Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Again like everything Apple uses its per Apples design. Do you think when Apple needed Ax chips Samsung made and shipped Exynos chips to Apple? When Samsung made iPad screens they were Apples design, LG and Sharp didn't meet Apples design quality control.

I'm still not sure what you are on about. Are you saying Apple calls up Samsung and says "yeah we need some screens.....gives us the best you got"?

Nearly all the parts Samsung and others make for Apple carry an Apple patent.

^ exactly this.

Ax chips are Apple chips and not Samsung. Samsung just manufacturers them FOR Apple because they have the labs to do it cheaper than what it would cost Apple to on their own.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
If they do switch to AMOLED it will definitely be in the design refresh, since AMOLED panels are thinner and could allow for a more radical overhaul.

Not necessarily. Don't get too caught up with "redesigns". A new iPhone is still a new generation, and it still brings new technology. Force touch is new tech, and so far in the only two devices that use force touch and a screen (Apple watch and that new Droid), have OLED displays (more flexible, so more responsive to force touch)

Again, I'm definitely in your camp - in that I think it will be next year when we see OLED, but not because next year will bring a redesign.

I think it would have been discovered if the new screen were amoled because wouldn't they look quite a bit different than just a slightly different cable, wouldn't they?

I agree that somewhere along the supply chain it surely would have leaked. And I also think it will have an LCD, personally

But the argument behind the single flex cable is that OLED displays only require one flex cable, whereas LCD displays require two (the same as every previous iPhone)

I agree with you in that it could simply be a new design, more so to perhaps accommodate force touch, rather than a sign it "will" use an OLED display.

Reactions: lagwagon

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not necessarily. Don't get too caught up with "redesigns". A new iPhone is still a new generation, and it still brings new technology. Force touch is new tech, and so far in the only two devices that use force touch and a screen (Apple watch and that new Droid), have OLED displays (more flexible, so more responsive to force touch)

Again, I'm definitely in your camp - in that I think it will be next year when we see OLED, but not because next year will bring a redesign.

I agree that somewhere along the supply chain it surely would have leaked. And I also think it will have an LCD, personally

But the argument behind the single flex cable is that OLED displays only require one flex cable, whereas LCD displays require two (the same as every previous iPhone)

I agree with you in that it could simply be a new design, more so to perhaps accommodate force touch, rather than a sign it "will" use an OLED display.

Even though you disagree with amoled maybe being tied to a redesign. Haven't all screen upgrades come with the redesigns? (4 got retina, 5 got 4", 6 got 4.7 and 5.5)

"s" models get the other hardware major updates/new tech.

So based on that it makes more sense that 7 is the likely phone to start getting almoed.

Also Force Touch doesn't require amoled at all. The tech isn't exactly part of screen tech. It's just a sensor behind a screen. MacBook and MacBook Pro trackpads aren't amoled screens.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Even though you disagree with amoled maybe being tied to a redesign. Haven't all screen upgrades come with the redesigns? (4 got retina, 5 got 4", 6 got 4.7 and 5.5)

"s" models get the other hardware major updates/new tech.

So based on that it makes more sense that 7 is the likely phone to start getting almoed.

Also Force Touch doesn't require amoled at all. The tech isn't exactly part of screen tech. It's just a sensor behind a screen. MacBook and MacBook Pro trackpads aren't amoled screens.

You raise good points, and I don't disagree with that - though what I meant was more so Apple's likely OLED partner (LG) is apparently expanding OLED production capacity (for iOS products) but the time line with which its been reported to ramp up capacity, lines up better with iOS devices next year, rather than this year. Thats my own postulation though. I'm sure an argument could be made for "well, LG already has the capability to manufacture OLED displays"

Also, one could say the screen upgrades came with redesigns as a function of them being redesigns - the 5s has a different display than the 5 or 5c for example, with colours that are more akin to a

However, with the display tech it may be implemented differently than with a trackpad. I think and believe that the 6s will retain LCD, as you suggested it need not be "exclusive" to OLED as the trackpads have shown - but proponents for "6s may have OLED" suggest the key lies in the recently revealed screen comparison where the 6s screen uses one flex cable to the display rather than two (characteristic of OLED displays) and the second flex cable simply goes down to the home button (apparently this is for touch ID; redesign from 5s and 6 from what I can gather)

Whereas LCD uses two flex cables, and that tech has been consistent on all LCD retina iPhones to date, in that one flex cable is for the digitizer (touch screen) and the other for the LCD.

