iOS and Android Capture Combined 98.4% Share of Smartphone Market

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 18, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The latest numbers from research firm Gartner reveal that the smartphone industry continues to be largely a two-horse race between iOS and Android. The two mobile operating systems combined for 98.4 percent worldwide market share in the fourth calendar quarter of 2015, compared to 96.4 percent in the year-ago quarter.

Android remained the world's most widely used smartphone operating system with 80.7 percent market share, while iOS recorded 17.7 percent market share. The fourth quarter has historically been the most successful for iPhone and Android-based smartphone sales due to the holiday shopping season.

[​IMG]

Windows Phone and BlackBerry smartphones accounted for just 1.1 percent and 0.2 percent market share respectively during the three-month period ending December. The results are largely unsurprising, as Microsoft is scaling back its Windows Phone efforts and BlackBerry released its first Android smartphone last year.

[​IMG]

Apple and Samsung shipped a collective 551.2 million smartphones in 2015, trailed by Huawei, Lenovo-Motorola, and Xiaomi with 107.1 million, 73.9 million, and 72 million shipments respectively, according to recent Strategy Analytics data. Global smartphone shipments totaled a record 1.44 billion in 2015.

Windows Phone was perhaps the closest platform to being a true third place competitor, but its market share has dwindled as iOS and Android continue to grow. Samsung and Mozilla also have Linux-based mobile operating systems in Tizen and Firefox OS respectively, but adoption of each platform is comparatively slim.

Article Link: iOS and Android Capture Combined 98.4% Share of Smartphone Market

2. koulmj macrumors 6502

3. Thunderhawks macrumors 601

Shocks, with one being a copy of the iOS very surprising.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 18, 2016 ---
    In some shady downtown areas if you know a "dealer".

But, be careful. They may follow you and beat you up for using a blackberry to begin with.

4. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

You know you're doing terrible when you have less marketshare than Blackberry.

5. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

I just remember when Steve would've been happy with 1% of market share, they've come such a long way.

6. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

So, what you're saying is that I should buy blackberry stock now because there is only one way to go..... up.

7. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Microsoft might not be in such dire straits if they hadn't screwed over their existing mobile customer base. Repeatedly.

8. gpat macrumors 6502a

Android = most volume.
    iOS = most profit.
    That's it. People shouldn't flame over it.

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The only way for them to go now is bankrupt.

10. fifthworld macrumors 6502

BlackBerry and Android Capture Combined 80.9% Share of Smartphone Market!

11. bladerunner2000 Suspended

bladerunner2000

Blackberry is an Android device. Derp.

12. RickInHouston macrumors 6502a

Wow, I'm surprise apple share is SO low. Yes, yes, I know apple phones are so much more expensive - that is outside the US.

13. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I would only buy for $1 or $2 a share as a longs shot investment.

15. CFreymarc Suspended

I believe they are only fulfilling enterprise contracts and that is it.

That real tragedy here is the failure of the Windows Mobile platform. They could have easily become a "wacky number three" but for whatever reason, that is not happening.

16. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

wow, windows phone really hasnt done well.

17. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I'm confused by the choice of headline.

When we're talking about Macs or OS X, we have articles like:

"Macs make up 11% of worldwide personal computers"

No mention of the fact that Windows is at 87%. No mention of the fact that various Linuxes and Unixes make up another 2% or so.

But when we talk about iOS, it's important to talk about the market share that everyone else has, and the fact that iOS + Android make up 98% of the market, even though nearly identical statements could be said about OS X and Windows.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 18, 2016 ---
    That's because Microsoft has thrown in the towel. They're now putting their services on Android and iOS devices.

Although I feel that the move was premature. I feel like they could really use laptops running Windows 10 to sell Surface products, which could then be used to sell Windows 10 Phones.

18. macboyfan macrumors member

So did iOS lose almost 3% of market share in one year? Or am I misinterpreting this?

19. PalmiNio macrumors newbie

PalmiNio

Correct

20. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

So Apple is losing market share and shipping less units. Ditto for the iPad.

21. PalmiNio macrumors newbie

PalmiNio

Yes for 1 quarter of a year at least. So we have to wait and see what the YtY will be

22. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

The trend is definitely on the downswing for the iPad. It will be interesting to see what happens with the iPhone.

23. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

It was just a joke. Herp.

24. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Well, at least here in Mexico more people are opting for low-end Android devices as the cheapest iPhone 6s you can buy is $14,000 MXN (A month of salary for the average chap). Damn dollar!

Also, "Peak iPhone"?

25. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

But that isn't something new, right? There has always been a wide price gap between the iPhone and the lower end Android devices.