Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There are quite a few major changes in iOS 9, like split-screen multitasking for the iPad, improvements to search and Siri, under-the-hood performance boosts, and revamped apps, but there are also dozens if not hundreds of lesser-known tweaks and refinements that make the iOS 9 experience better than ever before.

We've had a lot of hands-on time with iOS 9, so we've rounded up a list of the best hidden features in new operating system. These are great little changes you're going to want to know about, so make sure to check out the video and the list below.

Settings search - There's a new search bar in the Settings app that lets you quickly locate a specific setting by typing in what you're looking for. Want Siri settings? Search for Siri, and all the settings options for Siri will be shown in a list.

settingsearch.jpg

Go Back to App - When you tap on a Notification or a link in Safari or another app and it opens a new app, you can go back to the previous app using a handy new "Go Back" button. The "Go Back" button will stick around for about a minute before disappearing, so you can switch quickly between apps if you just want to glance at something real quick.

backtophotosbutton.jpg

Battery settings - To go along with all the new battery features in iOS 9, there's a new dedicated "Battery" section in the Settings app, where Low Power Mode can be turned on. It also displays more detailed battery usage information that can be sorted by apps using the most and the least amount of power. With Low Power Mode, background activity, motion effects, and animated wallpapers are disabled. Battery information is also displayed in the Notification Center, for the Apple Watch, iOS devices, and some other connected devices like wireless headphones.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: iOS 9 Hidden Features: Settings Search, Selfie Folder, Home Sharing for Music, Go Back to App, and More

Alex Moran

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2015
Has the easy text selection thing made its way to the final release on iPhone ? It was available on initial betas

Reactions: eyeseeyou

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
A selfie folder seems like a good idea, but one wonders if they had a folder for all the pictures OF the selfie folder itself where it would all end.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Has the easy text selection thing made its way to the final release on iPhone ? It was available on initial betas

No, Apple said it was an accident that it was included in the initial betas.

I call BS, though. They pulled it because the 6+ lacked enough distinguishing features. It makes no freaking sense - the feature works fine with the 2 finger gesture on the iPad and iPhone - why arbitrarily require 3D touch to activate it just on the iPhone?

Reactions: TonyC28

Cobra611

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Beacon, NY
I have to say, the battery widget is probably the most useless thing I've ever seen. If you're curious what your battery is at, look slightly higher past the widget to the top right of your iPhone's screen.

I wouldn't know...it's not available on my phone.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
What about some real help? Like whether 9 will break wifi or cellular connection this time, and an estimate on the release of 9.0.1 to fix that?

girafficorn

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2015
Don't forget about the ever helpful "pull down to go back" when viewing photos/videos. You used to HAVE to tap the "Back" button on the top left when viewing a photo/video to go back to the album view, and now you can simply swipe it down like the Facebook/Tumblr/twitter apps.

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
I have to say, the battery widget is probably the most useless thing I've ever seen. If you're curious what your battery is at, look slightly higher past the widget to the top right of your iPhone's screen.

Battery is hidden in notification center if the only thing to report is iPhone battery, it only shows up if you have another device connected. It's actually extremely nice to have for Bluetooth headphones to see an exact percentage, however you also get a small battery graphic in the toolbar next to the Bluetooth icon to give a rough indication.

kcirtap00

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
But if you have Apple Watch, then it makes sense

I do have an Apple Watch, and I just look at the battery complication on the watch. But as others have pointed out, it also shows the battery percentage of connected bluetooth devices which seems useful.

Reactions: Gasu E.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.