iOS Grew to Capture 42% of U.S. Smartphone Market Over Holidays

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 15, 2017.

1. StevieD100 macrumors 6502

StevieD100

Er? Look at the figures for WinPhone in Japan. iOS dropped 0.9% and WinPhone rose 1.0%.
    I agree that it by all accounts should be dead but MS still seems to believe in it. IMHO, someone should really put it out of its misery.

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Depends on what you mean by "trounced". If selling five $50 Android phones instead of one iPhone 7 means "trouncing", then Apple is getting "trounced". If you talk about putting money in the bank, Android is sooo trounced it's not funny anymore.

3. RoelJuun macrumors 6502

RoelJuun

MS actually did this, they paid dev's to port their apps. Some of the devs ported their apps and then mostly abandoned the app and didn't relase updates and fixes.

Didn't work out that well.

4. itguy06 macrumors 6502

The sad part is if they put a little effort into it and maybe dropped prices a little and actually listened to people they could own that market too. I found it quite interesting that IBM saves over $200 per Mac in TCO over Windows. And is deploying them like crazy. That alone could spark an advertising campaign and drive future sales.

I've already moved on and the grass isn't as bad as many would think as long as you stick with good hardware (ie not Dell and some of the lesser known vendors).

5. citysnaps macrumors 68020

Pretty amazing when you consider, as of August 2015, there are 1,300 companies and 24,000 devices that use Android (of course not all of those devices are smartphones).

But there is only one company, with relatively few smartphone models, using iOS.

6. Jsameds macrumors 68030

The only person doing this...is you.

7. mrhick01 macrumors 6502

A couple of things. iOS has been "trounced" by Android for years, but how useful is that when the only Android manufacturer actually making money is Samsung?

Moreover, even Samsung's smartphone profits pale in comparison to Apple's ecosystem? In this usage case, market share is genuinely useless. You don't need everybody, you need enough, and particularly enough for the population willing and able to buy your products.

8. avanpelt macrumors 68020

9. StevieD100 macrumors 6502

StevieD100

It is far more complicated that that.
    Most Social Media Users are happy with either platform. They just want something that allows them to get their hourly fix of Likes etc. A $100 cheap smartphone would do for most users.
    AFAIK, the next level is the peer group pressure. Any decent mid to high end phone would do here.
    Apple is at the top end of the top level phone. It's users are more liekly to spend money on apps etc than cheapo Android users.
    Yes it is true that Apple makes by far the most money on phones but for how long eh?
    Increasing the starting price of the next phone won't help either.
    I'm not looking at every buying a new iPhone again. I'll carry on using ones I get secondhand.
    It is not as if I'm poor but Apple is in danger of pricing themselves out of the market for an awful lot of people.

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

So they didn't do what I suggested then at all. I know about the prior program well. It failed in two ways.

First, it didn't pay enough to really incentivize the smaller studios.
    Second, it paid for the port immediately, and did not make the payment contingent on long-term updates or feature parity.

Also, not a failure, but the prior program was not specifically targeted based on app popularity.

11. LordVic macrumors 68040

yeah, i'm not one of those "all in" people. I have products from all different companies. I own a surface pro, a macbook air, my own custom desktop, an intel server, there are several iPads in the household. Brand loyalty isn't enough to keep me buying from Apple if Apple can't deliver what i want.

There was a time, where I looked at Apples products with awe, I wanted them. But couldn't afford.

then when i could afford, I bought them. Now, I can afford, but there's nothing compelling

12. creediddy macrumors member

For the first time in years Apple will officially hit 50% market share in the US by end of 2017. Samsung will still be at a breakeven point and most likely lose marketshare this year due to growth with Huawei and Xiaomi.

13. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

Monthly payment plans (iPhone upgrade program). Easier for some to pay like that.

14. RogerWilco macrumors 6502

RogerWilco

And like the purchased music "ecosystem" in the prior decade, Apple's vaunted iOS app ecosystem has peaked and is headed for decline. Apple itself is getting ready to axe the 32-bit titles (over 200K) from the app store, and this will surely piss off quite a few loyal customers. Even devs who moved their apps to 64-bit are facing the reality that for most of them their efforts were in vain.

