IOS5 Auto off feature?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by captain kaos, Jun 15, 2011.

1. captain kaos macrumors 65816

captain kaos

I've been away from iphones since the 3g, and im going to come back once i know whats going on with iOS5/iphone 5. Is there, or will there be an auto off feature? Its one thing i would miss from the BB 9700, as it does make a difference in battery life.

I.E, i charge my BB approx every 4 days and thats with 3g and WI FI on all the time, GPS use etc (basically not having to worry about switching things off to get better battery life!) and im sure its due to the phone being in a deep standby mode. Its the one thing that would turn me off the iphone again if the battery life isn't 1/2 decent.

Any ideas if auto off is going to be implemented?

2. SR71 macrumors 68000

Auto off sounds terrible. I see only one positive (longer battery life) and many many negatives. To list a few negatives: you'd miss calls, miss texts, miss emails, miss push notifications, miss calendar events... the list goes on and on. Why would you want to miss all of these just to gain longer battery life when the iPhone 4 already get's awesome battery life?

Just today I unplugged my iPhone 4 at 6 AM and it's now 12:54 AM (the next day) and I still have 46% battery left. With battery life like that, there's no need for auto off or anything like that, but that's just my opinion. :)

3. cdmta macrumors member

While it's real nice to go 4 days between charges, it's not a big deal to plug it in while you're sleeping. My2cents.

4. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Yeah, I only needed this when my cellphone was just a phone so I'd barely pay attention to it. I would mostly forget it so it only got charged when I'd randomly remember, "Oh yeah, I better charge that in case some one tries to call me."

Now that it's a smartphone and I use it often, I tend to remember to charge it everynight so long as the phone can handle my daily use I'm happy.

5. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Ummm..... just taking a wild stab in the dark but I don't think he's saying the whole phone turns off but just the redundant data connections. The phone falls back to the lowest draw 2G data connection and standard voice connection.

If that is the case then you'd still get calls and SMS, and the 2G connection would be more than enough to the Notification Link Live to Apple. The phone only turns on the more expensive radio equipment on demand. You'd never know the difference.

On my iPhone 3G I really did wish for this with spotty 3G around me, now with iPhone 4 and much better 3G coverage it's less of an issue. Still would be great to get another day or two battery. You know so when your away from home for the evening you don't need to carry a power brick ;-)

6. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

7. captain kaos thread starter macrumors 65816

captain kaos

You want all those notifications and calls while you're asleep??

8. captain kaos thread starter macrumors 65816

captain kaos

What happens when you need to go away form a wall point for longer than a weekend?

9. captain kaos thread starter macrumors 65816

captain kaos

I know im a current BB user, and people very defensive when another smartphone owner asks about the iphone. It is a simple feature of bb, how often are you making calls and receiving sms and emails while you're asleep? Sometimes when i go away for the weekend, and yes, i could have a car and wall charger, but i really would like a smartphone to be able to have all its nice features available for longer than a day!

Like i said, i have missed out the iphone 4, and maybe the battery life is better already?

10. shandyman Suspended

personally, yes i would, if someone calls or texts me overnight, then its urgent, so i would want it.

i charge mine overnight and i've never gone anywhere where i can't plug in to charge whilst i sleep. but battery life is much better, but of course, it's dependent on how heavy a user you are. i'm a heavy usage kinday guy and i can get through from 6am to midnight-ish and be down to 20%

11. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

I have 2 problems with the OP complaints... First off.. Your talking about a crappy iPhone 3G.. Did you know the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 are huge improvements over that phone.. Did you know the iPhone 4 losses maybe 3% battery over night??

Secondly.. When the heck are you not near a wall charger for a weekend? I can only think of one time and that's if you are camping.. And if you are camping then I don't think you should be "connected" to the world anyways.. But other than that.. OP did you know theirs billions of wall plugs thru out the united states? O.. Did you know can charge your phone thru USB? That only adds another trillion plugs.. O.. Have you heard car chargers?

Get updated hardware.. It's not 2008 anymore.. It's 2011

12. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Get a car charger.

13. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

To answer your question, no.

Sounds like if this is your make or break feature then th iPhone is not your device, and that is ok.

14. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

The only good thing about the auto-off feature of the BlackBerry is to escape work. Otherwise it's a worthless feature on a worthless device.

15. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

I know what you mean. To be able to have the phone turn off phone say at 11pm at night then turn itself on again at 7am the next day was really a handy feature to have with blackberry. Especially when you wanted to unplug from the rest of the world when you get home from work. The only workaround i've found is manually putting my phone in airplane mode when I get home from work, or when I go to sleep, or when I just don't want to be bothered by anyone.

Sadly of all the information I've been reading I haven't seen anyone say this feature will make it's way into iOS5. I hope i'm wrong though.

16. shandyman Suspended

nope, it doesn't do that, like you say, you can just put it in airplane mode over night if you really want. or shock horror, turn it off...

17. SR71 macrumors 68000

Yes. Just because I'm getting all of those notifications doesn't mean I need to hear all of them. I just put my phone on silent/vibrate and as I sleep all of my notifications and alerts come through and then in the morning when I get up, all of my calls, texts, emails, alerts, etc. are all there and ready for me to read. So yes, I'd prefer to get all of those notifications in my sleep.

18. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Why turn a phone off? I leave it on all night with three email account, wifi and everything on. In the morning it only goes down maybe 2 of 3 percent. If it's off then I have to remember to turn it on. What if you get an emergency call? I want it on!

19. SR71 macrumors 68000

Exactly.

20. captain kaos, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011

captain kaos thread starter macrumors 65816

captain kaos

You're right there are these strange things in the wall that put out electricity!

If you read my original post i am asking the question as a ex iphone user possibly coming back to iphone. I as asking if the battery life is any good, and if there is an option of auto off or not. Im not asking where i can plug in to charge the phone, as a IT technical manager i think i know where to charge a phone.

IF there isn't a function to do this, say no and walk away, don't tell me why im being stupid to even ask the question.

21. captain kaos thread starter macrumors 65816

captain kaos

God, im really glad i asked this question, to find such great people that jump on you to ask why id want it and not yes or no!

I live in Australia, my parents, friends and family live back in the UK, so when im sleeping they're awake. The auto off function stops my phone bleeting about every facebook friend update and emails. At 7.30 when i wake up, so does the phone and i read all the updates.

Thats why i asked, as well i know the phone isn't using much power over night, when im not using it!

22. captain kaos thread starter macrumors 65816

captain kaos

Wait, am i missing something here?

What is the difference of turning the phone into an autosleep/standby mode and you having it on silent, surely you still fall asleep not being woken up by alerts/emails/etc.??

23. captain kaos thread starter macrumors 65816

captain kaos

Thank you for the helpful decent reply! I hope it is an option in 5 as i find it very useful. I can see me going back to iphone, how do you find the swap back to iphone from BB?

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I really don't understand the need for an auto off feature. I mean, creating an auto off schedule means you know when you want your phone to turn on and off. Why don't you just do it manually then?

That being said, I probably wouldn't use such a feature.

25. captain kaos thread starter macrumors 65816

captain kaos

Very Helpful.