iPad 1 or iPad 2 for High School Student?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DUDEMANGUY5, Mar 19, 2011.

1. DUDEMANGUY5, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

DUDEMANGUY5 macrumors regular

Okay, here is my story:

I have a 13" MacBook Pro and a 32GB 4th Gen iPod Touch (iPod not even 25% full), both of which are not accepted in my school because of students abusing the privileges and theft... Anyway, some students in our school have iPads or netbooks and they are accepted because they are smart about using them only for school work. I have never owned an iPad.

I am wondering which should I get, the iPad 1 or the iPad 2 (NO NETBOOK). My dilemma is that I would only use the iPad for Pages, Keynote, and minor photo editing. I like the fact that the iPad 2 has a faster processor, video mirroring, and iMovie (which in fact could be used in my TV Production class along with my iPod touch). But I like the iPad 1 because I really do not care about the cameras since I have the iPod touch which is easier for filming anyway. And storage kind of depends on which iPad I would be buying, If i were to get the iPad 1, I would probably get the 16GB model because of the lack of video editing and I have about 100 songs in my iTunes library, however, If I were to get the iPad 2, I would probably get the 32GB model because I could store more for video edits. I do not care about which color of iPad I get... as long as it is black.

So which would you recommend for me? Also, does the iPad VGA cable present Keynotes on the iPad 1?

(and yes, I do realize that I do not NEED it)

2. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Ask yourself:
    Do you already have a camera, can you deal with a little bit extra thickness and weight? Do you want to save $100?

If yes to all then get iPad 1. Sorry I don't know anything about iPad VGA cable.

3. DUDEMANGUY5 thread starter macrumors regular

After all, I could be saving more than $100 also... due to the difference in sizes.

Hmm... any other thoughts?

4. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Thats weird, you'd think abusing privledges by facebooking or playing games, if thats why they're prohibited, you can still do those on an iPad, and its just as likely to have it stolen *headscratch*

5. DUDEMANGUY5 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, our school's Wi-Fi is blocked 99% of the time, and they are a lot easier to carry around with you along with your books rather than a small iPod or a "larger" computer.

6. gigemzach macrumors 6502

I'm in high school too. I would get the iPad 2 because of the video mirroring. It would allow you to give presentations with keynote etc.

7. stevensr123 macrumors 6502

Just jailbreak the original and you can do the video mirroring that way.

8. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Ahhh I see, so I guess your looking at 3G models to circumvent the blocked WIFI..... I'd just go with 32GB 3G to be safe. I personally got the Verizon 64 in White.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm in HS and I don't see the point of getting an iPad. I mean, are you really going to be typing notes on that in class? :confused:

Even if you are, you aren't clear with what you want. Just get whatever you like better. From what it sounds like, you have enough money to buy either iPad. However, you mention how if you got he 1g, 16GB iPad, that it would be fine, but if you got the 2g iPad, you would need 32GB. Why don't you just go in the middle and get the iPad 2 , 16GB?

10. DUDEMANGUY5 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes i would use it for notes, i have terrible handwriting... haha

and I wouldn't get the 16GB 2nd gen because when formatted, the iPad 2 is 14GB, and I would use the iPad 2 for video editing which would take up a lot of space especially with raw video footage

11. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

Are you buying this yourself? With your own money I mean. :)

12. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

Just curious.. HS allows you to use an iPad during class to take notes? I thought most HS don't allow electronics at all during class time...

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I've seen people walk around with iPads in my school, but I don't know what they use it for. No one in any of my classes uses anything other than paper so I'd be pretty hesitant to be the first one. It would seem like I'm showing off or so. But if it was common in class, then I'd definitely go for it. I doubt I'll ever find the need though.

14. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

At my HS, we were allow to bring electronics including laptops, but only a few teachers would allow you to use it, mainly for productivity in their class for research and such. I never seen anyone bringing an iPad to school or using it to take notes at least. Without the permission of the teacher, I would get in trouble if I use any electronics in class..

15. DUDEMANGUY5 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I am, I currently have a full-time (or as full time as you can in high school) job at a pharmacy. Other than that, I have been saving uP for a new iPad since last September. :)

16. chochoo macrumors newbie

none because a high schooler doesnt need an ipad to do his/her school work. unless you're using it for personal use. in that case, youd have to ask yourself

17. MACaframa macrumors newbie

MACaframa

Just watch out for shady students and having it in your locker if you still have PE ;)

18. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

If a child at school really needs an iPad (unlikely), 16Gb iPad 1 is sufficient.

19. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I don't really understand why you need an iPad for highschool... What are you planning on doing with it?? A pen and a piece of paper can take notes and you'll save $600.

20. DUDEMANGUY5 thread starter macrumors regular

No, I do not need it. And yes it will be for mostly personal use, not specifically for school work.

21. DUDEMANGUY5 thread starter macrumors regular

Once again, not specifically for schoolwork, personal use too.

22. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

If you've saved up for it yourself, good job. Much better than mommy and daddy buying it for you. +1

23. tsekh macrumors member

If your school are prohibiting students bringing Macbook Pro and iPod Touch to school, I don't see why they wouldn't ban the iPad. The iPad is way more flashy than MBP or iPod Touch. They haven't done it YET, but it's a matter of time.

The functionality/flexibility/efficiency of pages, keynote, and photo editing on the iPad are extremely limited. They are only useful if you REALLY need to use them on the go, or if extreme portability is really what you need. Otherwise, it's much more convenient and efficient to do those tasks on your Macbook (whatever model). In other words, those can never be the reasons to get an iPad.

24. Snowy_River, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

You know, based on history, we don't "need" computers, cell phones, even planes, trains or automobiles. There was a time in the past when we got by just fine without any of those things.

Could I go to school and do all my work without using any kind of computer? Probably, yes. Therefore, I don't "need" one. But, a computer has the potential of making certain things much easier. In a similar vein, if I acknowledge the usefulness of a computer, well, then, surely a desktop is sufficient and I don't "need" a laptop. But, a laptop has the potential of making certain tasks, again, much easier. And, again, if I acknowledge the usefullness of a laptop, then surely that is sufficient and I don't "need" a tablet. But, again, a tablet, such as an iPad, has the potential of making certain tasks much easier.

In short, get off his back. If you want to start preaching what people do and don't "need" then I suggest that you look to your own indulgences, first. (How many people here would argue that they "need" to visit this site? Anyone? Then, if you don't need to then you shouldn't be here, right? Right?)

To answer the OP's question, I'd recommend getting the iPad 2, if you can find one. The extra cost will be worth the "future proofing". The iPad 1 is great. I have one. But, if you have the money, I would recommend going for the 2. Until you get one and start playing with it, you won't know how useful it will be to you. If you end up deciding that an iPad isn't so good for you, the 2 will have a better resale value at this point. And if you find, as I did, that it is a much more versatile tool than you are expecting it to be right now, and you want to be able to do more with it than you are planning right now, then the added power and speed of the 2 will serve you well. The only real reason I can see to get a 1 right now is if you want an iPad but your budget is too tight to afford a 2.

25. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I remember when i was in High School.
    Trust me, a MBP is perfectly fine.
    I think an iPad will be stolen much more in High School due to the media, and it's really not great for note taking.