iOS will lose out to Android within less than a year.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aohus, Sep 28, 2010.

1. aohus macrumors 68000

Based on MobileMix Report for the month of August 2010

• Since January 2010, Android has grown 996%
    • Android is the second largest Smartphone OS, with an increase of 7% month-over-month to a 26% share of smartphone OS impressions.
    • Motorola now the 3rd largest handset maker after Apple and RIM.
    • Android ad requests increased 39% month over month, Apple ad requests remained relatively flat month over month. However, iPad ad requests increased 76% month over month.

Is the report insinuating that Android will overtake iOS within less than a year if trends continue with 7% increase month-over-month? I find that hard to believe.

[​IMG]

2. jallenclark macrumors regular

Android should do much better than Apple in the number game. Everyone on Verizon who wants a good smart has no choice but to go with an iPhone. I would like to see % of Att subscribers on iPhone vs Android.

3. youngplaya0228 macrumors regular

I wonder if T-mobile can detect which subscribers are iphone users as well. It'll be interesting if iphone users outnumber android users on t-mobile also

4. tesilential macrumors regular

Keep in mind most android owners got their phone for free or really cheap (buy 1 get 1 free).

It's easy to have high marketshare when your giving away your product ;)

5. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

most? you have no data to back that up. yes, Verizon has offered a B1G1 deal, but that means activating a new account. Trust me, i doubt offerings like these inflate Android scores.

Its the fact that Android is on all 4 carriers, and there are over a dozen different type of handsets with Android on it.

6. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

I don't really view this as a surprise... I mean consider how many variants of android devices there are versus iDevices... its actually a surprise that they haven't surpassed iOS yet considering the wide-set availability of the platform.

7. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

We're Mac owners. In a way, we like not being the biggest thing on the block.
    That said, Apple will open up the iPhone to other carriers soon and that will shift things. But until it happens everyone will have doubts.

8. lilo777 macrumors 603

It's Apple choice to maximize profits and keep prices high. We'll see whether this is a winning strategy or not.

9. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

that Verizon strategy is used by all carriers. B1G1 offers have been abound for many years now. Its nothing new. Apple gets a higher profit share than Android as iOS devices tend to be pricier + all the accessories sales + app store environment. Additionally, that A4 chip is owned by Apple, which puts less reliance on paid licenses and such.

I would definitely be surprised if there were more Android OS devices than iOS within a year.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Heck, I'd like to see the marketshare numbers versus profit again ... :p

Let see who is grabbing the most profit in this same sector for that chart. ;)

We can all make a guess, to see who is getting 60+% of the profit for that chart, which to some institutional shareholders is more important.

11. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Agreed. It is not "who ever sells the most wins". As long as Apple continues to rake in the profits with their own hardware, OS, and App / Ad channels, I am sure they are content to let everyone else battle it out in the razor thin margins of the freely licensed Android world. It will be fun to see how Windows 7 Mobile does. With their locked in app store I think they will be taking the Apple route to profitability rather than the Android route. Whether they ever reach that destination, time will tell ;-)

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I agree, yawn.

The general public doesn't care which company has more market share, which company has more money (market cap), or which company is suing which other company for whatever reason.

13. jaykk macrumors 6502a

Also, Apple took a stance to control their devices. Carrier customization is not allowed. Where as Verizon etc wants to put their customized android build, taking away control from Google. So I guess iPhone on Verizon is a distant possibility.

Apple is never going to win the market share game, because careers are not ready to give up their control. Google's strategy (or competition) is turning out to be exactly like Windows, where there will be a bunch of preinstalled junk from carriers so that they can give away phone for free. Google cater to these careers.

14. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

We've been through this many times--you can't compare IOS with Android and expect any kind of reasonable conclusion. IOS is on one device--the iPhone--and in the US--on one carrier--ATT. Android is on multiple carriers and many, many, devices. So of course it will pass IOS--the conclusion I get is that Android would really have to suck if it didn't pass IOS.

15. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

its not going to keep jumping up like that. No iPhone users will give up their beloved addictions so its just a big summer sales month. Its not indicative of any future trend. The iPhone 4 is just now lately becoming available on a walk in basis for non-techies to embrace. From now to the holidays iOS sales will have a giant number.

16. mags631 Guest

...whether this continues to be a winning strategy or not...

17. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Orange San Francisco Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

They\'re not really free when you have to sign up to a second plan are they?

If they threw the 2nd handset at you with no extra costs at all I\'d agree but any losses made on the hardware is offset by the price plan that comes with the phone.

That same tactic is used to give iPhones away \"free\" on contract over here too.

18. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

I'm inclined to agree with the *yawn* sentiment regarding this Android vs. iOS debate. Though it's not quite comparing apples to oranges (no pun intended...okay maybe a little), any sort of data comparing sales and market share doesn't really give you much to go off of regarding iOS vs. Android. You're comparing one manufacturer, one OS and one product line (in the mobile industry at least), to dozens of manufacturers and product lines all using one OS, whose manufacturer doesn't even make a handset in the first place.

Android devices should overtake the market. They range in price from free to as much or more than an iPhone. I've even seen lower tier android phones being given away for free with new contracts here stateside (without B1G1 offers), which I've never seen happen with the iPhone (stateside at least). I don't think Apples goal is market share, and if you look at their history, it never really has been.

They're both good OSes, and neither one is going away regardless of who wins the market share battle.

19. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

its an OS versus one phone. There are a bunch of different android phones and blackberries. If you want to do OS vs OS add the ipad and ipod touch, and whatever android tablets are out by now.

20. Aaron1021 macrumors member

My sentiments exactly.

21. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Why is there always someone who says this?

1) Buy 1 get 1 free deals work because the device is desirable - who wants to start a new contract for one crappy phone, let alone two?

2) The carrier is the one giving the phone away, not the manufacturer. Motorola et al. make their money on all the phones.

22. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

As someone who owns an iPhone, and plan to stay with them (becuase I really like them basically) why would I even care?

Also people need to stop the whole Android vs iPhone thing. Android is an OS used on nearly all non apple handsets, iPhone Is a piece of hardware.

As a side note, Ive used Android phones and i really like them. I have no bias.

23. aneftp macrumors 68040

• We need to stop living in a US centric world. This is a world economy and saying Motorola is the 3rd largest handset maker after Apple and RIM is just flat wrong wrong wrong.

1. Nokia has been the biggest handset maker in the world for ages. It's not even close.
      2. Nokia is still the biggest provider of smartphones in the world and has been for ages.

Sure Nokia is losing maket share but outside of the US, they are still the leading handset maker.

As for Android overtaking iOS. That's going to happen. There's no doubt about it. Apple doesn't care if they have a 50% market share of the mobile phone market. They care about profits. And Apple leads the world in profit margin on their handsets.

Competition is good. It encourages innovation.

24. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

Honestly android is much sexier.

I see my friend unlock his phone and a thunderstorm rolls in to let him know a storm is coming, the clock looks fancy, he has widgets doing all kinds of stuff.

I can't comment on androids stability as I did not use it for a long time.

Apple needs to reinvent the iOS, IMO.