Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS devices accounted for 44 percent of all U.S. smartphone activations during the first calendar quarter of 2020, the highest number of activations Apple has seen in a single quarter since 2016.

cirpsmartphoneactivationsq12020.jpg

According to the data sourced from Consumer Research Intelligence Partners, Google's Android operating system was responsible for 56 percent of all activations due to the higher number of Android smartphones out in the wild.

Market share numbers for iOS and Android have largely remained stable over the course of the last few years with just minor fluctuations in activations due to operating system loyalty.

In the quarter ending in March, 89 percent of Android users remained with Android, while 91 percent of iOS users stayed with iOS when activating a new mobile phone. iOS and Android loyalty rates have also fluctuated little over the course of the last three years as people tend to stick with the operating systems they're familiar with.

cirpq12020loyalty.jpg
"Operating system loyalty is stable at very high levels," added Mike Levin, Partner and Co-Founder of CIRP. "For the past four or so years, around 90% of new mobile phone activations stayed with the buyer's previous operating system. Despite Apple's efforts to attract Android users to iOS, and Android handset manufacturers' similar efforts to attract iPhone customers, operating system usage is among the stickiest of all consumer affinities."
CIRP's data was based on a survey of 500 U.S. subjects from April 1 to April 9 that activated a new or used smartphone in the January to March 2020 period. Given the small sample size, there is certainly some margin of error to these numbers, but the data provides a reliable look at activations and loyalty over time as it uses the same survey each quarter.

Article Link: iOS Devices Accounted for 44% of All U.S. Smartphone Activations in Q1 2020

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I wonder what an activation signifies-
If a family member gives me an iPhone 5 to add to my collection and I reset it and link it to my Apple ID- is this an "activation"? If so, is it meaningful?

Reactions: DeepIn2U and jent

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Phone OS loyalty is even more reason for Apple Watch to become smartphone dependent.
is this an "activation"? If so, is it meaningful?
According to the article, it’s based on activations of new mobile phone purchases and what the previous OS of that “activator” was on. The carriers would have that data.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Note 20? I think that will be my first Droid.

It’s a nice phone, and it’s fully loaded. I don’t have any issues with the hardware, it’s the software longevity. If you’re paying over a $1000 for a smart phone, I would expect at least three years or more from android, which you don’t receive. Apple has always been dominant when preserving iOS with at least five years of software updates.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It’s a nice phone, and it’s fully loaded. I don’t have any issues with the hardware, it’s the software longevity. If you’re paying over a $1000 for a smart phone, I would expect at least three years or more from android, which you don’t receive. Apple has always been dominant when preserving iOS with at least five years of software updates.
5s is getting almost 7 years of updates with iOS 12 updates.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
“More Android activations because there are more Android phones in the wild”. What brainbox came up with that explanation? Did anyone think there were more Android activations because 30% of iPhone buyers never activate or use their phone?

• Haha
Reactions: Justanotherfanboy

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
“More Android activations because there are more Android phones in the wild”. What brainbox came up with that explanation? Did anyone think there were more Android activations because 30% of iPhone buyers never activate or use their phone?
Can you explain what you mean?

Reactions: LCPepper

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
What matters is the size of the installed base.

If Android devices do not last as long, the number of Android activations could be higher than iOS even though iOS has a larger installed base (in the US).

Plus, I suspect there are more iOS hand-me-downs (vs. Android) to kids that are not activated with telecom providers and just use WiFi. That would also effectively increase the size of the iOS installed base as well.

ComSore I believe estimates iOS installed base share in the US at ~ 55%.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
You might wanna check those maths again fella? 56 for android kinda trumps 44 for ios wouldn't you say?

56% considering how many different manufacturers and models are out there isn't that great... especially compared to many other parts of the world where Android dominates the market. It's all relative.

That coupled with my anecdotal evidence that nearly 2 out of 3 or even 3 out of 4 Americans I come across have an iPhone.

Therefore, one can conclude, again:

America runs on iOS ™

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I wonder what an activation signifies-
If a family member gives me an iPhone 5 to add to my collection and I reset it and link it to my Apple ID- is this an "activation"? If so, is it meaningful?
Definitely meaningful as you are staying within the Apple ecosystem and are a potential customer for other Apple services and hardware. It’s not a new activation though, might not be considered a used activation unless it’s activated with a sim.

Tekguy0

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2020
dislike them both ... they seem more “budget” like missing features. I hope the 5,4/5,8” iPhone 12 models don’t gimp on hardware features this year like the Xr/base 11.
I dislike them too. But that's why they have the Pro models, with more HW features. It should be noted though that the "standard" iPhone equipment list does not seem to include tons of camera lenses, OLED, etc. The base XR and 11 do have the latest chips of their generation.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Stevie jobz 2.0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2019
56% considering how many different manufacturers and models are out there isn't that great... especially compared to many other parts of the world where Android dominates the market. It's all relative.

That coupled with my anecdotal evidence that nearly 2 out of 3 or even 3 out of 4 Americans I come across have an iPhone.

Nope, it's not about how many manufacturers there are, its not about your narrow viewed opinion . Sorry to disappoint you old bean, but when official figures are released, and 56% of the country uses android, then as hard as it is for you to get your head round these complicated equations,. But the USA is run on android... :)

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Nope, it's not about how many manufacturers there are, its not about your narrow viewed opinion . Sorry to disappoint you old bean, but when official figures are released, and 56% of the country uses android, then as hard as it is for you to get your head round these complicated equations,. But the USA is run on android... :)

I see the quarantine has had an impact on your general demeanor. Whatever you say, 'Stevie Jobz 2.0'

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Comparing the platforms is one thing, comparing manufacturers is quite another. I agree with you, small sample size makes this an almost even call across the platform. (Plus CIRP has to apply their proprietary algorithms here) Apple though would win when comparing manufacturers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.