iOS beta 5 for iPad observations

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Jakimo, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Jakimo macrumors 6502

Pls post your observations.

I see many animations are now closer to completion, pinch to go to Home screen is smooth for example.

2. LeoNatan macrumors member

LeoNatan

They removed blurring on iPad 3. Pathetic cheating for performance by Apple, I have to say. And keyboard is still dog slow.

3. kendo88 macrumors regular

Which model are you using? I'm disappointed with this update on my ipad 3. Transparency has been nearly fully disabled, but not sure why, because it hasn't increased performance very much, there was no problem with performance previously with it enabled. Hoping it's just a temporary thing

Pinch to close apps completely freezes my ipad too which is disappointing because I use that a lot, never use the home button normally, but I have had to disable multitasking gestures.

Also, as I mentioned, I usually solely use gestures to navigate my ipad, never use the home button, but with ios, that doesn't seem to be 100% possible. If you open newsstand then there is no way out without using the home button

4. Jakimo thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup, that doesn't look good at all.

A few Safari glitches have been fixed, just checked Bookmarks for example.

My keyboard response is fine so far on an iPad 3.

Funny, just noticed an Undo button in the keyboard while typing this. It appears in the left side after hitting the .?123 button. This is new, yes?

5. Paddle1 macrumors 68020

6. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

iPad 4 here. Performance is exactly as with iOS 6. Everything looks very polished. I love what I am seeing. iOS 7 is a great update.

7. kendo88 macrumors regular

Is the transparency the same as beta 4 on your ipad, or is it also now frosted/barely transparent.

Also, can you guys test 4 finger gesture to close apps and let us know what happens.

8. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

After upgrade to Beta 5, I have urge going back to iOS 6. The non-transparent keyboard looks terrible and speed seems slower.

----------

I noticed there is a slow delay for wallpaper to show up when pinch to go home screen

9. iapplelove macrumors 68030

iapplelove

I have been at work all day but plan on updating soon as I go home will give a full report :D

10. kendo88 macrumors regular

Which model?

11. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

iPad 3... Maybe I phased wrong, there is a slight delay for wallpaper to show up

12. kendo88 macrumors regular

We'll either way, it's different to what I get. I can't pinch to home screen. Crashes my whole device. Seen somebody else say that they had the same issue

13. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

I can make a small video show you. The difference from iPad to iPad Mini is very noticeable.

Maybe you should reset all settings or you should do a clean install of iOS 6 then do upgrade...if you are developer, you might want to do a fresh install

14. kendo88 macrumors regular

I am a developer, so will have oh problem clean installing. But I have that much on my ipad right now, it's pretty lengthy to restore lol. I'll probably put up with it until next beta. Have just disabled gestures, as I'm so used to using them, I keep forgetting and keep locking up my device and having to hard reset!

15. costica1234 macrumors member

Yes, I have the same behaviour on my iPad 3 as other noted (blur is completely gone, 4-5 fingers gestures make the tablet crash ...). I am very much disappointed with this update. Beta 4, although it crashed from time to time, was blazing fast on iPad 3 and I hoped that Beta 5 will improve on ...

16. stooovie macrumors 6502a

Really? It's a glitch-fest on my iPad 4 even on beta 5 (pinch to close glitches, lists such as bookmarks in Safari are laggy and choppy...) I know it's a beta, but there's a huge difference in polish between my iPhone 5 (nearly flawless) and my iPad 4 (really bad still).

----------

Still the same jumpy, jerky finish as with previous betas. iPad 4.

17. melb00m macrumors regular

No, it has been removed in beta 5 as well.
    Performance appears to be considerably snappier now, though.

18. DariusX macrumors regular

I have an ipad 3, and I agree, beta 5 is terrible.

Apple better fix this crap before they release it to the public, or my next tablet certainly won't be an ipad.

For those of you with the multitasking gesture crash/freeze issue, try resetting all settings; it fixed the issue for me.

19. kendo88 macrumors regular

Yes, can confirm that resetting all settings fixed the problem

20. DariusX macrumors regular

Actually never mind, the issue came back again = =

21. costica1234 macrumors member

For me it didn't work ... 2 minutes after resetting all settings I did a pinch with 5 fingers to return to the home screen which froze instantly ... I've already done 2 fresh installs, nothing seems to work :(

22. kendo88 macrumors regular

Yeah haha. Worked for about 5 mins, then broke again

23. jonnyb098 macrumors 68000

The ipad 3 wass a joke. Glad I skipped it and got the iPad 4. There's a reason they updated it so quickly. Many developers have said that 3 was horrible to optimize for. This proves even apple is having problems making their new OS run smooth on a one year old device.

----------

And ironically the ipad 4 is currently apple's powerhouse device. Still bests the iPhone 5. The past reports seem to be proving true that they a putting much more effort into the phone. ipad version seems unfinished. And not beta unfinished. Like we don't care unfinished.

24. Nanasaki macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

I really do 't understand how Apple managed to make iPad 3 smooth to sluggish again...

And it takes extremely long to boot... Just crashed... God this is terrible

25. batting1000 macrumors 604