iOS THE MISSING BASIC FEATURES?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Futhark, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

I LOVE my iPhone but there are several simple features missing that my old phones over the last 10 or so years could do on the Symbian OS that aren't included in iOS unless you decide to jailbreak.

My 3 Main Features I miss:

1: SMS Delivery Reports
    2: Profiles for Ringer, Texts, Emails
    3: Full Bluetooth Integration

these are my most missed features in my iPhone. What are yours and why? Also why do you think these were never integrated in the first place? As for number 3 I can appreciate the copyright issues here but I'm keen to hear your views :)

2. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

1. Comes with iMessages in iOS 5
    2. Probably never gonna happen
    3. What do you mean by "full?"

3. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Agreed 100%. I would love to have delivery reports and sound profiles.

4. smotheredhope macrumors regular

shoulda been around before when they have always been consistanly behind other phone developers and you had to jailbreak just to have simple crap like video, copy n paste, and your own background ad naseum

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

6. shandyman Suspended

you're not totally right with number 1, delivery reports are for iMessage only, not for SMS.

7. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I think he means file transfers, like songs and movies, which Apple doesn't allow as an anti-piracy measure.

8. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Personally, I think that having multiple profiles for ringers is pointless. I think you just need on, silent and volume adjustment, which is exactly what the iPhone has. Apple realised that most people only need/want these options when they 'reinvented' the phone.

With every phone I've had that had profiles available, including a BlackBerry, I never used anything other than silent and one other profile. For me, getting an iPhone and having a simple mute switch was a great simplification.

Oh, and in iOS 5, you can choose the alert sounds for all the major notification events (emails, texts etc.), so some that element of profiles is being added.

9. ann713 macrumors 6502a

10. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

I'm a postman and I'm up at 4:30am most mornings and I am a VERY light sleeper, Texts, Beeps or ANY noise from my phone I can guarantee will waken me up and when I'm in bed at 9pm which is very early for most people my phone could be making noises for several hours after 9pm

I can't afford to turn my phone off for personal reasons and I need to be available to take calls.

Profiles on my Nokia phones were perfect, I created a profile called Night and had EVERY alert muted apart from my ringtone which was perfect. I can do this on a jailbreak app but I don't want to jailbreak.

11. shandyman Suspended

I read somewhere the reason for this not being possible is due to sim cards not being able to hold the data the way the iPhone does contacts, they're more complex now with smartphones. Plus with Apple and other companies looking at Simless phones in the future, kinda will be irrelevant.

12. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

1: this isn't for SMS which is ALL phones it's delivery reports for iMessage only unfortunately.

2: Gutted :-(

3: File Sharing

13. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

That is kind of a BS reason. There is no reason I shouldn't be able to transfer a file from my laptop to Pages or Numbers thru blue tooth. There is No reason that my iPhone cant connect fully with my cars system and integrate the music and calls. If a burn phone I can pick up at 7-11 has this ability a $600 iPhone damn well should be able to

14. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple does integration smoothly among a single user's collection of idevices. When it comes to giving your friend or relative a file from your iphone to their iPad it falls apart. Especially if there is no Internet available.

I would love if apple added an api for an ad hoc FTP service that all apps could utilise to transfer files through Bluetooth or wifi to another idevice.

15. shandyman Suspended

I just use mover for ios to ios transfer of photos, contacts, etc :) ad hoc BT or Wifi transfer.

Of course, built in native support would be preferred.

16. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

Laws have now been passed that if you purchase a music CD you can LEGALLY make copies of it for family members. I'm not sure if this is worldwide or just in Europe.

So if this is the case will apple loosen up on this I wonder?

I'm a musician who has made several music CD's I can let people hear my music on my phone and if they wanted a copy I'd LOVE to give it to them via Bluetooth but I can't.

17. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

What's wrong with WiFi?
    As far as I know this has been available since iOS 3.0, so no, there is no reason you can't do it.

18. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Some carriers don't support SMS delivery reports. I know that Verizon, T-Mobile USA, and AT&T don't.

19. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

I'm on 3 in the UK and can't get a delivery report but with a JB phone I can? It's not hard to integrate its just ignored :-(

20. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

not all systems there are blue tooth headsets that the iPhone can't connect to.

Its a stupid for Apple to cripple the iPhone this way

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Its being ignored by Apple because it isn't seen as a feature to include because it wouldn't be used by a large portion of their user base.

22. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I really miss the old days of Bluetooth transfers. Remember when "dumb" phones could transfer ringtones, songs, or pictures over Bluetooth?

Sadly, don't think iPhone will ever get that cozy with Bluetooth. :(

23. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I guess its impossible to please everyone and most people have different needs, because I simply don't care about any of these that you listed.

24. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

Are you sure about that? I'd google iPhone delivery reports and see how many results it throws up :) its not as if it's an OS crippler, it's a tiny piece of code that does exactly what it's supposed to. Let's us know when our SMS has been delivered :)

25. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

your delivery report is the fact that the message went through... :confused: the network isn't designed to give you those reports AFAIK. i've never heard of them either.