Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the weekend, the iOS 11 golden master software leaked out, revealing a wealth of details about Apple's unreleased devices just days ahead of their official unveiling.

New tidbits continue to come to light as developers dig through the software, and today we're hearing details on the new A11 processor in Apple's upcoming iPhone lineup, the Apple TV's resolution and 4K streaming requirements, and how Apple Pay will work with Face ID. There's also a confirmation that wireless charging is coming.

The iPhone X includes a new Face ID facial recognition system that replaces Touch ID. There have been some questions about how Apple Pay will work with the feature, and a new discovery from developer Jeffrey Grossman provides some clues. It seems the iPhone X will authenticate a payment using facial recognition, with payment confirmed using a double click on the side button (sleep/wake button) of the device.

faceidsidebutton-800x566.jpg

There's also a reference to Face ID on both the iPhone and the iPad and iPod touch, suggesting Apple could potentially bring Face ID to future iPads and iPod touch models.

faceidipad-800x218.jpg

The A11 Fusion chip expected to be built into the iPhone X, the iPhone 8, and the iPhone 8 Plus is a 4+2 core device, according to developer Steve Troughton-Smith and Twitter user Longhorn. It appears two of the cores are higher-power cores and four of the cores are lower-power cores, though this is not entirely clear (earlier it was suggested there were four higher-power cores and two lower-power cores). Either way, the arrangement is similar to the A10 chip, which is a quad-core SoC with two high-performance cores and two energy efficient cores.

A11 Fusion is a 4+2 core device https://t.co/mqtIKcjBmG - Steve T-S (@stroughtonsmith) September 10, 2017

Just to clarify on the A11: it's two high-power Monsoon cores and four low-power Mistral cores, all independently addressable. No Fusion - Steve T-S (@stroughtonsmith) September 10, 2017
As discovered by developer Guilherme Rambo, there are references to wireless charging in the iPhone 11 GM, confirming a new wireless charging feature. The software doesn't include many details on how wireless charging will work, but rumors have suggested Apple will use inductive wireless charging, which is how the Apple Watch is charged.

ios11gmwirelesscharging.jpg

Apple's wireless charging is said to use the Qi standard, and it will be enabled through inductive charging accessories. Apple is planning to allow third-party manufacturers to create Qi-based charging accessories, but Made for iPhone certification may be required. Rumors suggest Apple devices will support 7.5 watts of power when charging inductively, and the wireless charging feature is expected to be included in all Apple iPhones coming this year.

Finally, developer Steve Troughton-Smith yesterday discovered the upcoming 4K Apple TV will render natively at 2160p and will support several color formats, including HDR10 and Dolby Vision. 4K streaming on the device will also require a minimum of a 15Mb/s connection.

Apple TV will render natively at 2160p (1080p@2x) and supports a variety of color formats pic.twitter.com/tURvLe7bKz - Steve T-S (@stroughtonsmith) September 10, 2017
Earlier leaks have confirmed Apple's naming plans (we'll see an OLED iPhone X, an iPhone 8, and an iPhone 8 Plus), revealed the Face ID setup process, given us a look at the split status bar on the iPhone X, hinted at new animated "Animoji" that will be based on user facial expression, confirmed an LTE Apple Watch, and more.

Update: The A11 section of this post was updated with new details -- it appears the A11 is a 6-core chip with two high power cores and four low power cores.

Article Link: iOS 11 GM Leak Reveals Details on Face ID, Apple Pay, Wireless Charging, and A11 Chip in iPhone X

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
A11 is interesting, I suspect the next iPad Pro processor could be 8 core, and we’ll get even more comments about performance vs MacBooks. It truly is disappointing that this large leak happened, I guess the one good thing is that people will stop calling the iPhone X the iPhone 8... for 2 days. Also AirPods buyers have an extra few days to return their AirPods.

Last edited:

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
i dont see why apple offer in GM things about an ipad pro with faceID since the next ipad could be presented in early June 2018

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
Well, looks like it’s going to be FaceID for everything, kinda disappointing to me, I really wanted some form of TouchID or even touch-less ID with the new sensors.

Now if it works this good to pass security for banks and Apple Pay, will probably never get touchless fingerprint scanning. Would still be nice to have that option.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
What gets me is that if this stuff is in the GM and not betas, then the beta testing isn’t really that representative is it?

EDIT: Clarifying my point as many people seem to be missing it....
I get that Apple will not incorporate features that may reveal upcoming hardware etc in betas, as this would be stupid. My point is that if there are large chunks of code in the final/GM version that aren't in the betas, then the code being tested by the dev/public beta testers isn't representative. For example ... performing X on the beta doesn't have an issue with producing result Y (expected). However performing X in the GM which now has a whole bunch of additional code, could produce a bug and not the expected result of Y

Last edited:

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
They should at least take away the licenses and memberships of everyone involved in the leak. Set a precedent that if you leak the software out of our campus, we leak you out of your job. If you leak things out of our software, we leak you out of your developer membership.

Possibly even litigate. Because people today have absolutely no regard left when it comes to ethics in such matters. Just for likes and viewership/ readership.

128KMac

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
So after everybody gets done grousing about all the leaks - can someone educate me on how all this stacks up against the new Samsung? (I am not very techy - I just use stuff)

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Yep, we don't know the price, we don't know if everyone will talk about Steve and how he would be proud of them or what, we actually only know that the GM was leaked and some things off the GM reveal some things about to be revealed at the keynote. :p

Reactions: EndersShadow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.