As you suggested though, that doesn't mean it requires OLED and I'm sure Apple can figure out how to integrate it with LCD.

Reactions: lagwagon

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Again like everything Apple uses its per Apples design. Do you think when Apple needed Ax chips Samsung made and shipped Exynos chips to Apple? When Samsung made iPad screens they were Apples design, LG and Sharp didn't meet Apples design quality control.

I'm still not sure what you are on about. Are you saying Apple calls up Samsung and says "yeah we need some screens.....gives us the best you got"?

Nearly all the parts Samsung and others make for Apple carry an Apple patent.
Yes Apple designs certain things and has other companies make them for Apple, such as the A series chips. However, they do not design OLED panels. That is a tech that Samsung makes, LG makes, as well as countless others. Sure Apple likes for the panel to be flexible, or laminated to the display, but the actual quality of the panel itself is from the tech and design that the manufacturer uses to produce it.

I really don't know what you're on about as I've never once said that Apple uses proprietary tech (Exynos chips) from other companies in place of its own. Apple would never call and ask to "gives us the best you got". They would place an order for certain size and resolution displays made per their overall requirements. However, the tech that Samsung uses to produce the displays in the S6 is only used for Samsung phones themselves. There have not been any other phone OEM to use that type of panel in their devices. Samsung doesn't want to release those panels to other manufacturers yet, and it is their patents and designs on them. Unless Apple has a design process and manufacturing process patented that could come up with the panels in the S6, they are at the mercy of whatever panels they can source from other manufacturers.

Are you really suggesting that the new Qualcomm LTE modem supposedly used in the upcoming 6S has an Apple patent on it? I think Qualcomm would like to disagree.

Really, please try to understand. Apple doesn't design OLED screens, heck they don't even really design IPS displays. They source the, from other manufacturers and require certain quality conditions as well as some added conditions be met (like lamination and anti reflective coating).

Please, provide me with some sources as to any patents Apple has applied for in regards to OLED panels.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
^ exactly this.

Ax chips are Apple chips and not Samsung. Samsung just manufacturers them FOR Apple because they have the labs to do it cheaper than what it would cost Apple to on their own.
Yes, I have known that for years. Never once questioned how the A series chips came to be. That whole A series chip statement was fabricated out of thin air in a conversation based solely on OLED panels, and how Samsung isn't going to let Apple use it's most current design on the panels. No other manufacturer can. What I can gather from the other poster's logic is that Samsung doesn't design OLED panels, but Apple does; and Apple can order the same quality panels as the S6 whenever they please. That is a totally ludicrous notion.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thank you. Apple is going to have to rely on LG for those panels. Hopefully it pays off, because Samsung's will be #1 for at least another year I think, if not 2. Apple can't afford to source panels from a supplier that can't match the quality Samsung has. It will be a PR nightmare.

There is no way to know if Samsung panels will be #1 always. When/if iPhones get almoed it might just blow Samsung panels out of the water for all anyone knows. And it also doesn't mean Apple couldn't get Samsung to manufacture them. Apple hired someone from LG to help develope their(Apple's) tech not LG themselves, they don't necessarily need to have LG make them.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
There is no way to know if Samsung panels will be #1 always. When/if iPhones get almoed it might just blow Samsung panels out of the water for all anyone knows. And it also doesn't mean Apple couldn't get Samsung to manufacture them. Apple hired someone from LG to help develope their(Apple's) tech not LG themselves, they don't necessarily need to have LG make them.
Yes, that's true. But Samsung is #1 now, and will most likely be next year (their phones come out in March or so). I never said they would always be #1 just that they would most likely be that way for another year maybe 2. Just because Apple could use them to manufacture panels doesn't mean they'd be at the same quality unless that LG partnership pays off huge dividends.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Yes Apple designs certain things and has other companies make them for Apple, such as the A series chips. However, they do not design OLED panels. That is a tech that Samsung makes, LG makes, as well as countless others. Sure Apple likes for the panel to be flexible, or laminated to the display, but the actual quality of the panel itself is from the tech and design that the manufacturer uses to produce it.

I really don't know what you're on about as I've never once said that Apple uses proprietary tech (Exynos chips) from other companies in place of its own. Apple would never call and ask to "gives us the best you got". They would place an order for certain size and resolution displays made per their overall requirements. However, the tech that Samsung uses to produce the displays in the S6 is only used for Samsung phones themselves. There have not been any other phone OEM to use that type of panel in their devices. Samsung doesn't want to release those panels to other manufacturers yet, and it is their patents and designs on them. Unless Apple has a design process and manufacturing process patented that could come up with the panels in the S6, they are at the mercy of whatever panels they can source from other manufacturers.

