Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
The difference is the under 10 people in the world who know how to do it, they are all known, and all working to help jailbreak the devices not for nefarious means.

The transaction to their server isn't secured... meaning one could set up Wireshark and sniff packets to figure out what is going on... then use that in the public.

D-Love

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Through jailbreaking, I can turn my iPhone 4 into a wifi device which in turn can be used to tether my wifi iPad. The wifi iPad doesn't allow the tethering option on the iPhone to be used in conjunction with it. That alone, for wifi iPad owners, is worth the jailbreak.

slippperygoo

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Jailbreak to fix

For anyone who is concerned about this vulnerability on thier non-jailbroken iPhone there is an easy fix to avoid someone hacking into your phone to be malicious and restricting their access to your device.

Solution
Jailbreak your device and then change the mobile and root password defaults from the standard apple password: alpine.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
...You jailbrake your phone, you're taking your chances. And yeah, just as the car manufacturer shouldn't honor their warranty, Apple shouldn't honor theirs if you do this.

You have your personal information on a device connected to the internet, you're taking your chances.

gopherhockey

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
Norton Internet Security for your iPhone. Coming soon...

Exactly... some people are missing the point of the vulnerability - it has almost nothing to do with jailbreaking specifically but how it was done, and what that could mean for others who might want to do harm to an iPhone (I'm guessing there are a few out there that would love to hurt Apple and its users)

So someone sends Mom an email saying "click here for free farmville cash" and they launch the very same process... yet this one isnt' a jailbreak but a payload of something.. well.. bad... either sharing internal data or crashing phones.

Apple needs to figure out what it is and plug it in the next security release, period. I'm sure they will... and I know these things happen all the time and not just on iPhones.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
But it seems the US is the only place where people expect to be able to break the rules and still be protected by the manufacturer.

So, here's where I sit on this (example):

I have a Mac with Microsoft Office installed. One day it stops working. I take it to Apple, and they say it's a bad logic board, but they say "oh, we notice you installed Microsoft Office. We only cover the machine as long as it runs our software or software we specifically approve, so we can't cover this repair".

Obviously that's ridiculous. The 3rd party software did not cause the logic board to go bad in this case. The same can be said to a certain degree with jailbreaking.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
I can't believe that the Apple sheep can fail on reading comprehension so much! Don't break Apple Rules???? HAHA did you even read the articile in question?? It mentions concern because the same method could be used by any web page to kill, install spyware, trojans or anything onm your iPhone. The concern is not the jailbreak or the effects of the jailbreak. The concern is that so big securty whole shouldn't exist!

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
He has once Apple points an iOS device at the site and sees what it does.

Then that is good for Apple and for us since the hole will be fixed while otherwise it would remain available for malicious users.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
It isn't official but I guess he is using a .pdf stack overflow exploit.

it's a guessing game until he gives some more indication of what he did. My money (all 2cents of it) is on a typeservices bug in MacOS that may have made its way to iOS. http://secunia.com/advisories/39426/

We don't know that he hasn't reported it to Apple though, which would be the responsible thing to do. He hasn't said either way.

It would be responsible, but he hasn't said either way.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I also said this on the other thread, this serious security flaw is way more interesting than the fact that the iPhone can now be jailbroken by yet another method. What if the website would say "Slide to see stupid pictures of cats" instead of "Slide to jailbreak"? That would trick users into:

1. Modifying the OS
  2. Installing software
  3. Voiding their warranty

... all without their consent. Slightly worse than stealing a phone number from the address book, right?

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Lol

He has once Apple points an iOS device at the site and sees what it does.

Fair enough. A debug build would show exactly where they're failing. Doesn't tell us curious people where it is though ;)

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that one. However, he did point out it was PDF related.. or so I heard.

Yes... you embed a specifically crafted font in a PDF and watch the magic happen.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Meanwhile, real Android ROOTKIT code was given away to attendees of a hacker conference.

Vs. potential security concerns.

mytakeontech

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
And this is exactly what I thought when I saw this new jailbreak method yday!

While it's easy and all, it still risky (the method). I open a website and they may have access to my device filesystem where the hacker can install malware/steal data/wipe out my system? :eek:

zaphon

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
Well, if Apple wants these exploits to remain hidden, they should allow non Apple Store apps to be installed on the iPhone. :)

In the end, these exploits are found and reported every day (which is a good thing). I'm sure apple will figure out what the exploit is and patch it in 4.1.

Then jailbreakers will just find an new hole.

Apple's just asking for the jailbreakers to find holes as long as they try to keep their little walled kingdom free of freedom. :)

See this is the problem I have with the whole change to the DMCA to allow Jail Breaking. Apple's OS (iOS), Apple's rules. Yes you own the hardware, and have a license to use the software as is on the device. But you don't have the right to change the OS. You want to run another OS on the hardware, feel free too. But people seem to think they have some right to run a modified version of Apple's OS. *shrugs*, I've never done this to my device, nor will I.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Exactly... some people are missing the point of the vulnerability - it has almost nothing to do with jailbreaking specifically but how it was done, and what that could mean for others who might want to do harm to an iPhone (I'm guessing there are a few out there that would love to hurt Apple and its users)

So someone sends Mom an email saying "click here for free farmville cash" and they launch the very same process... yet this one isnt' a jailbreak but a payload of something.. well.. bad... either sharing internal data or crashing phones.

Apple needs to figure out what it is and plug it in the next security release, period. I'm sure they will... and I know these things happen all the time and not just on iPhones.

QFT

Especially the one about FV Cash. Man, I can't believe how many people fall for everything FV related. Seems like FV switches off every ounce of reason dealing with computers if you're playing too long :cool:

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
What do you expect to happen when you break Apple rules. The only reason I would see to jailbreak in the USA (since I live here) is to do FACETIME chats over 3G and to tether. I could care less about both. Jailbreaking has no other real killer feature, Apple has eliminated the need for inane people to jailbreak, which is a childish and pointless act atm

Here's one killer feature, UNLOCK. I enjoy being able to use a local SIM when traveling rather than pay ATT ridiculous international roaming charges. Also you just named two great reasons to jailbreak as well. What you need a list of 10 reasons to jailbreak or something for it to be worthwhile to you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.