Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

124038-iphone_update_down.jpg

Several users have reported that Apple's iOS software updater within iTunes is currently down, leading to speculation that the company could be preparing to roll out iOS 4.2 in the very near future.

Users connecting their devices to iTunes and clicking the "Check for Update" button are currently being greeted with the following message:
The iPhone software update server could not be contacted.

Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later.
iOS 4.2 had been rumored for release last week, but a last-minute issue with Wi-Fi connectivity for iPad users reportedly results in Apple pushing back its internal release timeline and issuing a new golden master version for the iPad to developers. Rumors have pegged the new public release of iOS for sometime this week or early next week ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday in the United States.

Article Link: iOS Software Update Down, iOS 4.2 Imminent?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Er, ya, it was fairly short-lived, but was down at least sporadically for a minimum of 20 minutes.

Comment

Joker Eh

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
A company can not even update the server update software without all kinds of speculation. :rolleyes:

I am sure that when it is released Apple will let us know. :D

Comment

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
The last several software updates have occurred at EXACTLY 1:00PM EST (5 minutes from now). Mark my words.

UPDATE: Guess I was wrong.

Last edited:
Comment

pwb0

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
Actually the servers have been intermittently down for at least nine hours. Also, every time they are up, the date for the next update check still shows as 11/18/10.

Sounds to me like we could expect a nice present today... :)

Comment

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Thousands of iPhone and iPad users are now hitting the "check for update" button every 5 seconds. That should help things along.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.