iOS 8 Keyboards Climb to Top of App Store Charts

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 18, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With yesterday's launch of iOS 8, devices running the new operating system are now able to install third-party keyboards that work on a systemwide basis. Most of the major keyboard makers were ready for the launch, introducing iOS 8 versions of their keyboards into the iOS App Store. One day after launch, three of these keyboards, including Fleksy, SwiftKey and Swype, are now at the top of the top iOS paid and free charts in the U.S. and other countries.

Within 24 hours of their debut, paid keyboards Swype and Fleksy climbed to the top two spots in the U.S. paid iOS app chart, displacing popular games such as Minecraft Pocket Edition and Five Nights at Freddy's. On the free app chart, Swiftkey jumped to the number one spot, beating out the now freemium and very popular 1Password password manager and the newly launched Amazing Thief game. Perhaps most impressively, SwiftKey has even displaced longtime number one Facebook Messenger from its spot atop the rankings.

[​IMG]
    The new keyboards are of course benefiting from launch-day momentum of the iOS 8 debut, and it remains to be seen where they will settle in the charts following the initial surge of interest. Still, it is clear that many users are interested in at least trying out alternatives to Apple's default keyboard, even with its new QuickType suggestions implemented in iOS 8.

These three keyboards and more are available to all iPhone, iPad and iPod touch owners running iOS 8. SwiftKey [Direct Link] is available for free from the iOS App Store, while Fleksy [Direct Link] costs $1.99 and Swype [Direct Link] is 99 cents.

Article Link: iOS 8 Keyboards Climb to Top of App Store Charts

2. reden macrumors 6502a

Such a great feature, something I missed from Android. Too bad it logs all your keystrokes and even credit card numbers. That's the only thing that concerns me.

3. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I gotta say, I'm not really impressed with the ones I've tried. I still prefer the stock keyboard. But I suppose the more options the better.

4. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

So are any of these proving to be better/faster to use than the new stock keyboard?

5. gatortpk, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

gatortpk macrumors 6502

I like the current keyboard fine, especially with the new added QuickType suggestions to choose from.

6. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Perhaps you haven't found the right one yet. I'd suggest the DadaistBoard:

[​IMG]

7. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Do you know if it's encrypted or not?

8. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Which keyboard app is the best? Top 3? I'm trying to figure out before my phone arrives tomorrow.

9. SR71 macrumors 68000

10. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

Once you get used to the Swype-style keyboard, it's hard to go back to anything that doesn't do that.

Much faster than stock iOS keyboard.

11. Yelmurc macrumors regular

The stock keyboard is fine for me. But I'm glad we finally have the option of other keyboards.

12. MikeyMike01 macrumors 6502

Do you think Android keyboards couldn't? The only difference is Apple's warning you that it's possible.

13. ironman159 macrumors regular

ironman159

I'm 24 hours in my SwiftKey test drive and I can say I'm not impressed. I live in Costa Rica and I usually text in both English and Spanish at the same time. SwiftKey tries to manage this the best way possible but it usually mixes stuff. The things I'm most definitely bugged about is the lack of accents for the Spanish language using the Flow mechanism. And this is something the Apple default keyboard has perfected over the years knowing when the accents go according to the sentence organization. I hope this stuff gets ironed out in future updates.

14. barondebxl macrumors 6502

barondebxl

swype is the best keyboard ever alongside switkey. Dont know why apple held these beautiful things back from their users for years.

15. mrbyu macrumors 6502

Guys, are any of these 3rd party keyboards of some use for non-English text input? Because as far as I understand they are all about some kind of predictive input, which is unlikely to work in my language (namely Hungarian).

16. commander.data macrumors 65816

So how is SwiftKey able to offer their keyboard for free with no IAP? Are doing this out of kindness or monetizing it in other ways?

17. Sonmi451 Suspended

I'm having problems with these keyboards not loading at all, or suddenly disappearing. Not sure what the problem is, but it's annoying.

18. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I'm enjoying Fleksy so much! Makes you wonder why it took apple so long to support this.

19. cocky jeremy Suspended

cocky jeremy

I love SwiftKey, but getting to emoticons is a pain. :(

20. 6836838 Suspended

If you don't mind giving someone every keystroke, maybe! You ever wonder why it's free?

21. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I'm using Fleksy and it supports a ton of languages. I have Dutch and English set up as my default languages and its very easy to switch between them

22. BassPlayer macrumors member

BassPlayer

Took three runs through to make out what's being typed. LOL

23. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

24. Baklava macrumors 6502a

Baklava

25. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

Fleksy is my go-to, and I've been a Swiftkey user for years.

Interestingly enough, I got Fleksy for free when it launched on iOS. Not sure how, but I'm not going to argue.