iPad 2 from J&R - NO TAX, FREE SHIPPING

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hotfuzzable, Mar 16, 2011.

1. hotfuzzable macrumors newbie

I gave up waiting in line at the :apple: Store after I waited Tuesday for 5 hours for stock that never came.

Instead, I ordered from J&R Computer and Music World, which has no tax and free ground shipping. I live in PA (6% tax), which means I saved 30 bucks. The guy on the phone said they had lots already on the pre-order list but was pretty sure my order would be shipped in a week or so, maximum two weeks. Better than that ridiculous 4-5 week from Apple.

Anybody else order from here?

2. DeeBe macrumors newbie

3. hotfuzzable, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

hotfuzzable thread starter macrumors newbie

Did yours happen to ship yet? I think they are receiving periodic small shipments but I heard they are receiving a large shipment on march 23 -25. Hopefully im high enough on the preorder list to be included.

I saved a good 30 dollars or so with them, so i hope its worth the wait

4. DeeBe macrumors newbie

Just Ordered Today

I just ordered mine today. They said it should ship within a week and a half. They will keep me posted by email.

5. HankMoody macrumors member

I gave up on Target and the Apple store and got one from J&R yesterday for $589 shipped for a 32 black wifi. It probably won't ship until the 28th or 29th but its worth the wait to save the 9.25% CA sales tax...

6. baummer macrumors 6502a

You do know that you'll have to report the tax on your 2011 state tax return, right? So either way, you will have to pay.

7. HankMoody macrumors member

I guess I'm technically breaking the law but I usually ball park my use tax reporting (I'll let you guess which way I ball park it) but it's still cheaper with the $10 coupon I used and the sleep I'll get now that I won't wake up at 6am everyday to check Target's inventory.

BTW, who even reports use tax? I would assume less than 25% of Californians put anything on their tax return.

8. thenobody macrumors member

Ha ha ha. Yeah right!!
    Thats gonna happen.

9. baummer macrumors 6502a

Law is law, regardless if only 25%, as you say, put anything on their tax return. Taxes don't have an expiration period. If you are ever audited, you'll be held accountable.

10. HankMoody macrumors member

knock on wood but I'm pretty small potatoes in CA (single, 130k income, no house, standard deduction, etc) so I don't think I'll get audited. regardless, I do report use tax so I'm not worried about that; and in the end I still saved money :D

11. baummer macrumors 6502a

Audited now or 10 years from now, still applies. That's what I meant by saying taxes don't have an expiration. Sure, now you're a low audit risk, but things can change.

12. rkahl macrumors 65816

Maximum 2 week shipping are the keywords! lol

13. thenobody macrumors member

How are they going to know you bought an ipad? and where you brought and if it was internet or by person in J&R?

14. HankMoody macrumors member

I think the CA SOL is 3 years. I could be wrong but I'm not sweating. Thanks for killing my "deal" btw. j/k.

15. rkahl macrumors 65816

Yeah, Uh... please pm instead of thread jacking.

16. HankMoody macrumors member

They won't. The reason states are going after big online retailers like amazon is because they have no way of tracking or verifying people's self-reporting of use tax. For instance, an auditor would probably have to spend 40-50 hours going through my bank records for an entire year only to find out I underreported my use tax by $500. An auditor probably makes $2k+ a week. Thus, there is no benefit for the state. I'm not saying it won't happen, but the auditor's time is better spent than auditing things like use tax reporting.

17. OCJeff macrumors regular

Did anyone get there, or any shipping updates from J&R?

I had ordered today and was told they expected some at the end of the month, and to expect a 2-3 week ship time. Anyone else?

18. HankMoody macrumors member

I ordered last Wednesday and got a 2-3 week time frame from the guy on the phone. From my digging around here and on slickdeals, it seems like J&R is getting a big shipment around the 28th-30th which seems about right time frame for my order.

19. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

When does j&r actually charge your card? I thought it would be when I placed the order but nothing as of yet. Is it when they actually have the iPad 2 to fulfill your order and ship?

20. outphase macrumors 65816

It's a pending charge when you order and changed to a charge when it ships.

21. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Guess I'm going to have to give them a call. All I had was a authorization for $1.00 and it's actually dropped off now.

22. hammerfang macrumors newbie

I just ordered a 32GB black wifi, great deal since it's for my gf in NJ so no tax and free shipping. They did charge my credit card which I thought they wouldn't do. Just playing the waiting game now, I think that she should get it sooner then if I ordered it directly from Apple.

23. phatjoe macrumors member

I just ordered the 16GB Black from J&R as well.
    They indicated a ship date of the 2nd week in April :eek:

"hammerfang" my credit was charged as well. Interesting because their email receipt states "Your credit card will only be charged when your order is shipped."

If I find one before it ships, I hope they don't give me a hard time canceling the order.

24. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Charging is not the same as authorizing, although they appear the same way on your card at first.

25. bigwinnerx macrumors member

Well, to be fair, the second week of April, starting April 11th (3 weeks from today), does hit the veryyyyyy high end of 2-3 weeks, which is what I was told.

In the end, it's better than Apple's current "4-5 weeks", so I'll stick with it for at least the next few weeks. If this March 30th "we're going to get 500 units" thing falls through, then I'll start worrying about it.