iOS 8 GM battery life

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by doublex14, Sep 10, 2014.

1. doublex14 macrumors regular

doublex14

Alright so I recently got the GM (I am a registered developer) and my battery life has been absolutely horrible. You see, I was on every beta and from 1-3 my battery and everything was fine, then I got beta 4 and my device took a turn for the worst. Battery went down 2-3% every 5 minutes and I was charging it almost 3-4 times A DAY. The phone would get very hot and I would just have to set it down and not use it. I had to go back to iOS 7 and when I did the battery issue persisted so I had to set up the device like new and download my contacts and photos and stuff manually. This issue has came back and it's giving me stress! I've come to the conclusion that there is something either wrong with my phones' battery, or I should just give it time to re-adjust. Any suggestions? My friend told me to backup, and then wipe, and then restore from backup but I'm not sure

2. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Yep. its crap. My phone sais Safari is the offender. I find that hard to believe though.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems about the same as it was in iOS 7 on my iPhone 5.

4. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Im on ATT iPhone 5s. I am getting better battery life than I ever did on iOS7. (I installed as a new phone on the last beta and my battery has been great ever sense.)

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I saw that to begin with, but then it got better after another charge...

6. doublex14 thread starter macrumors regular

doublex14

7. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

I'm getting terrible battery life on iOS 8 GM as well. iPhone 5S draining about 15 to 20% every hour. According to Usage the offender is the lock screen :eek: not sure what's going on with it. I only noticed because the phone has been in my pocket all day and it vibrated to alert me that the power level was at 20% left.

8. thomaskc macrumors 6502

I am noticing substantially lower battery levels too after updating, and setting up as new phone yesterday. Not sure if its just one of those things or if anything can be done about it. I might try and wipe it again, update and restore from backup... if its crap anyway I may as well get all the apps etc the easy way

9. doublex14 thread starter macrumors regular

doublex14

I think I might backup, wipe it, then restore as backup like you said you might, but I'm not sure

10. thomaskc macrumors 6502

looking at my usage, it claims that my mail app is using an insane amount of battery on "low signal" how ever this makes no sense, first of all there is no change in signal compared to when I had ios7, also I spend most of my time on wifi... lost 18% in 1.5 hours this morning.. something is off with the mail app I think.

11. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

I've had it running on my iPhone 5 for about 24 hours.

All good here :)

12. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

I recharged my phone to 100% and reset my network settings from Settings>General>Reset then cold booted the phone.

background apps = off
    Location services = off
    Low brightness
    Bluetooth off
    Wifi off
    Reduce Motion on

Spent 3 minutes logging in and typing this. Lost 8% battery life. Something isn't right. I did a clean install no backup. Synced only my contacts. :/

13. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

I don't knnow if it helps but even my iPhone was getting hot and then I resetted all settings and network settings. It's much better after that. Also note that I didn't do a fresh restore.

Give it a shot and see how it works.

14. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

My phone isn't getting warm. With this kind of battery usage I'd expect it to. Under battery usage it's saying the Lockscreen is taking up 17% of the battery WTF?

15. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Some of you guys are just getting horrendous battery life. I suggest doing a clean install or maybe just wait for the public release then do a clean install.

I got a little over 6 hours of usage on my first full charge.

16. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

Only thing left I can think of is that TouchID is blazing fast now. With the Lock Screen taking up so much power. That maybe it's something with TouchID on the 5S. But I'm kinda out of ideas.

17. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Doesn't the lock/home screen just mean the screen being on is draining the battery?

18. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

One would think. But my screen has been off. I'm watching it drain rapidly even typing this on the phone drained 3% battery.

19. sapbasis macrumors member

sapbasis

The GM is much better for me, still not getting what I did on 7.1, but better than any of the betas. I have 6 hours and 35 minutes of use with 24 hours of Standby on a 5s 16G on Verizon.

I did the following to install the GM:

1. Backed up to Mac
    2. Put the phone in UDF mode
    3. Install GM
    4. Restored from backup

Phone has worked well.

20. sbailey4 macrumors 68040

sbailey4

Typical fix for this after an update is settings>general>reset>reset all settings. Let it reboot then go back through your settings and set as you want. This does not wipe out any data but just default settings, wifi networks. That is in lieu of a restore and start from fresh. If the reset does not work then restore and start as new may be the only answer. Not that hard to do just a bit of a pita.

for the record I am seeing about the same as iOS7 on a 3 yr old 4s and really is not to bad.

21. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I'm scared of the battery life. My iPhone 5 has pretty bad battery life already, but my iPad 2 got 23 hours usage over the last week... got a feeling iOS 8 will be the end of that!!

22. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Apple is replacing some iPhone 5 batteries for free if I'm not mistaken.

23. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Sadly mine is not covered. My father's iPhone 5 is even worse than mine (3 hours 25 minutes from a charge) but it got replaced under warranty a few months back due to a dodgy top button. Not sure if its iOS 7.1 or what.

24. liangchun macrumors newbie

Mine seems to be kinda terrible as well, this is my first charge...
    But after realising that I have my brightness at 85% I know why it drains faster than usual compared to on 7.1.2

And also, my 5s has already ran through 200 charge cycles since I bought it on Feb

[​IMG]

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

10% down after close to an hour of usage and over 8 hours of standby? That doesn't exactly seem terrible.