iP4 to Blackberry 9700

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rican, Jul 21, 2010.

1. rican macrumors 6502

rican

Pros / Cons

is this a major loss? *flame suit on just in case*
    I just want serious answers

2. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Should be an easy transition if you don't browse the web, play games, listen to music, use 3rd party applications, like large screens, want to shoot decent video and pictures.

Besides all of that, there is not much difference

3. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Hahaha +1

4. rican thread starter macrumors 6502

rican

LOL haha

5. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I have a 9700 and a Iphone 4. I find myself using the BB when I have to (business email) but often forwarding the email from the BB to iP4 and viewing it that way. Browsing? Ha. I've used the BB maybe twice to browse the web. Opera on the BB is far better than the built-in browser, but that's winning a fat man's race. Neither compares to the iPhone's browser.

The thing that always strikes me when going back and forth is the polish that went into the iPhone's UI vs. the BB. Frequently I find that on the BB the "back button" or the red phone button behaves differently in different parts of the UI - it gets a little frustrating. That said - the BB gets awesome battery life, though perhaps that's because I avoid using it for anything but email and the occasional call.

6. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

I never used a blackberry before but I know a lot of ppl that are happy with them. I wouldn't ask this question on an Apple fanboy site. Here the Iphone is king of all phones. I do know the Blackberry does have apps, internet, and you can listen to music. People here are just bias against anything that's not Apple so I would ask your question some place else.

7. rican thread starter macrumors 6502

rican

Well I am asking here to get some biased and unbiased opinions... I know a lot of BB users are happy- but I am not too sure if I want to make the switch and fear being unhappy.

8. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

i went from 9700 to ip4. Honestly the 9700 is the best BB out right now. It was fast, responsive and prob the best built BB I had.

the only thing i miss is BBM. learning to live without it though because the ip4 trumps the 9700 every other way

also, im having the same email experience that i was loving on the BB platform. BUT, the iphone actually looks like an email and you dont have to hit menu to "get images" :rolleyes:

the 9700 is a great device...just outdated in many ways

9. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Recently I was deciding between a Blackberry and the iPhone. Just holding them both in your hand for a few minutes toying around with it was enough to sell me on the iPhone. And that Retina Display really is awesome.

10. lobster512 macrumors newbie

I gave up my BB 9700 for the iPhone 4. I have no regrets, but at times, I do find myself missing it. You can customize it down to the push of a button to access anything you want. Email and messaging was great with the keyboard. If you can live without iPhone's safari internet and apps, the 9700 is a good choice. I rarely had any dropped calls and was able to hold it anyway I wanted without having to worry about interfering with the antenna. I know, sore subject, but true.

11. View macrumors regular

I have been using the 9700 for several months, while I like it, nothing beats the iPhone. The web browsing is a joke (even with Opera), email is reliable but HTML emails do not appear properly, freezes quite often, takes forever to boot up, media organization is terrible (video player and picture browser), but the BlackBerry Messenger is awesome :)

12. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

If you're mainly using it as a messaging device, it'd probably be an easy transition. I myself moved the other way (well, BB 9000 to iPhone 3GS) because I was having problems w/ my 9000 and needed a new phone and wanted something that had strong email capabilities (the iPhone does IMO) + strong multimedia abilities.

13. timerollson macrumors 65816

Went from a BB to an iPhone 4 and do not regret the decision.

14. philip in al macrumors regular

After being a very loyal Bb user for years, I gave up my 9700 for the iphone 4 and don't regret it one minute. I kinda miss bbm, but I'm getting used to sending text msg in its place. Keep in mind: I bought the iphone 2g the day it came out and after 5 days used it only as a media device when I traveled. I then bought the iphone 3gs and only used it 3 days before returning it. In other words, I thought the iphones sucked compared to Bb's. What I failed to realize was that ANY phone is only as good and as useful as the software that you put on it!

That's where the iphone excels; the software. I am probably one of the rare few who is able to extract just about every useful purpose a Bb could possible have. I used beta operating systems; custom programs and programs that could do things that 99.9% of Bb users had no idea they could do. That being said, the iphone offers such an incredibly polished user interface and the software is so user friendly that it smokes the Bb.