15. neutralguy macrumors 6502

Because people in English speaking countries can be fooled easily by monthly plans. If you tell them that it costs 800$, they will balk at it. But if you tell them to pay 30$ a month for 36 months, then they are fine with it. Why do you think credit card business flourish in English speaking countries?

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Because language makes a meaningful difference in something like that?

17. ravenstar macrumors member

Paying based on popularity isn't really going to work either. Unless a developer wants to take a chance that their app will make it into the top x, and invest in the work of simultaneous dual development, the Windows apps will always be behind. And really, is $100,000 to cross port a top rated iOS app really worth it, or could that effort be better spent on developing the next top app?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2017 ---
    From the comments on here it seems there'll be plenty of demand for an expensive new iPhone. I don't understand it either. Why upgrade every 6-12 months? My old iPhone 4s still does what I need and I've saved thousands by not trying to keep up with the latest devices.

18. Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

In China, Xiaomi is huge. If Xiaomi was available in the U.S., I think it would be a huge impact on other phone manufacturers with price point and their phones appear to be well made with some really nice features. (Reading from reviews).

19. neutralguy macrumors 6502

Every language comes with a culture:) most English speaking countries is more western culture. If you notice the Asian culture is where iPhone is doing bad because in Asian culture, people like buying the product by paying upfront. Most of them don't believe on monthly plan because they don't want any financial commitment that spans over 3 years.

In the other hand, I don't understand why people get into the monthly upgrade plan. Don't you have to return the old phone when you upgrade? If so, then what is the payment for? Just to use the phone?

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

There are certainly differences of that sort, along with all kinds of other ones, which aren't necessarily language related, nor are they necessarily indicative of them being behind it all simply because such differences might exist.

21. macs4nw macrumors 68040

macs4nw

Funny to think back to that Balmer Youtube clip where he was deriding, and generally being dismissive of the coming iPhone back in '07.

On topic, Android of course has the obvious advantage of being the OS for multiple smartphone manufacturers, while Apple goes it solo with iOS, which makes their marketshare as small as it is worldwide, even more remarkable.

22. bn-7bc macrumors member

bn-7bc

Yes removing stikker shock is iportant in some cases, I guess a lot of people don't look at total cost, only cashflow. They see $30/month(or equivalent in local curency) and think I can afford that, But give them the lump sum end they say hell no, I don't want to rape my bank account today

23. Constable Odo macrumors 6502

Constable Odo

Yeah, Apple is always getting trounced by some rival company. There are so many people who believe market share percentage is everything and I'm not sure why. All a company has to do is keep lowering prices on a halfway decent product and people will buy it. The problem with that is that the company will impact their profit margins and that's bad for business. Market share percentage greed should not be the goal of any company. Once a company captures all that market share they're going to need to properly support all those customers and that's going to cost even more money.

I'm not saying Android OS doesn't have a place in this world. I'm only saying that there is definitely a problem with keeping all those devices properly updated. What percentage of each Android OS variant is ever reached before a new Android OS is introduced. Maybe 30% of all devices per year? Is that something to boast about? So, Apple is getting trounced by Android in terms of market share percentage but Apple's profit margins are still high, so it probably doesn't matter. How much profit margins can an manufacturer make on $50 Android smartphones? Not very much, for sure. If a company can sell a million smartphones and lose money on each one, what's so great about that. See what happened to Xiaomi and what the former CEO had to say about the company. Yeah, they were supposedly killing Apple's iPhone in China and yet bleeding cash. I'm sorry but that's no way to run a business, high market share or not.

Whenever someone says Apple is getting trounced it ALWAYS has to do with lost market share percentage. Why are there no continual Toyota trounces Porsche articles? Because it doesn't mean a damn thing for either company.

24. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

So did Window Phone just quit marketing all together?

25. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

I never said anything about language. It is Apple that chooses to not have the iPhone upgrade program in places like Italy or Germany.