Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

n0b0dy

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2015
I've had this problem since the iOS 9 beta and it still happening. It happens when you have are you using the landscape mode app and something else get swap too. I have to pulled up unlock the rotation and switch it back and then lock it again. It's something I've just learned to live with lol

Ok, let's get this clear because we are talking about the same bug, but from different angles and I understood why I was kind of wrong. It was a big bug at the beginning and now they just split it, partially fixed it, suggesting they are working on it.

You're definitely right: switching app from a notification, when it appears at the top of the screen or from the Notification Center pulled down, still ends in a landscape stuck thing (I didn't notice it before your feedback, so thanks).

Me, I was talking about the same initial situation but when switching app from the App Switcher. Since iOS 9.2b2 and from my usage, everything seems to be back like it used to be in iOS 8 and earlier, so now I can live with rotation lock alway on with no rotation issues using App Switcher from landscape mode only apps. Even the previews are back in portrait and don't show a outdated landscape preview when screen rotation is locked and the switcher opened from a landscape mode app.

But making tests to understand why we don't end to the same result just made me notice that if an app (let's say Mail) has previously been opened and closed in landscape (with rotation unlocked or also with the bug you've described), when you later lock the rotation, the App Switcher opens the concerned app in the orientation it has previously been closed (by close I mean going back to home screen with home button). So even from App Switcher, unlike what I thought, there is still a way to get stuck in landscape mode.

In short, when switching apps from a landscape situation with rotation locked:
  • from notifications or Notification Center, apps still get forced and stuck in landscape mode [NOT FIXED]
  • from App Switcher, apps are previewed, opened and stuck in the orientation they previously been quit and are not systematically previewed and forced to open in landscape anymore like it was the case in iOS 9 before 9.2b2 [HALF FIXED]
Right?

Baby12

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2015
Stavanger
H
6665a08deaecaefadc0f41e071bbdf05.jpg

Not bad, in my opinion.
How did you get these numbers instead dots?

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
What's the "outright messes" (especially when compared to early iOS 8 or 7 versions)?
Android Lollipop and Windows Vista were the outright messes, compared to their successors (Android Marshmallow and Windows 7, 8.1, 10). Lollipop had a severe RAM management issue and Vista was overly demanding for its time and rather inefficient with hardware resources.

Luckily Apple seems to be reacting faster than Google and Microsoft. In Androids case, Lollipop didn't get an intermediary fix until 5.1 and not a proper fix until 5.1.1 in May. Though 6.0 still puts it to shame, so you could even argue that it took Google 12 months to clean up and fully fix the problem. Apple has already released their version of 'Lollipop 5.1' in the form of iOS 9.1. Hopefully iOS 9.2, when it is out of beta will attain 'Lollipop 5.1.1' kind of status. Then, finally next year we can get iOS 9.3/9.4/9.5 (hopefully) or iOS 10 (hopefully not that long) to be the 'Marshmallow 6.0' analogue.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
So I was just scrolling through Flipboard and my buddy just happened to be looking at the device and even he asked why is the scroll so stutters and he showed me the app on his GS6 and it was flawless.9.4.1 can't come fast enough....

sl4vik

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
As someone who had a nexus 6p next to me right now, and notwithstanding the mediocre battery life, while I'm enjoying marshmallow, it still has janky animations and scrolling which would never fly with iOS users.

I just sold my Nexus 6p this morning. Phone was very fast, but the screen was garabge as was the battery life. Android is still unusable imo. The small things that matter dont work right, like do not disturb. Hell android still cant figure out a simple volume layout. The silence switch is just genius on apples behalf.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
H

How did you get these numbers instead dots?

On your dial pad, dial *3001#12345#*

Field test mode should pop up. When it does, do a hard reset by holding down the home and power button.

When the phone turns back on, signal should be displayed in dBm instead of those worthless dots.

Blaster13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
On your dial pad, dial *3001#12345#*

Field test mode should pop up. When it does, do a hard reset by holding down the home and power button.

When the phone turns back on, signal should be displayed in dBm instead of those worthless dots.
You can also toggle from numbers to dots by pressing once activated.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Android Lollipop and Windows Vista were the outright messes, compared to their successors (Android Marshmallow and Windows 7, 8.1, 10). Lollipop had a severe RAM management issue and Vista was overly demanding for its time and rather inefficient with hardware resources.

Luckily Apple seems to be reacting faster than Google and Microsoft. In Androids case, Lollipop didn't get an intermediary fix until 5.1 and not a proper fix until 5.1.1 in May. Though 6.0 still puts it to shame, so you could even argue that it took Google 12 months to clean up and fully fix the problem. Apple has already released their version of 'Lollipop 5.1' in the form of iOS 9.1. Hopefully iOS 9.2, when it is out of beta will attain 'Lollipop 5.1.1' kind of status. Then, finally next year we can get iOS 9.3/9.4/9.5 (hopefully) or iOS 10 (hopefully not that long) to be the 'Marshmallow 6.0' analogue.
So basically apples to oranges type of comparison then where "absolute mess" doesn't seem to compare.

thed0g

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2015
If they fixed it, you'd find something else to complain about.
Well personally I didn't start reading about iOS or visited any iOS related forums before this **** started, simply because there was no good reason for it.

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
I just sold my Nexus 6p this morning. Phone was very fast, but the screen was garabge as was the battery life. Android is still unusable imo. The small things that matter dont work right, like do not disturb. Hell android still cant figure out a simple volume layout. The silence switch is just genius on apples behalf.
Really? Why? Wasn't that good phone or what?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Lol the screen is far from garbage.Its a quad HD screen compared to the HD screen of the iPhone

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Lol the screen is far from garbage.Its a quad HD screen compared to the HD screen of the iPhone
Does Android lag or is it the pinnacle lag free experience you're searching for?

If iOS 9 should get to a 99.9% lag free operation, you do know you'll find that .1% and report it here, right? ;)

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
The fact Android is being brought up shows the current state of iOS. Can't see that being allowed to fly for long.

Gaven

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2011
Terrible battery drain on this beta 2. Is there any ways where we can downgrade back to Beta 1 9.2?

martin2list

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2014
Dresden
Does 9.2 fix any iMessage/general Notification delays?
Between my iPhone and Mac everything is fine, but my iPad hardly catches up. Especially when I wake it up, iMessage chats are from a few hours ago, and it takes about 2-5 minutes til it updates them. The same with notifications from other apps.
or is it a general problem, because my iPad has Cellular?

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Beta 3 due this week i think

New beta every week seems to be the norm for 9.2

What I would love to see, although I doubt, is even better battery life/performance. Apple can't do any harm by allowing the semi-older devices to maximize its battery life.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
New beta every week seems to be the norm for 9.2

What I would love to see, although I doubt, is even better battery life/performance. Apple can't do any harm by allowing the semi-older devices to maximize its battery life.
It's hard to say what is the "norm" or a pattern based on just two instances when it comes to 9.2, but a new beta could certainly come this week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.