There are major drawbacks to the iphone vs the Bb. For the life of me, I can't figure out why apple doesn't change.

For starters, why no led indicator light to show me that I may have missed a call or an email. Second, I hate that I can't customize my ring profiles. On the Bb, I used software that allowed me to have the ringer automatically turn off at 10pm and then back on at 7am.

There are MANY things like the above that annoy me, but overall, the fact that the available software is so user friendly and performs its designated task so much better than the Bb versions, makes it hard to imagine going back.

15. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

While this is a funny post, it is dead on. Everything he states that the BB lacks is definitely true. It CAN do all of those, but none even close to as well as the iPhone.

What the BB does excel in is email/texting. If that is really all you use your phone for, then I definitely think you should switch.

16. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Reports that the Blackberry 9800 (slider) will release on 8/15/10 on AT&T. Watched some videos on youtube and it looks very nice. I doubt anyone here would want to switch the IP4 for the 9800, but RIM is trying to answer their horrible Storm units.

17. err404 macrumors 68020

This thread has no context. Is your work offering you a BB 9700, or is there some other reason you are looking to change?

18. mytoki macrumors member

I have iphone 1st gen and BB 9700 (for work). I have to say I really hate my BB. I dislike the UI on the BB, web browsing is horrendous, I must be a tard, but I can't type for ***** on the BB either. The only reason I have a BB is b/c my work will not let me have work email on the iphone. :mad:

19. asdff macrumors member

went from bb to iphone

great things about bb, business email+messaging... i loved the ease of that with an actual keyboard and the way that bb handled it.

but the iphone does EVERYTHING else better :)

20. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

PhoneI is right. If you only want to make phone calls and check your e-mail (without much in the way of sorting before it gets to you) you are in the right place. Too bad they make you pay for a data plan, too, it really isn't worth it. If you pay $30 more per mo for a data plan, for sure you will only use $2.32 worth and your carrier will love you. You see, Blackberry is a self limiting data plan in a phone!

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

In my view the Blackberry is by far a better communication tool. The iPhone is by far a better tool for browsing the web and apps.

Also you have to remember that the RIM has kept true to the core of the blackberry which has everything revolve around communication and information at a glance and if you know which apps to get. For me my top 2 apps on the blackberry are BerryBuzz and BerryWeather. BerryBuzz allows me to customize the LED color for just about everything and BerryWeather is my weather app which blows Apples weather app out of the water.

BerryWeather allows you to set some location but also you can set one location call Cell location. It keeps the temp and weather update to your current location and it tracks you based on cell towers.

iPhone sucks for keeping everything updated at a glance. As people has complained before the notification system on the iPhone is complete and utter crap. You can not see any information on the lock screen and you have to find the app icon for anything else. Plus I personally find the pop up on my iPod annoying as hell. I like the blackberry putting a little icon at the top of the screen mix with my LED light and I am happy.

Going threw contact I personally find the blackberry by far better than the iPhone. I just start typing in the name of the person I am looking for and starts searching my contact for it. It bases on work location and name of the person.

It is all about what you are looking for in a phone.

22. dels macrumors member

Rodimus Prime pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as missed features for me, but I find those things were offset by the LONG boot time, horrible browser, and memory leak that required a reboot almost daily. I was up to date with the latest beta and official firmware relaseses, but that damn memory leak was a PITA.

The BB Bold 9000 keyboard however was an absolute pleasure to type on. I REALLY miss that keyboard.

23. hwalker84 macrumors member

Pretty much. My girl has one.

24. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I say give it a go. Just hang on to your iPhone as a backup.

I've switched away from Apple several times but always end up back with this phone because it's just better.

25. boch82 macrumors 6502

After almost 3 years with the iphone i switched to the 9700. The battery life is much better on the BB which is the main reason I switched. I travel between offices multiple times a day and the iphone would be dead by 6pm. When I go to bed the BB still has about 35-40% charge.
    I do miss the web browsing on the iphone and the apps the blackberry has are ok but do not compare to the iphone. But I use it primarily for the phone and email which IMO is far superior to the iphone.