Are you really suggesting that the new Qualcomm LTE modem supposedly used in the upcoming 6S has an Apple patent on it? I think Qualcomm would like to disagree.

Really, please try to understand. Apple doesn't design OLED screens, heck they don't even really design IPS displays. They source the, from other manufacturers and require certain quality conditions as well as some added conditions be met (like lamination and anti reflective coating).

Please, provide me with some sources as to any patents Apple has applied for in regards to OLED panels.

Ahh! I see the problem here. I'm using the word design and your defining it as "invent" or "reinvent". For example I can design a house to my specs. That doesnt mean I invented or reinventing a house it just means I made the plans for it. You are contradicting yourself because of that when saying Apple places an order for a certain size and resolution (aka design) then say "Apple doesnt design OLED screens". Apple placing an order for screens designed to their specs doesnt mean they are actually creating something from scratch.

On topic (as distant as that is now) my point initially was Apple will do what they've done since the company was created. They will design something and have other manufacturers build it. Obviously Samsung wont use their propritory technology, they wont need too because like iOS devices current screens they arent the best even with the dated technology they are using (LCD IPS).

I apoligize for the miscommunication because I think we are arguing to different points.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yes, that's true. But Samsung is #1 now, and will most likely be next year (their phones come out in March or so). I never said they would always be #1 just that they would most likely be that way for another year maybe 2. Just because Apple could use them to manufacture panels doesn't mean they'd be at the same quality unless that LG partnership pays off huge dividends.

True Samsung panels will probably remain #1 next year (since the iPhone 7 may or may not even still have amoled in the fall of 2016.)

It's not really a LG partnership either. Apple hired one of the lead guys from LG. Who is now an apple employee to help Apple develope their own/new amoled tech. Apple's tech "could" be better than Samsung's if/when it eventually comes out and wouldn't stop them from still making them for Apple. It's money in their pocket. And it also doesn't mean even if Apple used a different company to manufacture them that they will be far worse than Samsung's either (the company Apple uses isn't really all that relevant, since it would be Apple panel and not whoevers.) Samsung isn't some magical company that them and only them can/will have the best phone screens.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Ahh! I see the problem here. I'm using the word design and your defining it as "invent" or "reinvent". For example I can design a house to my specs. That doesnt mean I invented or reinventing a house it just means I made the plans for it. You are contradicting yourself because of that when saying Apple places an order for a certain size and resolution (aka design) then say "Apple doesnt design OLED screens". Apple placing an order for screens designed to their specs doesnt mean they are actually creating something from scratch.

On topic (as distant as that is now) my point initially was Apple will do what they've done since the company was created. They will design something and have other manufacturers build it. Obviously Samsung wont use their propritory technology, they wont need too because like iOS devices current screens they arent the best even with the dated technology they are using (LCD IPS).

I apoligize for the miscommunication because I think we are arguing to different points.
Yes, I understand now that we were indeed. Sorry for the mishap.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
True Samsung panels will probably remain #1 next year (since the iPhone 7 may or may not even still have amoled in the fall of 2016.)

It's not really a LG partnership either. Apple hired one of the lead guys from LG. Who is now an apple employee to help Apple develope their own/new amoled tech. Apple's tech "could" be better than Samsung's if/when it eventually comes out and wouldn't stop them from still making them for Apple. It's money in their pocket. And it also doesn't mean even if Apple used a different company to manufacture them that they will be far worse than Samsung's either (the company Apple uses isn't really all that relevant, since it would be Apple panel and not whoevers.) Samsung isn't some magical company that them and only them can/will have the best phone screens.
Again, never said that only Samsung will have that best screens. They do now, and will likely next year, and possibly the year after.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Again, never said that only Samsung will have that best screens. They do now, and will likely next year, and possibly the year after.

Unless I understood wrong (which could happen) you basically said that unless the hiring of the guy from LG pays off for Apple that Samsung's screens will remain best. (Not an Apple fanboy thing but I doubt Apple would release a "new to them" tech and have it worse than what's already out there. Especially with the bankroll they have at their disposal.) I 100% agree with you though that Samsung's screens are king at the moment and will be until someone comes out with something. And then it will just leap frog over and over like most things in tech.

Does anyone know how well the Watch amoled screen compares? (Probably too hard to tell because of size and resolution differences.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.