Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
It seems like the value has dropped a lot from what it was last week. I've been watching the eBay sales today, and on average the 64gb+3G is going for about 550'ish. After eBay fees and PayPal fees its probably right around 500. Big difference from what it was last week. :(

advan031

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
What did you expect since iPad 2 was announced? lol

I sold my 32gb +3G for $550:D

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Sweet! eBay has instant sale for 64+3g for 525. Not bad considering what they go for now. No fees and free shipping. Cash into your paypal.

jonhcox

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
North Carolina
I'll admit, I actually got $450 for my 16gb wifi only iPad 1. I jailbroke it for the buyer (took 10 minutes) and included a leather folio style case (that my expense account purchased, so no loss there...) and it had ZERO scratches, but beyond that, I'm pretty damn happy. I sold it on Craigslist 2 weeks ago anticipating that a new announcement would come and probably drive the value down a bit. I got lucky though. On Craigslist where I live, they seem to go very quickly and without a lot of price haggling. To be honest, I was ready to list it in a few of the other cities that were within a short driving distance in order to make the best profit I could, considering that I was going to replace it with a 32gb and thus, more expensive unit. Makes it a lot easier to explain to my wife and at least show my cleverness (or feeble attempt) in not spending more money than I absolutely have to.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Not a big fan of craigs list. Too many negative stories. I knew I should of sold when I heard of the announcement. I guess waiting has now cost me.

poe8

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
I just picked up a 16 gig w/ 3G off craigslist for $320, think I got a pretty good deal and even included the apple case and all original accessories.

zenio

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
Timing Is Everything :)

All of you will learn. Timing is everything. If you have any intention of buying the next generation of any Apple product, sell the one you have before the rumors heat up.

I sold my iPad several weeks ago for a price you wouldn't believe :)

Then I had quite an experience, I hardly miss it. But what the heck, it's just a convenience anyway. Certainly not a "must have" for me.

Nonetheless as some who likes having choices, I'm buying iPad 2.

ClutchThese

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Alexandria, VA
patience is a virtue. For those of us with a first gen for sale, just relax and be patient. If you wait, the right buyer will come along. Plus, within a month, the number of first gens for sale will calm down a bit. I've had a TON of offers for my iPad, but everyone is lowballing... just stick to your guns and get a fair price for a great product.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Got $533 for 64/3G with a promo code from gazelle. I found I didn't really need 3G so this time I'm getting 64/WiFi. $170 isn't a bad upgrade fee really when you think about it. The battery life seemed to be getting worse and the warranty would've been expiring soon. I'm getting a fresh battery, another year under warranty and all the nice upgraded features. Just buying applecare would've cost me half as much as getting the new iPad.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Got $533 for 64/3G with a promo code from gazelle. I found I didn't really need 3G so this time I'm getting 64/WiFi. $170 isn't a bad upgrade fee really when you think about it. The battery life seemed to be getting worse and the warranty would've been expiring soon. I'm getting a fresh battery, another year under warranty and all the nice upgraded features. Just buying applecare would've cost me half as much as getting the new iPad.

Not bad. eBay instant sale is 525 right now. Which I'm doing unless someone is going to give me more than that.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Hmm, that Instant Sale thing on eBay is pretty interesting, I hadn't heard of it until reading this thread.

They are offering $332 for my 16GB Wifi+3G and $362 for my wife's 32GB Wifi.
Do they charge you any eBay fees like when you sell it through normal auction?

I currently have mine on eBay, it has 39 hours left and it's at $224 with 19 watchers so I'm hopeful it will go substantially higher than $332. I do have to pay shipping out of that (offered free shipping) and eBay will take a big chunk.
I do have an Apple Dock and XGear case with it as well though.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Hmm, that Instant Sale thing on eBay is pretty interesting, I hadn't heard of it until reading this thread.

They are offering $332 for my 16GB Wifi+3G and $362 for my wife's 32GB Wifi.
Do they charge you any eBay fees like when you sell it through normal auction?

I currently have mine on eBay, it has 39 hours left and it's at $224 with 19 watchers so I'm hopeful it will go substantially higher than $332. I do have to pay shipping out of that (offered free shipping) and eBay will take a big chunk.
I do have an Apple Dock and XGear case with it as well though.

I don't believe they charge any fees. They even pay for shipping all you have to do is box it up. I'm just not sure if you have to enclose the charger and usb cable.

Early I sold a 64gb+3g on ebay that was jailbroken for 565 including shipping. However the buyer backed out. After ebay fees, paypal and shipping fees I'm already down $80. So the instant sale is more profitable to me.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Yea, I don't know now. Shipping is going to be about $11 with USPS. eBay will take I'm guessing in the $45 range. Paypal will take their fees regardless so that's a wash.

I would have to sell the iPad for about $390+ to make out better, which could happen...I'm seeing my model sell for $400-$425...but others in the $380 range. I guess if I don't do worse than it's ok.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I sold mine last week since I anticipated a flood of iPads hitting the auctions. And in comparing the search term on ebay for iPad 32GB priced above $100 heres what i got.

Feb 26:
No Avail: 800

Mar 03:
No Available: 7200

My auction ended Feb26 and my 32GB WiFi iPad (+ camera kit & a cheapo case) got over $600 after a bidding war. But in looking at the market today it's averaging $435 and will only go lower once the iPad 2 is officially out and people start dumping.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Well now I'm almost in full panic mode. :p:eek:

Looking at 32GB Wifi models, they are going for $400 - $450. I haven't even listed it yet so by the time the auction would end on Monday, it could be even lower. If I sell it for $425 and take out $48 in eBay fees and $11 for shipping, that leave me with $366. Instant Sale is offering $362 and a lot less headaches.

Im a little suspicious though...they have to inspect the product and if it doesn't seem your description, they can offer you a lower price or send it back. My description is spot on, it looks like new...but what if they see the value has gone down?

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Well, I bit the bullet and did the Instant Sale for my wife's 32GB Wifi for $362. Damn thing was $599 new, that's quite the price drop. Didn't want to wait till Monday when a 3 day auction would end...who knows what prices will be by then and I'd have to get $423 in the auction just to make the same net amount as selling it for $362 through Instant Sale.

I was used to selling iPhone for more than the new purchase price but I guess it doesn't quite work like that with iPad since there is no contract price.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
Well, I bit the bullet and did the Instant Sale for my wife's 32GB Wifi for $362. Damn thing was $599 new, that's quite the price drop.

I think people don't understand free markets. The only value your ipad has is what a buyer is willing to pay. Whatever you paid for it is 100% irrelevant. I can get a "used" refurb from Apple today with a brand new back, brand new battery, full 1 year warranty and absolutely no risk for $429 (+tax). Why would I pay anywhere close to that for a used ipad from someone I do not know with an old battery and only a portion of a warranty?

$362 sounds fairly reasonable to me. People on CL in my area would be asking $575. F that. People be illin'.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
I think people don't understand free markets. The only value your ipad has is what a buyer is willing to pay. Whatever you paid for it is 100% irrelevant. I can get a "used" refurb from Apple today with a brand new back, brand new battery, full 1 year warranty and absolutely no risk for $429 (+tax). Why would I pay anywhere close to that for a used ipad from someone I do not know with an old battery and only a portion of a warranty?

Completely agree!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.