Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsiiist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
When I first laid eyes on iOS7, i thought it was a masterpiece, a true step forward from iOS 1-6 (they all look the same), but then there was the skepticism, mostly everyone on the forums hated how it looked like but then again everyone hated those old iPhone 5 leaks but when it was released everyone loved what it looked like.

It's been three months since we first saw it and its two weeks from GM, so let me ask you all this question "has it grown on to you" ?

Last edited:

Zeeshee

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
No. It looks better but I don't see any new feature except control centre. Also the speed is very slow as compared to iOS 6

dsiiist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
No. It looks better but I don't see any new feature except control centre. Also the speed is very slow as compared to iOS 6

The speed is due to three reasons

1. The dev debugger always running in the background
2. You have an old phone
3. It's a beta, it's not meant to be super fluid

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006

airdrop
control center
itunes radio

improvements to the following which effect my every day life (emphasis, I use every single one of these features every single day):

photo stream - a new feed to show me everything that's happening, shared albums, ability to post videos

maps: better layout and design, better searching, better siri voice - i now use it over google maps (waze still takes the cake sometimes)

safari: unified search/navigation bar, being able to turn private browsing on and off from within the app, gesture based navigation, full screen browsing

notification center: i use the "missed" column more often than the other tabs. it's more useful to me.

app store: automatic updates

mail: customizable folders on start screen

every one of the features above make my daily experience with the phone better.

i'm tired of people saying there's nothing new in iOS 7.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
I really hope the speed isn't an issue on the iPhone 5. I know it's about to be an "old" phone after the 5S is launched, but iOS 6 ran well on the 4S, and we can't upgrade to the 5S like we used to be able to every year since Verizon and AT&T took that away...

iOS 7 ran like a bad of dicks on my iPad 2, whereas iOS 6 runs perfectly fine. I am worried I won't be able to upgrade, and since Apple still sells the iPad 2, I do hope they make it useable on iOS 7.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
With time I have come to like the look more and more and the animations less and less. Apple refined the animations in iOS 6 over the course of several years to the point where they had some excellent ones going - the small bar flip for banners, the rows opening up for folders, the bar popping up for multitasking.

They've gone a little too far in making everything jump and bounce now to the point where it makes it annoying to use.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012

2. You have an old phone

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what's the point of a debugger running in the background?

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010

2. You have an old phone

Actually the speed is due to how fast Apple set the animations to perform. Turns out, they're rather slow. It has nothing to do with performance.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
With time I have come to like the look more and more and the animations less and less. Apple refined the animations in iOS 6 over the course of several years to the point where they had some excellent ones going - the small bar flip for banners, the rows opening up for folders, the bar popping up for multitasking.

They've gone a little too far in making everything jump and bounce now to the point where it makes it annoying to use.

You sound like an old lady, the multitasking is light years better, I didn't like that old animation for notifications after about a month, especially since it would jitter whatever i was doing...now it comes down faster, doesn't jitter what you're doing and you can interrupt it, swipe it up out of the way, and, seriously, you like that gray ugly folder bar that opened slowly? I happen to like the animations, they follow what you're doing, and, for one thing, the folders open faster.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Sorry if this is a silly question, but what's the point of a debugger running in the background?

There is always a 'debugger' like service/daemon running in background for almost all OS that we know of ... its not a cause of slowness ... its there to catch problems when they happen, churn out as much info as possible into logs and then take corrective actions ...

In beta, its just hyperactive I would assume to generate lots of logs ... it can be cause of stutters now and then but now slowness across the whole iOS system

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
When I first laid eyes on iOS7, i thought it was a masterpiece, a true step forward from iOS 1-6 (they all look the same), but then there was the skepticism, mostly everyone on the forums hated how it looked like but then again everyone hated those old iPhone 5 leaks but when it was released everyone loved what it looked like.

It's been three months since we first saw it and its two weeks from GM, so let me ask you all this question "has it grown on to you" ?

I don't think 'mostly everyone' on this forum hates the way iOS 7 looks. There are a vocal few who like to make their feelings known, but I believe the vast majority don't mind it.

I personally love it. I downgraded back to iOS 6 a few weeks ago and I couldn't cope with it. I missed the new animations, the new ways of doing things, the new safari, CC and multitasking, and the improved boot time on my 4S. I updated back to iOS 7 quite quickly.

Beta 5/6 has been solid on my 4S. I've experienced no crashes, and apart from the odd lag, its been very stable.

I'm looking forward to the GM, though I can imagine a lot of people who have not followed/don't know about iOS 7 being quite surprised when they update to it.

The Apple Discussion Boards will be interesting.

----------

Features - great
Pastel bubble icons - give me back ios 6

They are not pastel colours.

----------

Actually the speed is due to how fast Apple set the animations to perform. Turns out, they're rather slow. It has nothing to do with performance.

Which is something they will no doubt change in the GM. The animations have gradually sped up over the beta process.

