iPad 2 or 3 for poor eyesight

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shyam09, Mar 9, 2012.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

I know there are millions of threads out there asking the same question: iPad 2 (cheaper) or new iPad? [WIFI only]

My question is sadly the same, but has a twist to it: which do you think is good for someone with poor distance sight (nearsightedness i think: cannot see far away objects). I hate wearing glasses or contacts and for the past 5 years or so, I have adjusted and only wear glasses to drive, otherwise I am happy with the world being blurry :) (but that's another topic).

So my question is: would the camera, retina display, possibly more memory, and better processor be useful.
    I'm in college and I want to use my iPad as a textbook container, and of course the games and apps :)
    So does anyone have suggestions?

I'm leaning towards the new iPad because ... it's new, lolz. I already have a lovely MBP 13" (late 2010 model) and a desktop PC. I do have cash to spend, but only if it's worth it. If I can't take advantage of many of the core features of the new iPad, what's the point?

Right now it seems like I have changed to an iPad 2, but I'm still lost.

Would the A5X really be a huge upgrade over the A5 if you aren't into too many graphic intense games, and will have mainly apps?
    Also, has anyone found 512 MB of memory lacking? I've never had an iPad before so yeah :)

One thing I am thinking about is the obvious resell value which is now much lower. I plan on keeping this for maybe a year or two, but it might last me through college!

I apologize for this long and confusing post, but any help/tips/suggestions would be great.

2. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

I read your post and I recommend the new iPad.

/bradllez

3. troop231 macrumors 603

iPad 3rd gen, it will make your eyes happier.

[/thread]

4. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

I would recommend the iPad 3, unless you're strapped for cash. The retina display would be ideal for textbooks and every other kind of reading on the iPad.

The RAM in the iPad 2 is nothing to be worried about. It's more than sufficient. I don't think the A5X will be too big of a leap. It's really only to drive the new resolution, not provide a performance jump like the A4->A5 was.

Until the next generation is released next year, I'd say the iPad 2 resale value will hover somewhere around $300-350 for the 16GB wifi.

5. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I'm nearsighted ( also refuse to wear glasses except when driving .... not interested in contacts) and I am working well with an original iPad. The 2 would be fine, but obviously the most recent with the Retina would be better for anyone regardless of visual challenges.

6. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Keep in mind that textbooks take up beaucoup storage, so get a 64 if you can afford it.

7. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

That's what it goes for now...down the line you're looking at 250 the most for a iPad 2 as far as resale value.

8. M87 macrumors 65816

My eyesight is very poor, but I had no problem telling the difference between my 3GS's screen and the iPhone 4's retina display. Better is better.

9. shyam09, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

Wow, thank you for the responses! Keep em coming! :)

I know that the iPad 3 is superior, but with the deal @ microcenter for $360, and assuming i can PM that at Best Buy, and my ~$50 in G.C.s, the iPad 2 seems really irresistible!

For iPad 2 owners: has your iPad struggled to display content while watching 720/1080p movies or something? I doubt i will use my iPad as a movie machine b/c that's the job of my mac and my desktop, but just curious?

Also, how is current reading on your iPad 2? I know retina kicks ass, but since I have never used a retina before, and if the 2 is decent enough, I might settle for the 2. Would retina be worth the $~150 upgrade?

thank you for the responses! You guys are really helping me out :D

10. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Resale value is great on these things. iPad 1 wifi-only at Amazon is 260 for a 32gig. Add 100 more for an iPad 2. If you have the money, you HAVE to get the iPad with Retina screen. Your eyes will thank you. The only reason anyone should even look at an iPad 2 now is if they can't afford the new one. And quite frankly if you can't afford the new one, you shouldnt be buying the old one either.

11. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Retina display helps very well so I think you should go with iPad 3

12. GoGa macrumors regular

GoGa

I would go with the new iPad, after reading on my 2 for a while my eyes strain and start to get uncomfortable. That's the whole reason I'm getting the new one, the display will be stunning.
    Personally I think it is well worth the extra money :)

13. Jarson macrumors regular

Jarson

Answer is quite simple: if you have cash, go for the new one.

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

That pretty well sums it up. Better display is always better even if you had perfect vision.

15. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Reading on a high PPI screen is much more pleasant, especially if, as in the iPad's case, that screen is resolution independent.

Go for the new one if you have the cash.

16. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I can't see how the resolution itself, impacts on eye strain. Surely it's the light coming from the screen which affects it?

Case in point: if the iPad 2 had an E-ink screen, with the same resolution and pixel density, vs the new iPad, with it's current IPS LCD, everyone would be saying that the iPad 2's screen is way better for the eyes.
    As for the screen resolution itself, causing eye strain, that must be placebo, mustn't it?

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, everyone won't be saying e-ink is better. I, for one, find the e-ink Kindle to cause me a headache because it's not really black on white, but rather dark grey on light grey, therefore not providing me as much contrast as I need.

But that aside, higher resolution does mean you have to strain less to make out details on-screen, like is that an "i" or an "l"?

If you have perfect eyesight you might not appreciate the difference, but believe me, those of us with less than perfect eyesight can really benefit from higher resolution screens.

18. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Sorry but higher quality/resolution screen is always better no matter if you have good or not so good vision.

19. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I know that when I moved from a 1440x900 15" Pro to a 17" 1920x1200 screen my eyes felt a lot more comfortable. And that's the same screen tech.

20. dizzy130 macrumors member

I'm really really nearsighted, way too nearsighted to wear glasses or contacts only when driving. I can't read a book without my glasses unless I hold it about 2 inches from my face. One reason I love my iPad 1 is that I can make the print on a kindle book really big so I can read in bed without my glasses or contacts - not an option for me with a printed book! I'd recommend the iPad 3 for you because the better display will obviously make this even easier and may make it possible for you to read the new iPad from further away than the iPad 2 - I just checked and there's a definite difference between how far I can hold the iPad and the iPhone 4S and read type thats the same size. It may make the difference between being able to read normal-size type at a reasonable distance from your face or not, depending on how bad your sight is.

21. anirudh macrumors 6502

OP why dont you wait for the iPad3 to come out, try it in person and then decide. Neither (both) will cause eye strain with extended use, but yes, the higher res display will be easier on your eyes. Not that big of a difference though.

22. elaniemay macrumors 6502

elaniemay

I have Magoo eyes and that's the driving force in my iPad purchase. Looking at my iPad 2, then iP4S, then back to iPad 2 is painful. The iP4S is so much easier on my eyes.

It's not worth the headache; get the 3rd generation iPad.

23. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

I never understood the logic behind buying a lower pixel density just because of bad eyesight. If anything you want higher pixel density, your brain will have more information to work with, so even when it's hard to see you might be able to make out the details.

It's not like fonts are going to be any smaller, they are the same size but sharper and so they are easier to read.

24. rgr555 macrumors 6502

the difference between your pooreyesight and 20/20 vision is far greater than the difference of 1 million microscopic pixels.

It will not matter which iPad you get.