IOS5. Limited on iPhone4. Think it'll happen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WiiDSmoker, Jan 1, 2011.

1. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

The iPhone 4 is a complete beast in hardware with a fast processor, 512 MB of RAM, and a lovely screen.

Outside of any new hardware additions, do you think the iPhone 4 will have software features held back? Will you be mad? Will you justify it?

2. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

I don't see the next iphone being much faster then the iPhone4 so i would say that they will not hold anything back in terms of features. If they do I would be upset because there is absolutely no reason for it.

If we were talking about the 3gs then i would say yes they will continue to hold things back. Just like they did with the 3g.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I think the iP4 is such a boost in specs that it'll be a while before we see features being held back.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The only limitation will be if Apple includes a new feature that uses some new hardware innard. Then the iPhone 4 will have a limited OS.

5. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Of course they will withhold features, it's how Apple try to force you to upgrade.

Wasn't Airplay for example witheld from the 3GS, even though it was in the beta version, is no reason it can't do it, also new SMS tones witheld?

6. WiiDSmoker thread starter macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

AirPlay is on the 3GS. You're thinking of the 3G. But yes new SMS tones were withheld back for no reason at all.

7. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

I think the next major upgrade should bring the iPhone 4 fairly up to speed with it's next incarnation. I think once it hits the second upgrade cycle, Apple will start imposing artificial limitations to force people to upgrade.

Hopefully they don't cripple it like the 3G after 4.X

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hardware or not they will keep some features away from the older devices like they always did before.
    Dont tell me its a hardware limitation that the 2G cant receive MMS, or the iphone 3G cant have a home screen wallpaper or a battery percentage, SMS tones and many others.
    Dont get mad, just JB:D

9. mobiletech macrumors member

They will be dropping upgrade support for the 3G. Limiting the 3GS, and probably not restricting the iPhone 4. If anythin the iPhone 5 may only have a few minor toys added that really wont mean much

10. tigress666 macrumors 68040

It seems they wait two years to limit things that are absolutely not hardware related. Like the 3G didn' have a compass so anything compass related was not supported on it when the 3GS came out. But they supported the full features of iOS4 on the 3GS as long as it had the hardware.

I think most things will be supported by the iPhone 4 this next time around but when the iPhone 6 comes around they will support very little on the iPhone 4 and the 3GS will not even be able to run the new OS. I'm basing this on the very typical pattern Apple tends to do.

11. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

once the iPhone 5 comes out the 3gs wont be supported anymore.

12. Al3x87 macrumors member

Why Apple can't do an update for each Iphones? If 3g don't support some things.. Ok! Let them go, but let's do something for 3g owners too.

13. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Of course.

Apple has shown with the last few models that they are willing to hold back features that can work fine on the hardware.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why?

Currently the 3G is being supported and that's two generations back. the 3GS is even more powerful and capable then the 3G, so its reasonable to expect that a phone that apple is still selling will be supported.

15. tigress666 macrumors 68040

No, the 3GS will have what happened to the 3G this year. It will be allowed to run the new OS but it will be severely limited to what it can do on the new OS. It will be completely not able to use the new OS in 2 years.

Basically apple's pattern is this:
    1 year old, supports whatever it can in the new OS minus anything that requires hardware it doesn't have.
    2 years old. Apple allows it to run the newest OS but it will not be able to run much of the newest OS.
    3 years old: Won't run the newest OS.

So, next year the 4 will be mostly supported and the 3GS will be barely supported and they will outright announce that the 3G won't be supported at all by the new OS.

I mean this is what they have done every year so why are people acting so surprised at what happened to the 3G or all the sudden accelerating how fast Apple outdates things just cause the 3G this year got so little support? Do people forget the 3G is a *2* year old design, not 1 year old? Most replies on here are basing it on that and acting like the 3G had only been around a year, including the original poster assuming they will do the same thing to the 4 next year when it will only be a year old design at that point.

16. WiiDSmoker thread starter macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

The 3G is basically not supported by 4.x as of right now. It makes the phone completely useless.

17. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Point is apple "allowed" it to be put on the 3G unlike the previous phone to the 3G that you outright cannot even run 4 on. Plus, the 3G was a two year old design when iOS 4 came out. The iphone 4 wil only be a 1 year old design when the next iOS comes out next year.

To tell the truth, when I had my 3G I didn't really see the point of putting 4 on so I didn't (particularly since I was planning on selling it when the 4 was actually available). No real advantage. But you could do it if you wanted.

And, the 3GS, the *year* old design could run 4 to the fullest (save any hardware differences) and did fine with it. So yeah, based on that the 4 will be supported next year pretty well for the new OS. It's not til two years til you start getting problems and then 3 years old even Apple doesn't claim support of the item.

Maybe based on even the reply you gave me, the question should be will they support the 3GS next year? Cause that would be a more similar situation to what happened to the 3G this year than the iphone 4.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have 4.2 on a 3G and its not useless, quite the contrary, it boots up fine, plays games and does what an iPhone does :eek:

19. ZenErik macrumors 6502

And is extremely laggy. Not sure how you can even stand to use it, to be honest.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because its not extremely laggy :rolleyes:

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I had ios4 on my 3g and it was unbearable imo

I was experiencing like.5-1sec delays in launching apps to the home button, etc and no fluidity

22. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I think we could see features witheld on the 3GS, but not the iP4. Apple is generally very good on updates, particularly on phones that are still under contract. Aside from a few minor things (battery percentage indicator), they've never left out features on phones still under contract when updating software (except for ones that hardware wouldn't allow that is)

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    I got spoiled with my i4 and when I use my brothers 3G on 4.2.1 it drives me nuts. Its worst than a snail:D

24. css1323 macrumors regular

To be honest, the last great speed improvement was going from the 3G to a 3GS -- even in 2008, the 3G at launch felt sluggish then!

The iPhone 4 does feel snappier, but it's not really dramatic or jaw-dropping. The main improvement is the higher res. screen. Lately, my iPhone 4's been sluggish in between menus and switching apps. I am really motivated to just do yet another restore. It almost feels as if Apple put something in the code that forces the phone itself to slow down as time progresses in order to look forward to new iPhone hardware in the future. Conspiracy much on my part? Hehe.

I'm just expressing my opinions on the iP4 and how everyone seems to praise the speed improvement. It's nice, yeah, but it could really, really use more processing power. Waiting more than 4 seconds for the stock camera app to open is still unacceptable.

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Just downgrade all your iPhone 3G to 2.2.1 and be happy about it!!!

Did u c wat I did ther?:p