Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
I had my parents update only because of the emojis. I could've told them "it has security features and bug fixes" but I might as well have been speaking an unintelligible language to them then.

MacRumors users forget that the average user doesn't know which version of iOS we're on, or what the changelog says.

Reactions: allpar

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015

Attachments

• finger.png
    finger.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
I didn't "jump" to 66%, it's risen slowly as more people update over time, and has also been spurred on by the release of 9.1 and also iOS 9 jailbreak.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Upgraded to iOS 9, regretted it and wished I could have gone back due to lag.

Sent 6+ in for repairs - replaced with a new phone still on iOS 8.

Never upgrading.

Will buy a 6S+ and use iOS 9, but for something with half the RAM, not a chance.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

agentx

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
iPad 2, the tablet they sold for years for only "$400" because people loved buying it still.

Apple should of continued signing iOS 7 for 4s and iPad 2/3. They effectively made the user experience so bad on these devices that they are barely useable. Shame as they work very well on iOS 7 and should have more life in them !
They sold 1000s into education and for sure lots of people have passed older iPads to kids etc after upgrading only to be screwed over !

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
Correlation does not equal causation. This article implies that the increased adoption was caused by the availability of emojis.

Exactly - just like the stock market headlines every day. You'll see "Market Dips on Euro Stability" the day after market was up 2% despite the same worries. Meanwhile, there are 1,000 other levers influencing the market.

My guess - which is equally unfounded - would be that more causation comes from the "wait 'till the .1" philosophy for upgrades.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Looks like I'm one of those 25% of people that like to stay with stable and fast software.

Couldn't be happier with 8.4.1. All I need is a jailbreak.

leroypants

Suspended
Jul 17, 2010
People are upgrading to 9.1 because they are sick and tired of their iphones reminding them every single day to update.

Reactions: Spectrum

autrefois

macrumors 65816
so users trying to say they updated purely due to enoji's ?

No, although MacRumors implied this in their headline and story, they don't present anything indicating that users said the reason they updated was because of the emoji.

As several people have said or suggested, correlation (the fact that new emojis were in the update that people downloaded) does not mean causation (they downloaded the update because of the emoji).

MacRumors generally makes good editorial decisions and hopefully will correct / clarify the story.

People have presented several counterarguments or other possible factors. For example, I'm about ready to install 9.1 just because I'm sick of iOS bugging me to update. That's probably not a good reason to install updates, and we used not to have to deal with this as much in the Apple ecosystem (much less from Apple itself). But I would bet at least some other people have done it for this reason.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
It was like 50% after only one week, 60% after like two weeks, and now only 66% ?

Which leads me to believe ~30% of the iOS ecosystem consists of 4 types of people :
A) Are waiting for a stable version
B) Don't care about upgrading
C) Don't know how to upgrade (moms and dads :D)
D) Tell themselves they will upgrade later but procrastinate

....assuming this % is based on iOS9-eligible devices.

Count me in the A category. I always wait a bit for any news of big bugs, and if there are big bugs, I hold off.

JoshDoug

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2014
Pretty impressive results from the lockout.

The lockout?

Yes, you know, the one where if you want to try the newer OS, shortly thereafter they stop allowing us to downgrade back to WHAT WE PAID FOR!

Why don't they be honest!

Honesty?

I can't seem to find the definition via El Capitans built in dictionary.... :eek:
You can go to Settings > Trackpad > Point & Click and it's the first option, for some reason mine was turned off after updating to El Cap, no idea why.

GoodWheaties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Apple should of continued signing iOS 7 for 4s and iPad 2/3. They effectively made the user experience so bad on these devices that they are barely useable. Shame as they work very well on iOS 7 and should have more life in them !
They sold 1000s into education and for sure lots of people have passed older iPads to kids etc after upgrading only to be screwed over !
I know some people that have iPad 2's on iOS 8 and it definitely is slower, but on the other hand, my bro-in-law had a 4S on iOS 7 and was saying how he wasn't going to upgrade because he heard how it slowed your phone down. I was telling him some of the things he was missing out on by not updating (voice texts, etc.) and he said he already had that. So I looked in General and sure enough, one of his kids must have updated the thing to 8.1 and he couldn't even tell!!!!

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
I am happily still on iOS 7 on an iphone 4S and I wish Apple would stop sending me alerts to update to iOS9.
It is pretty much a given that iOS 9 will run like crap on a 4S (2+ year old hardware). Whereas I find iOS7 to be perfectly acceptable and wish to stay with it until the phone dies.

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
For me, IOS 9 (9.1), has been a solid update with greater speed and stability on both my current devices. Only gonna get better from here. Very pleased!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.