iOS Grew U.S. Market Share This Spring Thanks to 'Unprecedented Depth' of Price Options as Android 'Felt the Heat'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 24, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In the United States, iOS saw significant growth in the three months ending June 2018, with market share up 5.9 percentage points to 38.7 percent as tracked in the newest data from Kantar Worldpanel ComTech. Helping to boost iOS performance were sales for the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, together accounting for nearly one in five smartphones sold in the time period.

[​IMG]

Apple's other flagship smartphone from 2017, the iPhone X, was the fourth best-selling device during the April-June 2018 period in the United States. As iOS grows in the United States, Samsung and LG smartphones have "felt the heat" recently, with Android's operating system dropping 4.5 percentage points in the U.S. market during this time, down to 61 percent.

Kantar Worldpanel's Dominic Sunnebo explains that iPhones made up eight out of the ten best-selling smartphones in the three months ending in June, thanks in part to Apple's "unprecedented depth" across the price spectrum of its smartphones. Currently, customers interested in iPhone can start as low as $349 for the iPhone SE, or opt for the high-end 256GB iPhone X at $1,149.00.
    iPhone X continued to be the top-selling device in China, making up 5.3 percent of all handsets sold during the period and becoming the best-selling smartphone in the country every month since it was released in November 2017. iOS still dropped 2.1 percentage points during this time, however, down to 19.4 percent of the smartphone OS sales share in China, while Android grew 2 percentage points to 80.4 percent.

[​IMG]

Elsewhere, iOS sales share grew in Germany (2.8 percentage points), France (4.2), Spain (3.8), Australia (0.5), and Europe (1.3). As iOS grew in these territories, Android (and other operating systems) saw their shares dip. Android's 4.5 percentage point drop in the U.S. was its greatest loss, which is notable as one of the biggest drops for the Android OS in Kantar's U.S. tracking over the last year.

Android did manage to gain share against iOS in a few other countries beyond China, including Italy, Japan, and the UK.

For Apple, the company didn't launch an iPhone in the spring like it has done in previous years such as with the iPhone SE in 2016 and the revamped storage capacities in 2017, so it is interesting that Apple still managed to boost smartphone OS share without a brand-new product.

As we enter the second half of 2018, Apple is expected to debut three new iPhones in September -- a second-generation iPhone X, 6.5-inch "iPhone X Plus," and 6.1-inch low-cost iPhone -- which will likely see iOS boosted even more into the holiday season, although the upcoming months typically see iOS's share dwindle as people await fall updates.

Article Link: iOS Grew U.S. Market Share This Spring Thanks to 'Unprecedented Depth' of Price Options as Android 'Felt the Heat'

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

3. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

China has an ever growing middle class, so it makes sense that they'd be into the iPhone X, and have them as even more viable options as ever (although I hope they don't have to pay too much in import tariffs! I recall a couple decades ago, things like Ralph Lauren polo shirts were more expensive because of such).

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Speaking of "Unprecedented Depth of Confusion", I just took a look through Samsung's smartphone product page listings.

It's in the triple digits. :eek:

5. DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

6. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Of course. Apple has a lot going for their platform that other companies can’t compete with. Plenty of room for growth too.

7. MacBebe macrumors regular

If this is true, does this mean another good news for AAPL investors comes earning announcement next week? :cool:

8. Starlights macrumors regular

With all the data and privacy that Google steals through its various platforms including Android, I am not surprised. I moved out of Android in 2017 and will never go back. While Apple may have its own shortcomings, it is by far the lesser of the two evils at this time.

9. now i see it macrumors 68020

Amazing statistic seeing that millions of people had to suffer through a year of iOS 11.

10. omihek macrumors 6502

omihek

fixed: "Unprecedented Depth of Confusion for the Average Grandma"

11. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

The effect of beautiful notch. I am a changed man. I used to hate the notch and now I love it. I judge people a little when they have iPhones with no notch :D

12. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

While the numbers may show that AAPL increased marketshare, but an assertion that "unprecedented depth" had anything to do with it is just an assumption by the analyst.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 24, 2018 ---
    While the numbers may show that AAPL increased marketshare, but an assertion that "unprecedented depth" had anything to do with it is just an assumption by the analyst.

13. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

that was the implication

14. BlargKing macrumors 6502

BlargKing

When Apple offers a phone under 500$ that isn't a 2 year old model based on a 6 year old design maybe I'll show some slight interest.

Oh, and actual power user features thanks. Like a usable file system. And letting me drag and drop files from my PC over USB and never have to touch the abomination that is iTunes ever again.

15. 12643 macrumors newbie

The strangest thing is that Windows phones still have market share...?

16. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

Clearly Apple is doing everything wrong.

17. FelixDerKater Contributor

FelixDerKater

Having a low, mid, and high-end option wins the day.

18. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

And the above we be an assumption by a random poster.
    You too can be an analyst.

19. rowanmmcdonald macrumors newbie

Hey, forum lurker here.

Can I please quote this next time all you whingers trash something before you've used/experienced it? Cheers

20. NoNothing macrumors 6502

Even if Apple made the abomination you are talking about, you would never get an iPhone.

21. Baymowe335, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018

Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

Apple is dominating, as I keep saying.

Wait until earnings are reported next Wednesday.
    And I’ll get an Android phone when someone supports it and the software is as secure and smooth as iOS. Oh and the chipset even comes close to the A11. Or the FaceID system.

22. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

Why is iOS on life support with only 8% in Spain? Tim Cook need to focus more on Spain and less elsewhere.

23. Danoc, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  24. LovingTeddy macrumors 65816

LovingTeddy

Well... Really, if you look at the whole picture, iOS really isn't grow much else where. Yes, Android managed to loos some market share in US, but it also gain market share else where. Overall, Android still the dominate OS compare with iOS.

I would say, as iPhone become more and more expensive, Android would capture more market share. As mid-range Android phone become better with better mid-range chips, mid-range phones are becoming more capable and more price competitive.

I am firmly believing iPhone will follow Macs route, it will became smaller player in overall smartphone market.
    Android is not dominating, market share indicating otherwise. Nobody should really care about company's net earning, it is meaningless to consumer.

And Android is smooth right now. I see no lag even with my mid-rang Andriod phone. iPhone is just overpriced gadget now.

25. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

Unless you own stocks. iPhone is far superior to Android, for my needs and a growing number of people, particularly in the US. Apple owns the high end market, which is all they care about.