Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dadiduekappa

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2013
Naples - Italy
78989d74aadb8b0d0c2b3de95674b9ff.jpg

OK this was weird!
Just appeared to my iPhone 6 too.

Reactions: februarian

madara889

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2015
I really hope the GM brings the speed and smoothness that has been lost throughout the iOS 9 betas. 8.4 was very quick on my 6+ and even my Air 2 has lost a little bit.
I agree with you ios9 Gm must be smoother and faster than ios8

mous94410

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2015
for the iOS 9 GM tomorrow -- you guys doing an update or full restore?

I'm going to do an update because I'm abroad and I have not taken my computer. But you should do a full restore, it's better ! I'm going to do that when I would return home

everlast77

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Sweden
This text is from Apples beta software program site.

How do I get a shipping version of iOS back on my iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
Always back up your iOS device before installing beta software. To get a shipping release of iOS on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can simply install the final version of the software you are testing when it appears in Software Update. If you would like to go back to a previously released version, you must first erase the beta software, then re-install the latest shipping version of iOS, and finally restore from your previously saved iTunes backup.

Reactions: stusgt67

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This text is from Apples beta software program site.

How do I get a shipping version of iOS back on my iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
Always back up your iOS device before installing beta software. To get a shipping release of iOS on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can simply install the final version of the software you are testing when it appears in Software Update. If you would like to go back to a previously released version, you must first erase the beta software, then re-install the latest shipping version of iOS, and finally restore from your previously saved iTunes backup.
That certainly mentions the final version (vs the GM)...we'll have to see how it all goes.

kyemaloy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2015
I'm a little iffy about restoring and then updating then using my backup as I have loads of data on my Apple Watch and don't wanna loose my data and awards :(

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I'm excited and nervous for iOS 9 for my iPhone 6 and my iPad 4. Right now I'm on 8.4 on my iPhone 6 keeping the door open for a jailbreak. I hope you guys can give a good mini review on the performance of GM for the iPhone 6. I really hope performance is at the very least up to par with 8.4. I played with the beta and I came away feeling that if the GM is the same I'm going to stick on 8.4 until the iPhone 7 next year!

Right now 8.4 is great for what I use my 6 for. My only complaint is the music app doing the 2-5 second lag thing after playing music for awhile. It's a real bug that affects everyone and its still not fixed on 8.4.1 as I can get my iPad 4 to do it as well.

I'm starting to believe that it's true that you should leave the major iOS version your phone came with on it for the duration you have it to enjoy the best performance! I'm sure the 6s will run iOS 9 great as they are probably programming it specifically to run the best on that hardware. All the other devices seem to be getting sloppy seconds in the past and its annoying!

Every upgrade with my iPad 4 has been a true downgrade with overall performance with basic things like safari browsing! iOS 6 was lighting quick with safari and now with 8.4.1 it's laggy with the scrolling and it takes much more time to load web pages. I really wish I could go back to 6 on it. Lesson learned!

Anyways I'm still holding out hope that Apple is true to their word about performance this time with iOS 9. So far the beta has been disappointing. And I can't stand the new font! It's not cleaner or easier to read IMO. I end up staring at the letters and thinking about them and how weird they look and I feel like I installed a crappy font on bytafont that I can't delete right away! I might become one of those people who have the red 1 badge on their settings app for a long time to come!

Another problem I have is the FaceTime camera shifting problem. I'm really thinking about sending it in again (that's a whole other story...4th time camera shifting problem) before the warranty is up but then I know it will come back with that goofy font and iOS 9. But also when I go to sell my 6 next year I don't want it to feature that little foam washer in the camera too for someone to look at and say I don't want that! Decisions decisions. :)

Reactions: doug in albq

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Except that you can.

The GM has never been released as an OTA update, so no, you cannot.

(Yes, the GM usually ends up being identical to the public release, but that's different. The GM is still technically only released to developers until the following week when the same build is released as an OTA.)

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

(Yes, the GM usually ends up being identical to the public release, but that's different. The GM is still technically only released to developers until the following week when the same build is released as an OTA.)
So Apple expects public beta testers to restore with iTunes? I don't know about that.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

It has in the past...

Edit: hasn't!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.