iPad 2 Has Industry Scared ********!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Blakjack, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Lower-than-expected Xoom sales prompt Apple iPad competitors to delay tablets

By Katie Marsal

Published: 12:30 PM EST
    Related AppleInsider articles:

'Unstable performance' of Android 3.0 seen as...
    Apple keeping iPhone 5 cards 'extra close to...
    Motorola not planning orders for...
    Motorola's iPad competing Xoom won't...
    Samsung Galaxy Tab has 16% return rate,...

A slow start for the Motorola Xoom tablet has reportedly convinced manufacturers to delay the release of Android 3.0 Honeycomb-based tablets as they hope to compete with Apple's iPad.

Citing sources in Taiwan, DigiTimes reported Friday that Google has been "unable to offer sufficient support" for its partners with regards to Android 3.0. Issues with the tablet-centric mobile operating system have allegedly forced manufacturers to delay the launch of Honeycomb-powered devices.

Specifically, Asustek Computer is said to have postponed the launch dates of its Eee Pad Transformer tablets to the end of April and to May. Originally, they were supposed to launch on April 15.

And HTC is also said to have postponed the volume production date for its Flyer tablets. That device is set to launch in the second quarter of 2011.

Manufacturers have reportedly become wary of releasing devices running Android 3.0 Honeycomb following the launch of the Motorola Xoom, which is said to have had "lower than expected" sales. Problems cited by sources in Taiwan include "brand image, pricing, insufficient applications and the unstable performance of Android 3.0."

In addition, manufacturers are said to be concerned over the shortage of key components following the earthquake and tsunami disaster in Japan. Apple is said to have taken a proactive approach to the crisis, offering upfront cash payments to suppliers to secure components for devices like the in-demand iPad 2.

Motorola has not announced official sales figures for the Xoom, released in February, but one estimate earlier this month pegged total sales at just 100,000 units. Apple has not yet announced iPad 2 sales figures, but the first-generation iPad reached 1 million sales in less than a month when it debuted in the U.S. in 2010.

2. shingi70 macrumors regular

They arent shared or anything. I mean some marketshare is better than none at all right? Anywho i wouldnt get a playbook but im thinking of getting the galaxy tab 8.9 to hold me until the ipad 3

3. JeffMorse macrumors regular

I've been thinking the same thing. Apple has such a grip on the market and a huge advantage in that it gets great prices for bulk purchases for components. Add to that a very mature app market and I'm not sure anything will be able to compete. Even if a better item comes along, I'm not sure it'll ever get a toehold in the market.

I know if I was running a company with ideas of making a tablet I'd be second guessing a decision to put it out.

4. diacritic macrumors regular

Why not get an ipad 1 to hold you until ipad 3? This way you won't be paying twice for apps...

5. JeffMorse macrumors regular

I guess that depends if the marketshare you can get will make releasing the product a profitable venture or not. Will Motorola make any money on 100,000 Xoom units? I'm not sure they will.

6. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

They may be scrambling a bit at the moment, hence little real competition for the iPad but rest assured they will catch up.

Not anti-Apple by any means, I love my iPad, Mac`s etc. BUT I do like to see healthy competition or you end up with a "Windows" situation.

I really want to see Motorola, HTC, RIM, HP etc pushing Apple to keep ahead.
    I can see Apples share of the consumer Tablet market being less than 70% and falling by the end of 2011. (Just imo).

7. shingi70 macrumors regular

I want the best of both worlds. I really like the honeycomb ui as it reminds me of osx and windows. Also the ipad to ipad seems like the 3G to 3GS. With that said the ipad 3 may blow our minds and plus if i got an ipad 2 even with the resale value i dont want to get a new tablet for another 2-3 years.

8. Blakjack, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

Blakjack thread starter macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Something to think about....

"I'm still not certain there is a tablet market." He said.

"What do you mean? Of course there is. Look at the iPad"

"No, I mean, I'm not sure there is a tablet market, instead of just an iPad market"

In other words, what if RIM, Motorola, Acer, Toshiba, HP and others are chasing something that doesn't even exist? What if consumers simply want to buy an Apple iPad and not "a tablet?"

---Unknown Industry Analyst
    PCMAG.com

I myself disagree, but it is something to think about. Looks like Hp's plan to wait till summer to release was a well thought out plan. Everybody else is rushing half baked tablets to the market in an effort to grab some type of share.

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

It's a certainty that as the market expands Apple's share will shrink, but that's not bad news for Apple. Even 15-20% of a much larger base will be a good result over the long term.

10. Carouser macrumors 65816

How are you defining 'catch up'?
    How is the tablet market is different from the MP3 player market, where nobody caught up to Apple at all?

11. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I think that the company that releases the first real competitor to the iPad - whose sales come anywhere near it - is going to have to be doing both software and hardware just like Apple does. Maybe they can get by with Android as their OS, but they're going to have to make a real investment in getting their app ecosystem set up themselves so that they have at least some hope of competing on that from Day 1.

Anyone who waits for third parties to supply their tablet with apps right now is going to be waiting a long time, because the third parties only want to supply what's selling, and it becomes a catch-22.

I do think (hope?) that someone will figure this out eventually and we'll get some real competition. Maybe it will even be Microsoft? I'm hoping for some unknown startup to come blow everyone out of the water.

12. ssampath macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

The basic thing is that these other so called tablet manufacturers and these OSs show no signs of any innovation. There is just no reason to buy anything other than the iPad. With the Android phones they are able to compete on price somewhat - but that is nit the case with tablets.

13. Axiem macrumors member

Last I heard, Microsoft's tablet OS (that is, Windows 8) won't be launching until late 2012.

That is not a typo. Based on existing publicized timelines, Microsoft will not have a tablet in the market until the end of next year.

