Notifications

I guess I was thinking more along the line of innovation rather than just a general concept. My fault

18. Armen, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I think the smartphone industry has leveled out. Almost all smartphones these days have the same/similiar features. People who want large screens go with Samsung, people who want the eco system and fuss free use go with Apple. Im curious to see what happens when a 5" iPhone debuts in 2014. How many Samsung "fans" are going to jump ship?

19. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

In my experience only females and people who hate Apple have Galaxies (honestly no in between). The woman don't care about the company and want a big screen. They will definitely switch.

20. djplaxe2109 macrumors 6502

All I want in iOS 8 is a quick reply... Until then, it's BiteSMS for me!

21. charlOOsi macrumors newbie

It's way too good a concept and too intuitive... Apple will never implement it.

22. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

Good concept, actually more interested in seeing a making of video in how you did this as I am looking to do something similar and would find it very informative.

23. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I really like that I just hope its not black like that it reminds me of android it would be awesome if it blurred it to look like the control center but its more likely to be the notification center or nothing at all.

24. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

What if you don't want it to close automatically after pressing send, and what if you want to close it without sending a message? It should be a small quick reply overlay not something that looks like the Messages app but works differently.

25. DavidBlack macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

Nice video, can you tell me what programs you used to create this?