Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is preparing to begin seeding builds of iOS 10.3 to developers as soon as next month, according to Sonny Dickson, who has occasionally offered accurate information on Apple's plans from supply chain sources and other contacts. Dickson says iOS 10.3 will include a new "Theatre" mode with a "popcorn-shaped" icon in the Control Center, although he does not explain what exactly this mode will entail.

iOS 10.3 to feature a new Theatre mode - will include a new popcorn-shaped Control Center icon. - Sonny Dickson (@SonnyDickson) December 30, 2016

iOS 10.3 beta 1 is scheduled to seed on January 10th. - Sonny Dickson (@SonnyDickson) December 30, 2016

The most recent significant iOS update was iOS 10.2, which was released to the public earlier this month and included a new TV app and a number of new and updated emoji, among other changes. A new iOS 10.2.1 update is currently in beta testing.

ios_10_3_traffic.jpg
Trend of visits to MacRumors from devices claiming to be running iOS 10.3

We've seen a steady increase in visits to MacRumors from devices claiming to be running iOS 10.3 over past several months with visits now numbering in the hundreds per day, suggesting a developer release could indeed be coming in the near future.

Apple has been rumored to be launching updated iPad models in the March or April timeframe, with the company reportedly developing some new iPad-specific software features such as improved Apple Pencil support to accompany the hardware updates. It's possible iOS 10.3 could be the update that delivers these features, although it may not be apparent in the early stages of developer seeding if the new features are exclusive to unreleased hardware.

Article Link: Apple Rumored to Begin Seeding iOS 10.3 With New 'Theatre' Mode on January 10

007 Junior

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
The Netherlands
Dark mode confirmed?
[doublepost=1483137474][/doublepost]
Hoping it's Apple's name for a dark mode but it's probably just a button that disables sounds and vibration and turns down the brightness, all in one click.

That would not make a lot of sense as we already have the Do Not Disturb option for occasions like going to a movie.

alayal

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2015
maybe the "Theatre mode" disable the sound and reduce brightness or introduce some kind of dark mode. But I think it would not be the dark mode people is expecting just some kind of reduction of brightness like zoom option on accessibility, I hope to be wrong.

Reactions: cmichaelb

Lotti

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2006
But seriously. Dark mode would be amazing, and it seems smart to put it in control center.

Would be cooler if it were controlled by ambient brightness. Also, calling it 'Theatre' mode - that is, suggesting that it's primary purpose is so that you're slightly less annoying while using your phone in a theatre - seems a bit tone-deaf.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
This could literally be anything lol. A dark mode? Maybe, but what does popcorn have to do with that? Instantly lowers screen brightness, silences the phone volume for when you're in theaters? Maybe. But that is pretty much handled through DND.

Last edited:

Dydegu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015
Pennsylvania
Hoping it's Apple's name for a dark mode but it's probably just a button that disables sounds and vibration and turns down the brightness, all in one click.

This is actually a brilliant idea. So many people don't turn down their brightness in theaters and concerts and blind half the audience when they use their phone.

So theaters would request patrons to put their phones onto theater mode. Silences it and restricts the brightness. I like it and the world needs it. These dot releases are getting better and better.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Won't happen. Requires a new API that devs would need to implement in the SDK. Unlikely to happen before a WWDC but not impossible given AppleTV changes of late. But for it to work well, devs will need to implement it.
[doublepost=1483138952][/doublepost]
Maybe it would be like Samsung's game mode where when it's on, notifications will come in but won't show on the screen which interrupts the game or video. I hate playing a game or watching a video and a telemarketer calls in and it covers my entire screen. Although this could just be a change to DND for that rather than an entirely new mode.
I hope so. This is much needed. Sleep mode doesn't quite cut it for this reason.

Reactions: BulkSlash

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Won't happen. Requires a new API that devs would need to implement in the SDK. Unlikely to happen before a WWDC but not impossible given AppleTV changes of late. But for it to work well, devs will need to implement it.
[doublepost=1483138952][/doublepost]
I hope so. This is much needed. Sleep mode doesn't quite cut it for this reason.

I deleted my post because after playing with DND, it blocks all calls and notifications from covering the screen or showing up on the screen even when it's unlocked. So excited I just found that haha, I'll be using that like crazy.

Justim

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2011
This is actually a brilliant idea. So many people don't turn down their brightness in theaters and concerts and blind half the audience when they use their phone.

I use Zoom Filter and reduce white point from accessibility with a triple click along with night shift during the night. iPhone screen brightness has always been an issue for me. Couldn't see it in sunlight prior to the 7 yet blinded at night. That's a lot of steps to reduce brightness, though.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

So theaters would request patrons to put their phones onto theater mode. Silences it and restricts the brightness. I like it and the world needs it. These dot releases are getting better and better.
I don't want to be the one to Larry David your enthusiasm, but can we get the actual releases before we deem them better and better?;) You said theater mode, created a scenario for what it would be, and said the world needed it. What we need is more of your unbridled enthusiasm. Theater mode... not so much.:)

Theater mode could just as easily resemble Samsung's Cinema Mode on it's Galaxy S line of devices where the color saturation is more suited to movies and video.

Last edited:

Ad13

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Manchester, UK
I don't want to be the one to Larry David your enthusiasm, but can we get the actual releases before we deem them better and better?;) You said theater mode, created a scenario for what it would be, and said the world needed it. What we need is more of your unbridled enthusiasm. Theater mode... not so much.:)

So without this new feature, I go to the cinema or theatre and currently I adjust the setting to what I think is suitable and the iPhone also adjusts brightness to ambient lighting. Why do I care that the person a few rows up think it's slightly too bright? Stupid 'enhancement'.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Now we know why the Night Shift button is comically large: they're going to make it half the size and put theater mode on the other half.

This will probably be yet another button I don't use. I hate the two panes in iOS 10. I want it down to one with everything I don't use gone. Bring on the customization already.

"Theatre mode" = Orientation lock except for full-screen video?

They need to fix this problem, but I would do it by implementing YouTube's orientation functionality, not yet another toggle in Control Center.

Ad13

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Manchester, UK
Now we know why the Night Shift button is comically large: they're going to make it half the size and put theater mode on the other half.

This will probably be yet another button I don't use. I hate the two panes in iOS 10. I want it down to one with everything I don't use gone. Bring on the customization already.
Perhaps true about the Night Shift button. It's way too big on such an important high level control.

andy.ringwood

Suspended
Nov 20, 2016

So what if it needs a API. Apple can still have it throughout the OS and add an API at a later date.
[doublepost=1483141625][/doublepost]
That would not make a lot of sense as we already have the Do Not Disturb option for occasions like going to a movie.

It actually does make sense. Things such as alarms are ignored by DnD.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
So what if it needs a API. Apple can still have it throughout the OS and add an API at a later date.
[doublepost=1483141625][/doublepost]

It actually does make sense. Things such as alarms are ignored by DnD.

But would that require an entire new mode and icon in CC? Couldn't that be better suited as another option in the DND menu? I hope it isn't that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.