iOS5: Goodbye to the grid layout?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jellybean, May 23, 2011.

?

iOS: Goodbye to the grid layout?

1. Lose the grid

50 vote(s)
    44.2%
  2. Keep the grid

63 vote(s)
    55.8%
  1. jellybean macrumors regular

A lot of people are hoping for a big overhaul with iOS 5. Would you like to see iOS break away from its existing interface of endless pages of grids of icons and adopt a different approach, such as Android's desktop + app drawer alternative, or would it be safer for Apple to stay with the grid UI to retain its simplicity and ease of use? Is there much more Apple can do to radically overhaul iOS without the grid layout being the centre of the experience?

Personally, I'm a big fan of Android and its customisability. I love having widgets everywhere and contact shortcuts and only the icons I want. BUT whenever I pick up an iPhone things feel so much more cleaner and simpler. Or is that just my inner iFanboy trying to justify the fact that it feels a tad basic in comparison?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Not gonna happen.

Why not also have polls asking if people want a removable battery or a flip-out keyboard?

Doesn't matter what people vote, none of those things will happen.

3. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The grid is fine and there is plenty more for them to overhaul.

4. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well what do you want? And endless list of apps?
    *ahem* wp7 [​IMG] :eek:

The grid is good because you can organize apps and look for them easily. That's what I actually like about Touchwiz, despite hating everything else TouchWiz has. It's because its more functional.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I could see Apple adding more live icons (not just the Calendar) but the grid works for the reasons wordoflife stated (above). They definitely won't add widgets or a desktop like look (Android) because it's a waste of already limited space.

8. LunarFalcon macrumors member

I think seeing Launchpad in the Lion previews for OS X is a sign that the grid won't go anywhere on iOS.

9. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

The grid I agree it may be somewhat of an eyesore, but it's simple and it works. So don't think they will change it.

10. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

they wont get rid of it.....

i would like to see the option in terms of how many apps you want on each screen (4x4, 5x5, 6x6).

11. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I think we will see some visual improvements to the grid, not sure how, but that is Apples job.

12. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

There are far more critical areas which need improvement

13. JASApplications macrumors 65816

I love the couldn't grid format. I hope they don't change it and I'm pretty sure they won't :)

14. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

The ease of use of the grid is one of the defining points for iOS. It's all simple and laid out right in front of you. It's not going anywhere

15. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I think Apple created the Launchpad in Lion because the Grid Layout is going to stay.

16. chakraj, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011

chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

look for new features in IOS5 not coppied ones.

Glasses free 3d with face tracking
    streaming media locker
    face recognition
    even more location bassed advertising
    phone social groups, your iphone makes friends with other iphones around you, and tells you by your moves and actions the people in your vacinity who enjoy the things you like. SO the phones are sharing info with each other all the time so you dont have to.
    mood sensing phones that can tell your emotional state and offer you an outlet to relieve stress, or can sense you are going to get sick before you do and order some meds for you automatically.
    Your phone will be able to tell what you want before you actually want it and arange to have it sent to you so as soon as you want something its already there.
    self aware phones, that can sense where you are and what to do.

It knows when you are sleeping, it knows when your awake, it knows if youve been good or bad so be good or it will snitch on you to Steve.

17. MuggleReviewer macrumors member

MuggleReviewer

+1 for new features

18. tritonj macrumors 6502a

the grid is fine for the phone, i actually prefer it over the other interfaces, there is a small amount of screen real estate, which is prefect for a grid and pages.

but on the ipad i'd like to see them utilize the space better, the grid is fine but i think you can do better given the 10" screen

19. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

3D is a stupid novelty feature. remember when they first introduced 3D into cinemas? everyone was all hyped about it, and now it's more like.. 3D movie? **** it, i'll watch it in 2D and spare myself a headache.

all it does is cause strain on the eyes. if i can turn it off, then fine.. but if i can't, then i will not buy it.

20. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

+1

I refuse to go see a 3D movie, it's ridiculous.

21. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

The grid is a perennial feature to the iOS devices.

22. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

All this talk of 'The Grid' is making me think of Tron.

23. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

24. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Yes, please lose the grid-like display, or make a Launchpad-like app to launch the grid-like display. I'd like to see my wallpaper on my phone, and have less clutter.

25. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nah. I'm feeling the grid. Like some have said, there's other (more important) areas that could be worked on first.