Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jphall

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
AppleScript

Last summer, someone put up info about making a script to repeatedly ask the iOS server if there was an update. It informed me of the 4.1 update within minutes of it going live. Apparently I deleted my version of this script as I cannot find it on my HDD.

I have searched MacRumors and Google for help in making a new one, I cannot find any info about how to do this. Anyone know where this was posted?

Thanks.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
Thousands of iPhone and iPad users are now hitting the "check for update" button every 5 seconds. That should help things along.

true! true! lol,

what if it kept gong down because of the load of people checking, and so people continued to check because they thought something was up. and it just snowballs from there.

jared52

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
Weird, I got this:

Screen%20shot%202010-11-18%20at%203.57.43%20PM.gif

david77

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
It looks like 6pm tonight. They continue to tweek the servers in what is believed to become a massive download as iPad users run to the next new thing. Most cellular companies in Canada have shut down there software push servers as they ready for the onslot. 6pm seems logical as my contacts are still working on what they tell me is something big. Everyone I know is booked for overtime tonight.

Guess not, eh?

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Apple should release a dummy message on itunes that says 'Please stop checking for updates and be patient' or something to that effect when people keep checking constantly..

EDIT: Lol, just saw your post with the picture. Nice one

rkw0211

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
Delaware
weird, i got this:

screen%20shot%202010-11-18%20at%203.57.43%20pm.gif

Win!

Edit:
Oh yeah, and in stead of clicking the update button, just go to ios.e-lite.org. Found it during the iOS 4 update frenzy, it checks Apple update servers for the latest firmware version for every device and you can also download it from there when it becomes available.

MacRacer

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
My Race Car
Weird, I got this:

Screen%20shot%202010-11-18%20at%203.57.43%20PM.gif

thumbs up

I got a error message from the Apple Software Update to get the new update for Safari today. It was strange because I read this forum just before getting the new update. I wonder if Apple has the new data center they built up and running and the systems is switching over to the new center. I see they completed the building a while back.

MacKeeperFanMod

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Can explain to me why this is 4.2.1? Why did they add an increment? Why not just call it 4.2 and change the build number?

Update: Someone tells me it has to do with ISO rules. That once a GM is released you cannot release a second build with same version number. I have no knowledge of ISO rules, so ... okay.

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
I have been getting this error too; i called apple and their database was down and they werent able to help me either way. I did some research online and it seems that alot of people are getting this internal error after the process goes threw restoring the phone. I can ensure macrumors members that this is because the servers are being way overloaded and if you keep on trying eventually it will go threw just fine. I tried and after about 20 something times it finally went threw and things are working fine now.

wargamer6

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
I have been getting this error too; i called apple and their database was down and they werent able to help me either way. I did some research online and it seems that alot of people are getting this internal error after the process goes threw restoring the phone. I can ensure macrumors members that this is because the servers are being way overloaded and if you keep on trying eventually it will go threw just fine. I tried and after about 20 something times it finally went threw and things are working fine now.

So you bumped an almost year old thread, about software that's obsolete, just to say you "called apple" about this? Cool story bro. :rolleyes:

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
So you bumped an almost year old thread, about software that's obsolete, just to say you "called apple" about this? Cool story bro. :rolleyes:

I didnt read the date of the article; my fault ;/ I just did a search for the error and didnt read the date; my intentions were good though n trying to help other people out who are having the same problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.