iOS 9 Beta 5 Wallpapers hint at Apple going AMOLED for 6S and 6S+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Technarchy, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Browsing through Flipboard today I came across iOS 9 Beta 5 Wallpapers and they look 100% optimized for AMOLED displays rather than LCD.

Notice the incredibly vivid colors, high saturation, and the majority absence of power draining white (for AMOLED). iOS 8 wallpapers featured LCD friendlier white versions with white backgrounds. Not so in iOS 9 Beta 5.

Thoughts?

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/08/06/15-new-wallpapers-ios-9-beta-5/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

As I recall iOS 8 has a number of similar dark wallpapers as well.

3. xaqt93 macrumors 6502

xaqt93

4. Technarchy thread starter macrumors 603

Technarchy

With white iterations...Not so here. It's copious black to go around here.

Similar too

[​IMG]

5. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Doesn't AMOLED suffer from screen burn-in? Not sure how much of a real world problems this is, however it would be a concern to apple.

6. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

I think we'll have to wait a year for the screen tech to move to amoled....(iPhone 7)I'd love to be surprised in September though :D

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Yep, I do not think we will see This technology till the 7.

8. zbarvian macrumors 68010

9. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Not anymore. The new internet ion of the galaxy series have the best screens in mobile.

10. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

Why don't they just come out with the iPhone 7. Why bother with an iPhone 6s.

Everyone already knows what the phone should have but with Apple, we're never on the latest technology.

11. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

These new wallpapers are nice. If they added an AMOLED screen on the next iPhone that would be amazing. That's the only thing I envy from my android friends, their screens are typically much more appealing to the eyes. I only have an iPhone 6 but the 1080p on the 6 plus might be better, I haven't seen one in person.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Why does the name matter?

13. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Things are so confusing with the OLED, 1080p/1440p, and force-touch displays coming sometime in the future. I would think that it's convenient to switch to all of these once rather than one at a time.

14. nordique macrumors 6502a

Interesting postulations, OP - it will be interesting to say for sure.

Will make a 6s purchase that much more enticing for me, that's for sure!

15. febernovo macrumors regular

I was just coming here to make this post. Yeah this wallpapers definitely mean OLED is coming to the iPhone. It would be a big surprise to the 6s and a dead given to the 7.

The iPhone 6 already features the edges that would make the screen float into the glass.

I would not be surprised to see Apple doing something big around this technology for iOS10; Creating an option on the settings to change the "theme" of the UI from "Light" to "Dark" just like they did on the Mac. This would be huge, would make all the information look like its floating on top of the glass. Just like the Apple Watch.

16. febernovo macrumors regular

And if so... They will also hopefully make my dream come true of extending the black faced iPhone colors.

CK8KTpNUMAATQEg.jpg

17. Prozak0820 macrumors regular

Prozak0820

I want them

18. Technarchy thread starter macrumors 603

Technarchy

I think it is a strong hinting of OLED at least. I'm using those wallpapers on my Galaxy S6. Not only do they look great, but the blacks are real black. In the dark room they give off no Luminance at all. These are wallpapers I really would expect on a Samsung device.

It would be a nice addition come the reveal.

19. febernovo macrumors regular

We will see. We do are getting some upgrades on the display department this year with force touch

20. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

I'm still on the fence about getting a 6s plus. If apple decides to go with a AMOLED screen then I'm definitely sold.

My s6 edge display is much more pleasing to the eye than my iPhone 6 plus. Hopefully the iPad Air 3 will get a display upgrade as well.

21. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I'm not very knowledgeable on the specs of the s6 edge but a friend of mine has one and I agree his display is far superior to my iPhone 6. I think that may be my only complaint about the iPhone; the screen they use.

22. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

It would be stupid for apple not to. I mean why just put new force touch displays on the new iPhones when they have the Apple Watch OLED force touch displays. They could simply scale the process up to larger displays and put them in den 6s and 7 etc, instead of manufacturing only force touch displays and one generation later to switch processes to OLED.

23. GoneDrinkin macrumors regular

OLED definitely is coming, and once the Apple watch was revealed to be using the technology, it was a guarantee.

I don't think it'll come to the 6s, though. Absolutely no rumours to indicate it, and this would be a massive upgrade to the iPhone that leaks just couldn't be contained.

iPhone gen 10 is next year. That's going to be their biggest release, and I'm sure they'll horde a lot of big upgrades till then.

I would only love to be proved wrong all the same!

24. nordique, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015

nordique macrumors 6502a

Agreed, would love to see them come to the 6s but something would likely have leaked by now regarding OLED.

OLED is definitely going to be coming eventually, but my bet would be next year - not because its going to be a case redesign, but just because I think the timing is better for Apple.

One of the advantages of OLED is they can make the screen thinner; in this case the phone is getting a bit thicker, though I do submit that could be for a myriad of other more plausible reasons

One thing in the favour of "perhaps OLED this generation (9th gen iPhone)", is that OLED also more flexible which is what helps with force touch on the Apple Watch. I originally thought when it was learned Apple Watch had OLED, that for sure the next iPhone would have force touch along with OLED to help with the input

Now we know 6s will more than likely have force touch; however the way which Apple is implementing it may be different than Apple Watch, especially if they stick with LCD (which they probably will - though hopefully they further improve the screen; 4s -> 5 -> 5s screen constantly got better, 6 improved it further...they've pretty much perfected LCD on the smart phone and hopefully they continue that trend with the 6s)

25. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

First of all, awesome username! And good point about next year being gen 10. Hopefully Apple will introduce something huge but yet nothing any of us could think of while being extremely useful.