Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iOS 16.2, iPadOS 16.2, and macOS Ventura 13.1 betas introduce a new Home app architecture upgrade, which can be installed to upgrade performance. The architecture overhaul follows the addition of the Matter smart home standard in iOS 16.1 and iPadOS 16.1.

home-app-architecture-update.jpg

Apple ahead of the launch of iOS 16 promised a new architecture for the Home app, and said that it would be a separate update. Apple says that it brings faster, more reliable performance, especially for smart homes with a lot of smart accessories installed. Users will be able to communicate with and control connected accessories more efficiently from multiple devices at the same time with the Home app.

Updating the Home app architecture will require all Apple devices that access the home to be using the latest software, and those that aren't updated will not be able to access the HomeKit setup through the Home app. To install the architecture update, users will need to have a device running iOS 16.2, iPadOS 16.2, or macOS Ventura 13.1, as well as the HomePod 16.2 software, which is available in a beta capacity to a limited number of testers.

Article Link: iOS and iPadOS 16.2 Betas Overhaul Home App Architecture With Improved Performance

Last edited:

xpxp2002

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2016
So it forces you to upgrade to iOS 16.2 or equivalent (assuming watchOS 9.2, tvOS 16.2, etc.) before you can proceed. So what happens if you upgrade your home, then sign in to your Apple ID on a device running an older OS...

GTDaveMac

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
I also wonder if any existing HomeKit backups via 'Controller for HomeKit' would be compatible.

GTDaveMac

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
So it forces you to upgrade to iOS 16.2 or equivalent (assuming watchOS 9.2, tvOS 16.2, etc.) before you can proceed. So what happens if you upgrade your home, then sign in to your Apple ID on a device running an older OS...
Home app on that device probably will not work.

There is no way that it would require all devices to be upgraded... for example someone has an iPhone 14 but an Apple Watch Series 3 that can't be upgraded. The banner in this article states that HomePods need to be all updated, not all devices.

Someone that upgraded before stated the warning was that upgrading "would cause older devices to not be able to access the Home."

PauloSera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2022
The best upgrade would be fixing Siri
If you mean in relation to Home specifically, this should address some of it.

After this update, your device will only need to talk directly to the Home hub for issuing commands to devices. All devices will talk only with the Home hub. Your device no longer needs to talk directly to each device.

1 connection is infinitely more reliable than 20 or 200 connections.

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2014
If you mean in relation to Home specifically, this should address some of it.

After this update, your device will only need to talk directly to the Home hub for issuing commands to devices. All devices will talk only with the Home hub. Your device no longer needs to talk directly to each device.

1 connection is infinitely more reliable than 20 or 200 connections.

You mean one homepod mini will know about the other timers created on my other homepod minis?

zachz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
I hope it fixes the terribleness of the Home app and overall HomeKit experience (at least for me).

I only have Hue items and two HomePod minis and Siri can never seem to do what I ask. Scenes are set up properly in the Home app and work if I use my iPhone, but if I use my HomePod she'll set the scene but the colors are always off. Or, only half the lights will work or everything will work and she'll say "hmmm, some lights failed to respond" (despite everything working fine)... years ago, pre HomePod, everything worked flawlessly but now it's a disaster.

boombashi

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2005
I still don't understand why I need to scroll horizontally trough all my scenes. That's the most stupid UX thing Apple did in this app. If I have a super tall screen, let me use it.
You can click on the Scenes header and it allows for scenes in full screen. You can then control which scenes show up on the Home Screen, but yeah it sucks if you have a lot of Home Screen scenes.

Reactions: twistedpixel8

MallardDuck

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2014
Hopefully it makes it easier to move devices between rooms, have 'groups' that cross rooms that Siri actually can use, and sync a heck of a lot better with external hubs and devices (like the hue bridge).

Reactions: centauratlas

boombashi

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2005
Good to see they released iOS 16 for OG HomePods since they say all HomePods have to be on iOS 16.2 - there were no iOS 16 betas for the OG HomePods, so I was afraid they dropped support for them.

Reactions: Dionte and xpxp2002
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.