iPad 2 Locked Status - Apple's Wording

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OSMac, Mar 4, 2011.

1. OSMac, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

OSMac macrumors 65816

UPDATE : Rogers states it will NOT be locked in Canada via twitter.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12067824&postcount=105

Apple's wording leads some to feel the iPad 2 is locked to AT&T or Verizon!

"The iPad you choose is configured to work only with one carrier."

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad/start/select?mco=MjEzNTIwNzE

Maybe they are just trying to say
    A Verizon version can not be used on AT&T, and so on.

In Canada they have 3 official GSM carriers, now Apple states you must choose one even if your not activating and no longer mention other compatible carriers cards can be used when traveling.
    http://www.apple.com/ca/ipad/3g/

"Choose your iPad by carrier.
    If you decide on an iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G, be sure to select the model that corresponds with the carrier you’d like to use for 3G service. The iPad model you purchase is specially configured to work with either Bell, Rogers, or Telus. So while you don’t have to activate 3G service right away, you should choose your iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G according to the carrier you prefer.
    "

Sounds like it could be locked? ... Or not.

2. M87 macrumors 65816

I think what they're saying is, one has a radio that works on AT&T and the other works on Verizon, as they are completely different technologies.

3. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

"The iPad you choose is configured to work only with one carrier."

4. osxnewbe macrumors regular

That means you will have to choose between Verison (CDMA) or At&T (GSM). With the GSM, you can do a carrier unlock via jail breaking to get it to work on other networks.

I bet at some point both the iPhone and iPad that is more than wifi will be dual band because the 4G/LTE network is on Verizon will be GSM so at least those will need to be dual band to drop back to 3G when 4G is not available.

5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Good. I hope it's freaking locked, so those stupid idiots won't try to buy iPads and sell them on ebay. Let the ipads go to the people that want. I hope apple restricts the purchase on ipad one per person.

6. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

There is no unlock for the current baseband in the iPhone 4 (GSM)....

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

How about the people who need it to be unlocked for traveling? No way the iPad 2 is locked.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's locked in Canada:

"The iPad model you purchase is specially configured to work with either Bell, Rogers, or Telus. So while you don’t have to activate 3G service right away, you should choose your iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G according to the carrier you prefer."

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Are all of those networks GSM though? Because if even one of them is CDMA it makes sense that it would say that, since CDMA and GSM aren't compatible. Same for the US.

In the UK Apple website for example, where all the networks are GSM, it simply says you can buy a micro-SIM from a carrier.

10. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

They are all gsm in Canada.

For the iPad 1 they used to say when you travel you could purchase a sim from a local carrier. No mention of that now, and they state on both the US and Canada site the iPad 2 is tied to a single carrier.

I'm surprised this is not getting more attention, it's a big change in policy, or poor communication by Apple that needs to be addressed.

11. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

WTF? this sucks donkey ...!!! if the iPad is locked to ATT and i can't swap a sim when i travel, i'll be HOT! if that's the case, i'll keep the iPad first gen. what a load of ish!

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

They don't say it's tied to a carrier, they say you should choose your iPad by the carrier your want to use. In the U.S. that makes sense since an AT&T iPad isn't compatible with Verizon.

But yeah, the fact that it says that in the Canadian website makes me wonder. I thought Canada still had a CDMA carrier though.

13. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

I am really thinking that they haven't changed the way things are, but are using the wording of "work only with one carrier" to prevent confusion of people who buy the GSM model expecting to use it with Verizon. They are basically saying you are limited to one carrier (in the US) depending on the model, but there is no SIM lock on the GSM model still.

Time will tell I guess.

14. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

They want you to tether with an iPhone as opposed to buying a iPad with wireless in it.. More money for Apple.

15. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Then why does it still say in most international sites that you can use the iPad with any carrier? If it was an Apple decision wouldn't they do it all over the world?

16. Rigby macrumors 601

This probably just means that the iPad is sold in 3 variants with 3 different pre-installed SIMs in Canada. It does not necessarily mean that you cannot swap it out with another operator's SIM.

17. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I hope so. But in the UK website it simply says you can buy a micro-SIM from different carriers. It doesn't say you should choose your iPad according to your carrier.

18. neim81094 macrumors newbie

Well if apple is gonna play hardball and your not allowed to switch sim cards etc then they r not gonna sell as good as they want/expect

19. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Why would Apple decide to lock the iPad? Specially only in some countries? They don't benefit from it, only the carriers do.

20. advan031 macrumors 6502

It wasn't locked before? lol I guess this won't affect me.

21. Rigby macrumors 601

I think that's because iPads are usually sold without any pre-installed SIM in Europe (at least that was the case with the first iPad in Germany).

22. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

It doesn't matter what international Apple sites say. Apple still sells the iPhone 4 locked to at&t even though their exclusive is over. So you can pay $600 for an unsubsidized iPhone and you will still be locked to at&t. This is not how it works in other countries: you pay full price, you get factory unlocked.

Since the US is pretty much the only place where Apple is not selling factory unlocked iPhones, it's totally conceivable they would now this with iPad.

23. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I hope that's it. :)

24. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

This is ridiculous! For one, you're paying full price, and for another both the GSM and CDMA models have the same radio. Why aren't they just using a universal design that ignores the SIM card when set to use CDMA?

It seriously made me double head palm. :D