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013

2. You have an old phone

1) Someone mentioned this the other day, and now everyone thinks it is because of this... Sigh.
2) iPhone 5 is not an old phone.
3) The only decent reason. It's beta.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011

It's pretty dumb to say iOS 7 has no new features. There's hundreds of them.

----------

I don't think 'mostly everyone' on this forum hates the way iOS 7 looks. There are a vocal few who like to make their feelings known, but I believe the vast majority don't mind it.

I personally love it. I downgraded back to iOS 6 a few weeks ago and I couldn't cope with it. I missed the new animations, the new ways of doing things, the new safari, CC and multitasking, and the improved boot time on my 4S. I updated back to iOS 7 quite quickly.

Beta 5/6 has been solid on my 4S. I've experienced no crashes, and apart from the odd lag, its been very stable.

I'm looking forward to the GM, though I can imagine a lot of people who have not followed/don't know about iOS 7 being quite surprised when they update to it.

The Apple Discussion Boards will be interesting.

Haha yeah, I was thinking just yesterday about all the iOS users out there who have no idea iOS 7 is coming. They'll just think it's a harmless update then BAM whole new UI.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Beta 6 is more buggy than I would've expected considering it's next stop GM.

Hopefully the vast majority will be sorted.

I like some of the new features, but pretty much all of these are catch up on other operating systems.

Some areas have actually gone backwards in terms of functionality, such as the calendar app and the removed daily event preview pane on month view.

With regard to the UI, I've accepted the fact that the Fisher Price coloured icons are here to stay (even though I find them childish).

What I really NEED though is a black / dark theme option for early morning / evening / night viewing.

After going through the whole Beta with people saying I'd, "get used to" the brightness of iOS 7, I still find it a much more tiresome OS to use. It's quite frankly ridiculous that Apple restricts choice and dictates in this manner.

Oh and it's not even close to a solution to either invert colours or adjust the brightness down. Both negatively affect photo viewing for example.

If Apple sorts that one aspect, I'll be pretty much pleased and can overlook the other issues I have.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Beta 6 is more buggy than I would've expected considering it's next stop GM.

Hopefully the vast majority will be sorted.

I like some of the new features, but pretty much all of these are catch up on other operating systems.

Some areas have actually gone backwards in terms of functionality, such as the calendar app and the removed daily event preview pane on month view.

With regard to the UI, I've accepted the fact that the Fisher Price coloured icons are here to stay (even though I find them childish).

What I really NEED though is a black / dark theme option for early morning / evening / night viewing.

After going through the whole Beta with people saying I'd, "get used to" the brightness of iOS 7, I still find it a much more tiresome OS to use. It's quite frankly ridiculous that Apple restricts choice and dictates in this manner.

Oh and it's not even close to a solution to either invert colours or adjust the brightness down. Both negatively affect photo viewing for example.

If Apple sorts that one aspect, I'll be pretty much pleased and can overlook the other issues I have.

This is how Apple do things. They are never going to introduce a darker theme - it would contradict all the marketing speak for iOS 7, where the content is elevated

Besides, a dark theme would look awful on the White iPhone :p

Bobajobbob

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2005

I don't know whether this has been mentioned but certain apps already dynamically switch the base GUI colour based on the ambient light. The Digg App springs to mind here. I don't know whether this is implemented at App level or whether this is at OS level. I assume this is a custom app function but it certainly would be interesting if the OS worked the same way in a sort of "night mode".

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
When I look at iOS 6 now I feel like I am looking at an iPhone 2G. It looks OLD OLD OLD. Out with the old, in with the new. Once developers release their iOS 7 updates the "complete package" is gonna rock.

Bobajobbob

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2005
I don't know whether this has been mentioned but certain apps already dynamically switch the base GUI colour based on the ambient light. The Digg App springs to mind here. I don't know whether this is implemented at App level or whether this is at OS level. I assume this is a custom app function but it certainly would be interesting if the OS worked the same way in a sort of "night mode".

Just checking in the Digg app I see that the auto display mode is indeed at App level.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I really hope the speed isn't an issue on the iPhone 5. I know it's about to be an "old" phone after the 5S is launched, but iOS 6 ran well on the 4S, and we can't upgrade to the 5S like we used to be able to every year since Verizon and AT&T took that away...

iOS 7 ran like a bad of dicks on my iPad 2, whereas iOS 6 runs perfectly fine. I am worried I won't be able to upgrade, and since Apple still sells the iPad 2, I do hope they make it useable on iOS 7.

iOS 7 runs really well on the iPhone 5, so there's nothing to worry about. The only bit that feels slow is the animations, and that's due to design rather than hardware.

They already sped up some of the animations a little in a previous beta, but the one that still really stands out is the unlock one. It's currently way too slow, and to make matters worse, you can't interact with anything on the home screen until it's finished (which is the main issue), unlike with iOS 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.