iOS has got no soul anymore

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Deasnutz, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deasnutz macrumors 6502

If I wanted straight functionality, I'd just go android. Almost feels like a bastardized fake version of a real thing.

And I blame Tim Cook 100%. If that guy had ONE JOB, it's to keep the core talent from leaving apple. Just piss all over everything Steve worked for all these years dipshit.

2. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

Wat

Not sure if serious -- why wouldn't you want straight functionality in a device?

3. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

4. Jakimo macrumors 6502

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

You know Steve had 4 years of products in the pipeline before his death right?

6. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

And you know the worst part? iOS 7 doesn't even care.

[​IMG]

7. Svengali macrumors newbie

8. syd430 Guest

And they couldn't change their minds right?

9. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Steve's plan with the 4 years of products didn't involve firing his mini me Scott Forstall, who was in charge of the design of ios....Steve didn't have Jony design software which makes you say hmmmm.

4 years of products, maybe, but as far as software design, would have been collaborated with Forstall, and was most likely all thrown out with his departure.

As crazy as Steve was in matching the leather in his plane, and Steve's love of making technology more closely resembling real life, like page flips, knobs, buttons etc... I could never believe his pipeline included firing Scott, and allowing Jony to UI design.

ios 7's (design) is completely new and wasn't remotely part of any of Steve's pipeline, functionality maybe, design, nope.

I'm rooting for the new ios, in some ways the new Apple is more open to ideas , but saying no is also important.

10. cobbyco, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2013

cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

No, because they didn't need to.

11. Bobby Corwen, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2013

Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Not THAT in detail.. And changes clearly happened.

12. notrack macrumors 6502

In some way it makes sense that Apple heads for a cleaner design. It matches the the hardware and the general appearence of the brand. But it is also risky to make extreme changes like this because it's not only up to the technical design stuff but also to what it feels like and the style it expresses. It's really hard to implement these "soft" factors.

While I personally like minimalistic clean design, but I also understand that others percieve it as empty, sterile and lifeless.

13. syd430 Guest

I take it you have read Jobs' biography and the constant power struggles that went on which decided what course a product would take. Even Jobs couldn't get it his way half the time and was known to reverse course sporadically. Jobs couldnt even turn a profit at NeXT for the first 9 years and the Apple III was a flop, not to mention a long string of other failures under his watch. The guy was clearly a genius and visionary but it took him decades to learn many mistakes, so no Apple is not going to follow Jobs' vision to every little detail.

14. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

iOS never had any soul, how could it be gone?

15. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

Personally, I agree with the OP. Apple products have never been about functionality, they were about art and user experience. Sadly some people just don't get it so it's hard to have a proper discussion on this type of subject.

16. leman macrumors 604

What? Apple was ALWAYS about pure functionality, presented with great sense of aesthetic. Apple NEVER had nonsense-features in their products, it was always straight to the point and minimal. I think iOS 7 fits the theme quite nicely.

17. mirzank macrumors regular

so exactly what did you expect regarding steve jobs? for him to live forever just so you could have your gadget fix? guys gone. he trained tim cook. he made sure tim cook was ceo because he trusted him. do you think its easy to run an organization the size of apple? its not. so first of all, go easy on your anger towards the lack of steve.

Secondly, as for the the no soul part. you still havent explain what you mean by "no soul". i actually think ios has MORE soul now. if you werent so hesitant to change or fixated on the departure of steve jobs, you'd notice that too. sure you dont get 3d icons and you might not like the icons, but look at the multi layer design of the iphone. i love how you can see through the lock screen keyboard to the background wall paper. love how bringing up notification centre or cntrol panel shows the slight colours of the background behind it.

I love how windows slide into view. i love the sleek new thin font.i thoguht i'd dismiss paralax for just being a gimick (like i dismissed siri or apple maps), but i actually like paralax surprisingly. i love the sleeker mail app. and sms. and the dial pad.

so i think you've just got blinders on because its very easy to be outraged when you have nothing else to complain about. relax. take a deep breath. and it will allll be ok.

18. mirzank macrumors regular

user experience IS functionality. apples user experience is giving the user straightforward, simple, usable, attractive design. to me that in the core of functionality. now you might not agree with the actual functionality it provides but thats a different story. you can't deny that apple started the smartphone revolution (the MAINSTREAm revolution) because it was simple and straightforward. it was FUNCTIONAL without bogging down the user in unnecessary complications.

you just want something that functions DIFFERENTLY. What you're saying is: Why do i need a sandboxed experience. why am i not able to install any software outside the app store. why am i not able to play crysis on my iphone.its like saying "man screw the iphone i can't dj on it" when really waht you need is turntables not an iphone.

so in summary, the iphone experience is all about functionality. you just want something different. maybe more complicated is what you want (but that doesnt equate to more functional).

19. Maagus macrumors regular

On the contrary. I think that iOS now has more soul than ever. Especially on the iPhone. I finally feel like this is the way iPhone should have been from the beginning.

20. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

21. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

His one job is to make the company money.

And Steve gave him the blessing to do that as he felt fit, not to try to be Steve 2.0

If by core talent you mean that sycophant Scott Forstall, he wasn't the end all and be all that some try to see him as. He was however the one who jumped to add pointless gimmick moving shadows etc to iOS 6 while removing useful functions such as being able to use the quality of videos being downloaded from the store while also not catching a huge and costly to the consumer wifi bug in the first release etc.

----------

Maybe, could have been more

----------

1. We will never know cause Steve is gone
    2. Keeping Forstall for as long as he was could have been a mistake. One that Steve never saw because he was blinded by his sense of loyalty to a guy that had been around kissing up to him since NeXT.

I'm sure that Scott Forstall is a very smart guy but there are lots of smart guys out there. And just because a highly vocal minority doesn't like a direction Apple is taking doesn't equal it being a mistake, stupid etc.

----------

Art changes. And users aren't as dumb as they were 5 years ago when they needed a UI that coddled them.

22. batting1000 macrumors 604

I like how everyone thinks they knew what Steve Jobs was like as though they were best friends.

23. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Basically Steve Jobs would have done whatever they would do. If they don't like something then Steve would never have done it. :D

24. batting1000 macrumors 604

Exactly. :)

25. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

I've tried to like each BETA of iOS7. I always fall back on iOS6. 7 tried to "simplify" everything by removing UI elements. It was those UI elements that made it simple in the first place. All they needed to do was visually unify everything to create a more coherent experience, and update the look of the buttons...not remove them completely.

Removing contrast, buttons, and butchering Safari was not on my list of things that needed improvement.

I can't stand Ive's vision. He's a genius, but this was a misstep for him. Will be jailbreaking to use an alternate theme.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.