14. Blakjack thread starter macrumors 68000

Blakjack

That may be true, but it sure sounds like a JOKE!! Not a funny one either.

15. shingi70 macrumors regular

The ipad didn't show any innovation either, it was pretty much a big iphone. While from web os i've seen the amazing touch to share. The playbook has bb bridge which will be useful for enterprise. While android has shown a change in what a tablet os looks like.

16. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

If a product is first to the marketplace, that in itself is innovation. Apple took a chance on the form factor of a 10" tablet, the app store that they developed, and using an OS that they developed from scratch. Being that it was in another Apple device beforehand, makes it no less innovative. Here it still stands 4 years later, with no rivals as of yet, in terms of overall performance, function and layout.

Apple was also innovative when it comes to market strategy as well. They quickly ate up a large portion of supply of LCD screens, in order to delay the competitive product introduction timeline. They have also created an ecosystem that is unrivaled, and if they continue at current pace, I'm not sure how another tablet company is going to be able to compete from an app perspective. Developers will go where the guaranteed money is, not a gamble like the RIM Playbook or the Galaxy Tab.

17. ssampath macrumors member

Yeah - that is why people are falling over themselves trying to buy the Xoom! Go ahead I dare you to buy a Xoom - I played with it extensively and it a piece of c#$%. Google and everyone else is just trying to rip off both the iPhone and iPad - they have nothing new to offer - I think as per bb bridge and touch share the iDevices have the more useful and functional feature - AirPlay.

Saying the iPad is just a big iPhone is just showing your ignorance - 15 million people seem to think differently - so far. Looks like it will sell upwards of 30 million this year alone!

18. Axiem macrumors member

I think it's mostly indicative of how poorly Balmer is running the company. They really have had no vision past lone-island Desktop. They missed the Internet, they missed Gaming, and now they're missing Mobile. Office 2010 is a fantastic piece of software for what it is, but it's very clear that they still see each computer as an island, with no real cohesive way to share things between devices.

I'll grant that some of their cloud stuff is trying, but it pales in comparison to some of the stuff that Google's had for a few years.

I think we can safely discount Microsoft from the mobile market at this point. Then again, people said the same thing about the XBox.

19. iscripter macrumors member

iscripter

HP Slate will compete

I think competition is great but this is only the 2nd generation of the iPad, give them some more time. Apple didn't start to have real competition in the smart phone market until they had the iPhone 3GS out.

I think the HP Slate when it does arrive will be some good competition. The Web OS shows some real promise. I always did like the Palm OS and hopefully HP does some innovative things with it. But as far as the iPad just being a big iPhone. Then why can't those Android manufactures do the same and just make a big Android phone, then call it a tablet.

20. Stefx73 macrumors regular

I'm holding back, waiting for the iPad 25. I hear it's gonna be way better that the iPad 6, with 3D holographic display, 128 TB storage and 12gig ram. I'm planning to get the 7G version from AT&T. I'm disapointed about the rumors that say it won't have a USB15 port, so maybe I'll wait for the iPad 26.

21. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

One tech pundit pointed out that the iPad has reached a point where people say "iPad," rather than "tablet," in the same the way people say "iPod" to encompass all MP3s, or "Kleenex" when asking for a tissue, etc.

It has already become the default tablet in the minds of consumers. Any product that is going to compete is not going to do so by listing specs. To a would - be buyer, there has to be a strong reason at this point to choose another tablet device over the iPad, and with the exception of a relative handful of Apple - haters, no logical reasons exist for the foreseeable future. Every new tablet released will be looked at as a knockoff product with lower build quality.

Competitors will be able to grab scraps from a huge market, and some will make money, but the market is clearly solidifying into two tiers: Apple, and everyone else.

22. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Does Microsoft really care?

I mean, they are primarily and always have been a software company. They don't make PC's they just sell a bucket load of software and make a bucket load of money in doing it, and by a mile are the most successful in the world at doing so.

Sure they make a few mice and keyboards, and have played with a MP3 player and have a nice gaming console out which is pretty much a world leader.

Are they going to fret about not have a own build tablet?

They can just write OS's and Apps for all other tablets and make a mint without having to worry about hardware.

23. zap2, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

When he said tablet, he meant an OS for a tablet.

And as you pointed out, they are software first. And since they are software focused, that darn well should care about the iPad with iOS in the tablet market and Xoom, Asus Transformer and other Android 3.0 tablets. Heck even HP with WebOS 3.0 and RIM with the Playbook and QNX will beat them to the market. This is a big lose for MS if tablets turn out to be a big as it seems them might be.

But MS and its hardware partners will likely keeping trying to use Windows 7 on tablets. Which only has pen supports as its on advantage, and since the HTC Flyer can do that too, I'd be worried if I was MS

As far as iOS vs Android 3.0, I like the desktop feel of Android 3.0, its got a Windows like feeling, but clearly made for tablets, it was a nice combo for me. Then said, I felt very home on the iPad, didn't feel nearly as "in control" on the Xoom.

24. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Only 128 TB???

25. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I actually have no doubt that Microsoft, with some of the best programmers in the world I would guess, can come up with an OS and apps for any type of device they really put their mind to.

Their size of course does seem to make this a slower process than other companies.

I can see some type of windows tablet in the future, and when I say windows, I don't mean windows as we know it.

I mean a new OS, but with some familiar windows look/feel about it, just to in some way make it feel familiar to people, but a ground up touch based OS.

Then create touch based versions of all their most popular programs.

Who knows what the market will look like in a few years time.

I'm fully aware the tablet thing, may in part be a bit of a fad.
    Tablets will of course still be around, but who knows if they will just be the 3rd device.