ios5 custom SMS tone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TwoBytes, Jun 7, 2011.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

2. prestomusic macrumors regular

seems that there is a link to 'buy more tones' but not a field for custom tones as per ringtones.

I haven't been able to download iOS 5 from the dev centre yet to check for myself, so I would be grateful for any clarification on this from someone who has..

thanks

3. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

sounds promising. If you can change tones with buying, i'm sure they can be created and implemented..

Still, i'm sure someone will update us today!

4. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

No offense to OP, but I just never understood why custom SMS tones are such a big deal to people. It's 10 seconds at the most, it's not like you could make a part of a song your SMS tone. Apple always put in more and more tones with almost every update, and I'm sure iOS 5 comes with some more too. I think Apple just don't see the reason to allow custom SMS tones, seeing as how not many people would go out of their way to make a 5-10 second ringtone.

5. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Gotta love people like this guy... :D

6. racedude macrumors member

At the moment, the only thing that still supports custom tones is your ringer. I have several custom tones, and they only show up under ringer, not under SMS, not under mail, etc... If I press buy more tones, I'm taken to the ringtone section of the iTunes store, which has been in iTunes for a while, but wasn't well known about. As far as I'm aware, downloading a ringtone from their (they're all clips from music btw) just go to your custom section of your ringtones, which again can only be selected from within ringtones. So I'm sure the feature will be implemented eventually, but for the moment you're stuck with the default ones.

7. Hueyfreeman macrumors regular

I love being in a room with five people with an iPhone. Sometimes I will send a text so they all look at their phones at the same time.:p

8. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

LOL admittedly, that has happened to me before. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound stupid, it's just not a feature that I would use. Although, I guess Apple shouldn't really hold people back from being able to do that themselves.

9. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

no offence taken! :)

it's not a dealbreaker, by far but it would be nice next time i'm in a room of iphone users to for that scenario not to happen.

Sure it will come one day, just wondering if ios5 is the day. Much happier to have other features though so even if it's not this software revision, i'll still be happy.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

People would want a tone longer than 1 sec.
    Really it is nice to have because you can get your self a tone no one else uses. My tone on my phone is the sound of a G1 transformer transforming. But really a simple sound like that does wonders and I know others people have used that are great.

11. SuitcaseB macrumors newbie

Seeing as a jb is "apparently" going to be impossible with iOS5 - I hope they do allow custom text alerts!

12. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Just to confirm. The custom message tone only applies to ones you've BOUGHT. Not any m4r that you've created yourself, such as the ring tones. I've even tried with <1 second tones.

13. dave420 macrumors 65816

Luckily apparently not :)
    I have been waiting for custom alerts as well. It is ridiculous that every person who has an iPhone (not jailbroken) has the same mail and voicemail alerts. We need a little more variety.

14. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I hope they add m4r ringtones for SMS, email, etc...

15. utwarreng macrumors 6502

utwarreng

I've always found custom SMS tones to be a cool expression of one's personality (even though my phone is rarely off of vibrate). I love to use the old Super Mario sounds, which has opened up more than one "oh, that's cool! I still have my old NES..." conversation. Currently I'm using the "Kaboom!" sound from Black Ops zombies, which has acted as an icebreaker on more than one occasion. Sure, some people will install very annoying and lengthy tones (SMS tone shouldn't last more than 1 second IMO, 2 max) but it already happens with all kinds of other phones so I don't see the big deal.

Until I can do this (and a few other things), I will still have a reason to jailbreak.

16. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Well there's nothing to say that custom SMS tones haven't been implemented in the current beta. Guess we just have to wait until July!

17. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

I will seriously pay $5-$10 for a new tone...

18. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Super Mario sounds!! That's exactly what I want custom tones for.

19. MrNickyDubbs macrumors newbie

Agree with others. Unable to set custom text tones. I am able to set distinct tones for a variety of functions (new voicemail, calendar alert, etc.) I just want my "Shoryuken!" text tone.

20. shandyman Suspended

the get more tones takes you to itunes ringtones section, which currently isn't loading via that route, it also leads to a library. this is deffo a sign we can have custom SMS tones, also sent email and received email tones all have the same options as SMS tones does, so you can change those too. the custom SMS/Email tones are just not enabled as it's in beta and it should be turned on either in GM or official release, for now you can just use the existing selection of SMS tones and use them for email

21. prestomusic, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011

prestomusic macrumors regular

Ah they love to keep us guessing, right?

Well I hope that custom SMS tones, is implemented as it is for ringtones. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't. With the whole iCloud thing and push syncing for iTunes content to multiple devices, maybe Apple are looking to wrap this whole area up through iTunes rather than allowing users to load their own?

Or maybe the manual option will remain/be implemented but be eventually left behind as content moves to the cloud?

too cynical?

Oh, can anyone remember to back in the day when custom ringtones were first allowed?

Maybe someone remembers if the beta version had the functionality or not? Maybe this is the standard approach?

It would be best case scenario if all notifications were m4r and able to be selected from one library of sounds. Any other implementation would be a joke really.

sweet news, thanks

22. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

July? i thought that ios 5 isnt coming till the fall

23. shandyman Suspended

you don't sync music to iCloud like you sync to itunes, iCloud is for backing up only. At lease that's the way it is at the mo. the only Wifi syncing is to iTunes on a PC, which is not enabled in beta 1. the way we get content on the device at the mo without a computer is to manually download from iTunes store on the device or via the automatic downloads when you buy on another device. It's got to be heading to what you're thinking, but not sure how soon.

to be honest, it could be enabled now but we don't know, we need a new version of iTunes to give us the ability, as it looks like iOS is ready for it.

24. genexrocket macrumors regular

Yea, I'd want custom SMS tones. The Apple ones are way too long, especially the new ones that are like 10 seconds long, wtf?:confused: I just want a tone that lasts 1 second or less.

25. shandyman Suspended

most the new ones that are iPhone 4 only got shortened on one of the recent iOS updates, think it was 4.3.3 but i could be wrong, they're 1-2 secs now