iPad Ipad 1 users still here? upgrading to the 5?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hugodrax, Oct 2, 2013.

?

Ipad 1 user, planning to upgrade to the 5.

1. YES

59 vote(s)
    70.2%
  2. NO

21 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Will switch to something else (ie android etc..)

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

Been using my Ipad 1 since it first came out, got it that week (3G model 64gb)

and its been a workhorse since then, gets lots of use and was a great tool in my multi state road trip.

So who here still on board with the old Ipad 1? I am planning to Upgrade to the 5, it seems time to make the jump

2. Corey Gibson macrumors newbie

I still have a 1st gen iPad and it works great. I never really got in to the upgrading every year thing. My 1st gen works fine with the exception of a random force close when on the web or something, but still pretty quick.

What makes you want to change?

3. caligomez macrumors regular

caligomez

I've had my iPad 1 (3G 32GB) since it came out, and it worked fine until around the time I upgraded it to iOS 5. Since then, it has just so much lag that it's barely usable for my standards. Also, the apps I use the most crash constantly (like Facebook and Safari). It only works well if you want to listen to music or watch a movie (either on system or streaming from Netflix).

So early this year I had to replace it, as it was no longer a good tool to work out of on trips. I bought a mini, which is great for surfing the web, reading, and watching videos, but not as comfortable when having to write emails, documents, or just general productivity apps.

iPad 5 LTE might be the way to go..

4. beauparc macrumors member

Nope, I'll be staying with my trusty old 16GB ipad1. Still working perfectly every day so I can see no reason to change.

Come the day sometime in the future, I'll probably go to an Android device because they are so much better value for money.

5. mcdspncr macrumors regular

mcdspncr

Yup, done are my days of random crashes, slow load times, 1 tab open at a time, and force quitting any apps before opening the next one. Oh yeah, the random keyboard lagg spikes won't be missed either! iPad 5 can't come soon enough!

6. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Yep, still have my 1st gen, day-1 iPad 1. Here's how I'm using it today:

[​IMG]

I gutted out a 1975 Philco TV and inserted the iPad to play vintage TV shows and commercials in a looping video playlist... a video digital picture frame of sorts.

Project Details

7. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

Those who say its runs perfectly, what OS are you running?

8. Corey Gibson macrumors newbie

Truly Awesome.

9. koolmagicguy macrumors 6502

koolmagicguy

What show is that? Lost in Space?

10. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Sure looks like it. Danger, Will Robinson. Danger!

11. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

wow - it is simply staggering how awesome that is. seriously - that is just remarkable. Thank you for sharing!
    i might try something similar - we have a 50's era ranch home and my wife is always looking for things like this.

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Yes! It's the first episode. :)

Thanks! Our home is heavily mid-century modern atomic era and this TV fits right in.
    :)

13. hugodrax thread starter macrumors 6502a

New apps I want to use that require IOS 6 and above. Also as I have been doing more and more on the iPad you start to notice the performance limitations.

I also plan on going for the 128gb model since I have quite a lot of PDF materials in the library that I use and I can use the extra space.

I suspect I will see a jump in web browsing performance from the 1 to the 5 :D

14. pumazooma macrumors member

pumazooma

I've had an iPad1 since they came out.
    Now seems to be the right time to change up.

More and more apps are not compatible and some really struggle to run unless I close all remnants of everything else or do a hard reset so it's absolutely the only thing running.

Sad really, considering the tech is not even 4 years old yet. It's a perfectly decent device otherwise.

15. Corey Gibson macrumors newbie

You should definitely see a performance jump then and if you're using it for work related purposes, I would suggest upgrading. Don't limit yourself.

Also, have you considered using an app or do you use an app called PDF Expert? I use it for my business and I would never use anything else. On top of being able to add signatures, initials, highlight text, and adding notes, and text, you can also sync it up automatically with Dropbox.

This makes life so much easier. I put Dropbox on my PC. I put PDF Expert and Dropbox on my iPad. Now I never have to sync again. Just open PDF Expert and the files are all right there after it quickly updates.

16. observer macrumors member

still haven't decided between 5 and mini

My iPad 1 now frequently runs into web sites that it can't handle -- the poor thing tries hard, but stutters and jumps and crashes. I figure it's the low memory available. I also really want a camera, specifically for skiing motion analysis. I think the 1 will become an amateur radio controller.

I've used my grandson's mini a little -- it's wonderfully light and convenient. I think the full size 5 is probably better for my uses, but I'll look at the new versions of both if they come out reasonably close together.

17. touchipods macrumors regular

I don't understand? I thought the iPad 1 Safari crash issues was fixed with iOS 5.1 firmware? I know that when Apple released iOS 5, Safari crashing was widespread on iPad 1 and even some iPad 2 users. Also other devices such as iPod touch 4g had this problem.

Seems like iOS 5.1.1 software brought back the Safari crash issues after 5.1 initially fixed it.

Do iPad 1 users remember when 5.1 came out and how stable Safari was? Or was 5.1 and 5.1.1 the same? Maybe a full DFU restore using iTunes and set up as new device may fix the bugs.

18. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I use it for email and to watch Netflix everyday. The battery sucks but it always stays at home to charge when needed.

19. thegreati macrumors regular

iPad 1 is a great device if you are looking for simplicity. It is harder to break than the later models(great if you have kids).

I wont be upgrading until something groundbreaking comes from an upgrade. The 2->3->4 upgrades were not spectacular.

20. jetlife2 macrumors regular

jetlife2

For sure, for sure

I bought on day 5 of the Ipad era, April 2010.

My trusty 64GB wifi ipad1 has logged about 300,000 miles with me, and allowed me to watch video and surf and email wherever I may have been.

Now alas the complexity of today's web sites are too much for it, and the time to render a full site is too long. Just not enough hp. Time to move along. By the way it still works perfectly playing video and trashy TV shows. Its the web and other applications that are slow.

So I will for sure be buying on this iteration. This is a " Tick " of the clock and the improvement will be more significant than the next " Tock " . Looking forward to about a 5X CPU improvement.

So where and when do I sign?

21. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Yes! I use my original most days but if the iPad 5 is what I'm expecting I'll be getting one (I think).

As iPad versions came out, I thought about what it would take for me to upgrade... The 4 actually has everything except one thing. Assuming the 5 is smaller & lighter and doesn't backslide on anything I care about, it will be perfect.

22. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

That's cool!!

23. yinz macrumors 6502a

For those that still have great iPad (1st gen) and says it runs perfectly, may I ask what iOS you are on?

I'm curious to know if my strategy will continue to work. My theory is that because the new iOS is optimized for the latest generation iDevices, the older devices will naturally have more trouble running the newer version. My iPad 2 is still on iOS5 because of this reason. I'm afraid to update as it may slow down the device.

Thoughts? Sorry if I thread-jacked...

24. AntnyMikal macrumors regular

My 1st gen is still chugging along. Mostly used for web and games by the kiddos. I'll be getting the new one, it doesn't handle some of my favorite apps so well anymore. SBP no higher resolution canvas and stutters plus a bunch of other things I'm sure you don't wanna hear about.

It's time for an upgrade! Plus after my retina phones and super fast response I just can't do it anymore. Bring on the new new.

25. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

Still have the ipad 1. It's on iOS 5.1 but it crashes alot in safari. Thinking about getting the mini 2 or the new Nexus 7.